(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V6.0 - "Hellgate" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

TacticalDragon

@Xeryx

you should not install the mod files in your root folder, because as you stated, some of them will work with this method . For example the weapons_gc.xml( because the mod edit all the weapon and add new ones), but with other files DONT (take a look to strings.xml, they actually weight less kb than vainilla one) because with the modmerge system..you dont have to edit all the xml..just add the new one lines to the vainillas xml in the main root folder (i dont know if you understand what im saying,or im explaining myself correctly because english is not my first language, sorry).

But as i said, if you add all the files into the main folder you will get a lot of new random and unpredictables issues.

about grenades, yes this change was intended, because there is a lot of time when you throw a grenade and the soldier moronly fails and bounce in some near wall falling just aside him blowing him up, so with this..if this kind of escenario happens...then you can run away from the blast (only if you have remaining TUs of course).

@Drages, yes that was someone tried to explain to you (sorry i dont remember who was), the heavy weapons are mostly a support weapon, you should move a soldier to a tile where you can have some decent cover and also a relative open vision area( without so much obstacles) and then spray bullets to enemies, covering your troops, trying to manouver and flanking the enemies if possible.

And what do you mean with > its hard to use < , and yeah i used to have this issue in the 5.31, when vipers love to hunt my officers xD...specially LTs :rolleyes:

thank you very much and im glad you are enjoying the mod, thanks for your words :).

about a couple of your points, is almost impossible to catch every ufo in a wave, that because you are a little behind, with planes, and even if you have the top planes, the ufos can overwhelm you in some times.

yes you are right about the invisible aliens, sometimes it happens to me but with alpha vipers, but after you hit them with any weapon they re-appears again this was notified earlier thanks for your confirmation :).

the same with male coyote armor, but i never heard about the ### with the cruiser, can you please give me a savegame to confirm this?, and yes..this is the reason why u dont have corsair or better planes. You need to research every core you get to improve your tecnology :). Again thank you by your words :)!.

Thanks for your quick response, blackwolf :). Here is the screen capture of #### in question:

xnt_possible_bug1.jpg

xnt_possible_bug1.jpg

xnt_possible_bug1.jpg.2aefa77ae6a9885235

I have been playing this mod for the best part of the last couple of weeks but still have a question. The dynamic ufo spawns means ufos can spawn randomally yet does this mean the crewlevels + current weapontech are random to? Cause sometimes i shoot down a light scout ufo and send my rookies to train on those missions yet the aliens in the ufo have the latest heavy plasma weapons.

Is this intented or am I just unlucky?

@NATOguns

a particular UFO type can be loaded with different crew depending on a mission the UFO accomplishes. Like scout mission crew is generally weaker than "base attack" crew. Also, within each type of a mission, a certain variety is programmed, it can be significant.

you can try out my loadouts for small ships:

[ATTACH]5525[/ATTACH]

crew size is lesser and they are more lore-friendly. Easier in GC but you will get less $$ for captured equipment... overwrite the contents to <XNT mod folder\ufocontents\>

scouts for XNT.zip

scouts for XNT.zip

Edited by podbelski

Thanks for your quick response, blackwolf :). Here is the screen capture of #### in question:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5524[/ATTACH]

Fine them, im gonna report this to be fixed then sooner as possible, ty by your help :).

two more questions:

1) do I get it right - "datacore disassembling" works only once for each ship type, ie no effect for repeating the project?

2) how can it be that already 3 of my men have APs > 120?

The dissamsembly system work in this way:

first you get a ufo core (for big ufos, corvette and onward). you need to study it first to get a description and a disarming protocol,then you need to capture and dissamble it AGAIN (using the project in the manufacture tab) to get the techs upgrades regarding to that core...then you can capture and dissamble any other core for the same type you have to get a item called something like "corvette recupered parts" for more money than if you sell the core directly (500 $ core, 100k with dissambled parts)...this mean that for example, every corvette mission will give you:

-40k~ in captured stuff (rounded to minimun, the real number is the double or even more sometimes[a landed mid game corvette to give a example], but is just to you make an idea)

-100k dissambled core .

giving you a total of 150k~ by corvette mission (if you do the project of course), this makes all the bigger ufos a juicy target, so you will not just airstrike all of them after you get the foxtrot because with airstrike you win only 25k with the same corvette, in the early mid game...this is a miracolous livesaver, giving you a good cash income method, and helping you if you are being punched in the air combat.

Btw 120 AP's...omg..but did you hired them with less aps and then they scalate up to that crazy number?..or they come with those numbers ?.

I have been playing this mod for the best part of the last couple of weeks but still have a question. The dynamic ufo spawns means ufos can spawn randomally yet does this mean the crewlevels + current weapontech are random to? Cause sometimes i shoot down a light scout ufo and send my rookies to train on those missions yet the aliens in the ufo have the latest heavy plasma weapons.

Is this intented or am I just unlucky?

Is like poldbeski stated, they are dependant of the mission they are doing, is more logical to find a better armed and trained crew in a "militaristic type" of mission , than in a researching mission, but you also have to take in mind that the "small scout" is just a method of transport for them, is like the alliens said...oh they sended a charlie, dont worry guys they just send humans with ballistic weapons in jackal armours, and them get melted by wolf-wearing troops with plasma weaponry :P.

This was made by kabill to eliminate the old vainilla method when it was like :

-first month: send scouts

-second month: never use scouts again, send only corvettes

and so on, with this it could be even december and still found a scout doing a research mission, or even found a landing ship earlier than vainilla. As the name says is more dynamic.

But regarding that you are also free to modified the files to your own playstyle , but i hope you keep this in consideration :).

hi collie, tell me, do you mean, tall black,ooor the THE TALLEST WHITE-ish one?.

Well it takes a lot of bullets (specially if you are using basic ballistic weaponry), i downed them with the very basic on veteran speding like two turn of concentrate firepower, is better if you use explosives(grenades,rockets AND c4 fpr tje best).

if you could use a mixture of machinegun and explosives they will fall for sure (if you think they are bad, i will not tell you how they were in the 5.31 version xDDDDD).

@podbelski that sound like a really big punch of luck xD, but yes they are relationed with the difficulty level you are using, i frankly dont know what you should do with that super soldiers :confused:.

OOOOOOHHHH thats explain a lot , well. Use the force, i mean...literally..use brute force, explosive, all the explosive you can, toss c4 and them spray and pray with bullets hopping to put him down.

Im curious to ask, why u haven't updated :P?, still trapped with the old gameplay and want to finish it before upgrade to 6.0 ?

Edit:

Guys i need your help with something, could you please try this savegame and told me if all the flags for the soldiers are working?

(the brazilia,irish and indian ones are getting just a UN default flag)[ATTACH]5537[/ATTACH]

is easy to know who are the guys im talking about, just see their names...

(i use the skitsos map pack so if you dont use it maybe you get a ctd trying to load it).

zt0 mission start.sav

zt0 mission start.sav

Edited by blackwolf

[ATTACH]5542[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5543[/ATTACH]

i post this again, i dont put the weapons gc in the root folder, but i just check to be sure, also i use the role in minibar and select next mods . try again please >-<.

Couldn't load the save! Technology Researches.CruiserAssaultAnalysis is undefined. It is likely than a mod defiing the technology is missing...

oh, i forgot to mention than i use FITH :/..it was recomended in the OP, and must be instaled with the mod tools just like everything else, sorry for that.

Hm. I installed FITH mod with manual copying to the main directory (i can use the break charges in the GC).

Maybe it's another problem?

@Blackwolf, I will do some captures with FRAPs over the next few days, apparently the AMD "gaming evolved" screen capture is "devolved", and can only be used in their software.

So I decided to load a couple of mods, mainly graphics mods for the soldiers and stuff. Started a new game had some issues with still having "cartoony" soldiers, but I suspect that is normal because your mod has more soldiers added to it. Correct?

Because of the post above, I installed the FITH 3.0, latest revision I think, mod and that is where I saw an immediate screw up of the weapons. I initially thought Fith was incorporated into your mod ! right? because of the breaching charges already being in there originally, right? The graphic and stats are there? I will check into the file further when I get some time.

Looking at FITH's files it is supposed to be updated and mod friendly?? But I am wondering now. When FITH wasn't originally installed the ammo was correct, but the other issues persisted.

I had a couple of crashes, I think because of an explosive that was set to go off.

However, I have had this happen without any other mods, installed as well. so this point's me to the modular system having bugs.

I also had a problem with Alien weapons not being correct. IE, Aliens threw smoke grenades at me, instead of the ones that explode purple gas. I don't think this is normal. Also there were no Purple gas effects from the weapons at all.

I was only able to play one mission today sorry.

For anyone who wants to replace a file in the main assets directory, it HAS to be the full and complete file, it cannot be a partial file that intentionally uses the Mod Installer to add the items into the game.

Before you do something like that, rename the original file by adding (orig) in the assets directory, to the name so you know it is the original file! I would only do one at a time if you are going to do it. I would also recommend using Steams backup system to backup your original install, it will save you lots of time.

Edited by Xeryx

i dont know if i posted before (im sure about it), after you installed the FITH with the mod tools in the launcher, you must go to mods folder and search for the FiTH and delet the weapon.xml and weapongc.xml. For some reason if you have those toguether they overlap the changes done by XNT so the weapons work like vainilla again.

As for select next and soldier role, i made a work around to this by instaled it using the mod tools but then searched in their respective folders and then MANUALLY using the .bat patchs files that are in there.

I dont know why anyone couldnt load my savegames so i will put screenshots instead(i use dropbox for that task),

, you must go to mods folder and search for the FiTH and delet the weapon.xml and weapongc.xml. For some reason if you have those toguether they overlap the changes done by XNT so the weapons work like vainilla again.,

So then this proves that the Modular system cannot be trusted to handle updating/merging the info correctly. That ultimately means, that all other weapon and weapon_gc should be disabled so that the game can only read yours. When I put your weapons files in the root assets directory, I eliminated it being able to revert back to vanilla. I am now wondering what other files are affected by this bug?

I think it would be best for you guys to either incorporate FITH3.0 mod into your files, or don't use it at all because it is not compatible at this point.(as it is packaged)

As soon as I removed those weapons files from SITH30, the ammo levels were back to normal.

I also think that you guys need to further test this issue, and report it to the XCE forums with your proof, because they won't listen to a newb, like me :)

Edit: As I suspected and just for the record, Vanilla or xce files were in fact partially overriding the XNT weapons files settings!

In order to prove this I renamed the Weapons and weapons_gc files in the root assets directory and the XCE weapons_gc file. I then verified there were no other mods with these files other than XNT60 that could be read.

Viola! my ground combat is now working 100% XNT mode. BTW Blackwolf grenades blow up when thrown, not at the end of the turn, that is vanilla or XCE overriding the XNT files. Aliens are now back to shooting their "purple Haze" and throwing the correct grenades.

For those of you having issues try this method of renaming the files and see if that fixes your issues. Then report back to the forums...in force. I will continue testing as well.

It seems to me, that this would be a HUGE deal for this mod. Since you have spent so much time converting files to the modular system. In fact it could mean that the only reliable way to run your mod is to revert back to overwriting the root asset files, until the modular system works correctly.

I have noticed that your aircraft are not acting correctly when it comes to the weapons mounts on the equiping screen. Your aircraft weapons file has 2 sidewinders. You are supposed to be able to select with the mouse and it bring up a list of weapons suitable for that mount. In this case it should show sidewinder x2 and it does not.

I have taken the liberty of fixing your two aircraft files. The aircraft mounts were really messed up and so were the missile types for the AC weapons. I will look at them further when I get more time.

Now you can use the different guns on the aircraft, and pick the proper missiles. NOTE heavy mounts can also equip normal mount items (sidewinders) as well. I will look at your mounts positions later as well. As a side note and may be just coincidence, but now with the fixed files. I am seeing MAJOR ufo activity, unlike before..I wonder if these files having errors were messing something up in the waves.

[ATTACH]5551[/ATTACH]

XNT V6.0 (Hellgate FIXED).zip

XNT V6.0 (Hellgate FIXED).zip

Edited by Xeryx
Attach fixed files

It seems to me, that this would be a HUGE deal for this mod. Since you have spent so much time converting files to the modular system. In fact it could mean that the only reliable way to run your mod is to revert back to overwriting the root asset files, until the modular system works correctly.

This will only happen if person who created modular system stops being pain in ass and jerk,which will never happen in other words.Also reverting mod to old method will require as much effort as it was needed for conversion, so I don't think thats going to happen especially since only developer that's active in the moment is TD who had car accident (second time in row since development of XNT began) As for aircrafts ...If you meant on not being be able to choose whatever missile you want and you are stuck with what you get,that was intentional and it's feature of XNT.

Edited by Sentelin

This will only happen if men who created modular system stops being pain in ass and jerk,which will never happen in other words.Also reverting mod to old method will require as much effort as it was needed for conversion, so I don't think thats going to happen especially since only developer that's active in the moment is TD who had car accident (second time in row since development of XNT began) As for aircrafts ...If you meant on not being be able to choose whatever missile you want and you are stuck with what you get,that was intentional and it's feature of XNT.

Well, it does seem to be the case..just from my little time on these boards. Ego's hiding behind keyboards! That is a terrible combination no matter what, but especially when they are the "Guru's". It may as well spell death for XCE and all other mods, that even use it. That is sad, because I like this game and it's modability!

Sorry to hear about T, heal fast! does he live in Russia? (small joke) cuz 2 accidents in a row is hardcore.

It is regrettable that Air combat and aircraft are setup that way. This game is about choices, and taking them away only weakens this mod. If the Air combat is balanced correctly, you should be able to come up with good combinations of aircraft and weapons to meet the alien threats, that are presented. Something I will be working on for myself.

BTW thanks for the reply Sentilin

Found this in my log

Fri Sep 19 23:11:13 2014: ##### : Missing string for label 'REsearchView.PerMonth'

Fri Sep 19 23:12:03 2014: ##### : Missing string for label 'REsearchView.PerMonth'

for XNT.

As reported by others, I am also having lots of disappearing minor ....forgot their name...alien eggs. What file are they in?? I haven't messed with aliens yet..but I suspect that another vanilla file is to blame for overwriting the XNT values and where to find the graphics for the alien. I think once that is fixed GC might be good to go now.

Also, as I have been playing, it seems the aliens need to slow down invasion ticker, with as many alien ship missions that are being presented. At least toward the beginning of the game. Yes I know it is meant to be hard, but at the rate the ticker is going in 2 months time it will be full scale invasion, and players can't get even a chance to cope with the threat. (I'll mod myself no worries)

You guys have done an excellent job balancing ground combat that is for sure, very pleased with that!! It pleases me to see all my soldiers in the hospital, but can still make it back home. I still suffer losses, and they are acceptable now! I also now see aggressiveness, and rudimentary tactics and couple that with tough aliens it makes out to be a challenge. I am totally addicted to the flame throwers!

Edited by Xeryx

need help with two things:

1. does anyone experience serious lags in air combat, when the AI choses destination for the UFO that lies outside the combat field?

2. after reading this thread, still unsure about the recoil stat of the weapons: seems it affects only HMG-type weapons right? Rifles has this parameter set to a low value so it won't likely take effect, and rocket launcher has zero recoil...