(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V6.0 - "Hellgate" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

TacticalDragon

• 2 weeks later...

Someone should really lock this thread and leave message which points out that this mod is no longer supported by original team and direct them to X-Division.

This version of mod is more collection of scraps than what originally was planned to be.Primary purpose of last update before we stopped development was to convert this mod to "modular" system which would vastly increase mod compatibility with other mods and easier installation process.I had had worked with Kabill on this for at least month or so and with his help XNT was converted for most of the part.

Also during this period Julian offered to help us with art of weapons.And therefor I worked with him on few weapons that never made in v6 if I recall correctly,plan was to design bunch of weapons and re-design tech tree for potentially next big update at that time (although I knew this is unlikely to happen).TD and Julian come to disagreement ..... well let's not go there.

So near the release of final update TD decided to do something a bit different and included new branch of research and weapons.Also I retired from modding because I got a job and another reason is that I was only active dev for two months since after match between

Xenophobia and XNT,in other words I was "burned".As last dev of the mod TD probably lost interest to support it further.Which means that bugs pre-v6 and after v6 are still there (not to mention balance issues that new untested research branch and weapons introduced).

For more polished,featured version of this legendary mod (because it is-most downloaded and played mod for Xenonauts),try X-division which is successor of this mod and it has resolved number of problems which had hunt XNT for long time.

Edited by Sentelin

Thx sentelin for explaining XNT history.

This is sad. The different ideas of different modders sometimes destroy each other. Wè lost many experienced modders. This is not for only this game. I saw many projects died because of some arguments around modders.

But again with my game experience about mods I can say that best mods done by alone modders. It's hard to create something when there are different ideas. If I were earlier here, probably I will go alone even XNT team was up still.

Xenofobia was someone's idea, someone tried to create something new and together. But it has not a target to reach. Planning is important. And getting tons of thing together brings chaos if u don't know what your purpose is. XNT got other mods too, x division got all main kabill mods... but both projects got a vision. XNT died before it's final state sadly. I will finish xdivision. Still I wish all the big modders from XNT and xenofobia still on modding...

This is sad. The different ideas of different modders sometimes destroy each other. Wè lost many experienced modders. This is not for only this game. I saw many projects died because of some arguments around modders

One example that comes to my mind is this mod http://www.moddb.com/mods/westeros-age-of-petty-kings and here is the reason http://www.moddb.com/mods/westeros-age-of-petty-kings/news/donations-endingapologies and http://www.moddb.com/mods/westeros-age-of-petty-kings/news/aopk-20-put-on-hold

But again with my game experience about mods I can say that best mods done by alone modders. It's hard to create something when there are different ideas. If I were earlier here, probably I will go alone even XNT team was up still.

TD started alone and he had advantage of being sole modder who tried to make overhaul at that time when Xenonauts was still fresh and had steady flow of new players and that's why XNT was noticed in the first place.It started slowly and escalate fast.At the some point TD would had end up over his head and XNT wouldn't been successful as it was.When Theon joined the team and started working on aircraft system overhaul that's when XNT become to really shine.It wasn't long when I joined team soon after that and Selgald immediately after me as tester later as Sound designer,mod began to flourish and gain popularity with enormous speed because XNT got team of people who were devoted and each of them was good at certain area which means rapid expansion.

It's true that updates slowed down compared to when TD was alone but they got bigger much bigger and better polished.As a team we had disagreements but most of the time from those disagreements something better came out.There other benefits of having a team beside this,however it also has disadvantage.One and probably major is when key "player" in team stops to mod for whatever reason it's hard to find replacement and most of the time development gets halt because no one has knowledge or skilled enough to finish what he started.

Edited by Sentelin

IF the team got a team spirit and accept a leader and respect eachother, ofcourse they can use to power of numbers. But as you said everybody got a life.. so at a team if someone gets slower, all team gets slower.. if someone leaves, it can be the end.. anyway XNT is the biggest example to ppl xenonauts modding power..

Hello everyone,

Is nice to see people here, some devoted players and developers.

IMHO XNT was a success, a clear example of non-profit teamwork, when things become greater it demand a lot of attention. XNT has the spirit and the personal fingerprint of each developer and players feedback. I start alone a lot years ago, getting a lot of experience but the Mod really start to showing up when other developers fill a lot of gaps that I can't fill.

For me is not failed experiment, at the contrary I see XNT like one of the most gratificating, powerfull and awesome experience.

V6 is nothing more that a state of the game evolving. Theon make a lot of nice work, Sentelin bring a interesting material and analytics, Selgald put in the table thing that other people dosen't notice (And he challenge the complete balance system each time we have a pre-build), Gengis and Wolf make tons of important testing for each build.

The real obstacle that I feel is the engine and lack of support of Community coders. We make a lot of petitions to coders but only Solver put a lot of effort (Including the epic helmet with Two Steps From hell Bravery Booster LOL). Balancing the game is one of the hardest part, taking in consideration the amount of variables of the game.

I strongly believe that we were near to find the real solution to diversity, as Sentelin say, Branched tech tree that allow each game to be different.

XNT was and always be pure diamont, the reflection of the elements that players wait to see in this kind of geners.

My best wishes!

Hello.

I have problem with crash on XNT 6.0 with or without "XCE 0.31 + XNT 6 + Patch4XNT" it does not mather.

This situation came after my 2 bases demolished by ETs.

I am playing on current community edition from steam, after this update:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/223830/announcements/detail/129812400221448798

"palmic 3" is just before bases attacks - if youll load this, ETs will destroy them in the present day.

"palmic 1" is just after bases attacks and its simply last save file i can make before "every save try crash the game":

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9Rj7Hxxu0DYSjRXdWdHcFFuMzg&usp=sharing

If you try to save it again a little while after that it will crash for sure.

Please help,

Thank you.

Edited by palmic
description

@palmic

crash confirmed, and there is nothing in the logs... I also tried to sell both bases and proceed but the game just crashes then (with a memory dump created).

try posting a bug report, though I'm afraid you have to restart the game anyway. Or fall back to an earlier savegame and avoid base loss.

advice: don't leave the base undefended. Try to have air coverage from existing bases, also buy a defending crew immediately after the base is built (I go for stores+hospital+radar+hangars just after the command center is built, and recruit 6-8 xenonauts)

Thanks @podbelski bug submited here

I know, the bases was empty for very long i tried to build as much as possible from monthly budget and hoped to earn something from ufo techs. sells for rest, but was not lucky enough :-)

I have older save, so its not problem to play from there, i would just like to continue with game, XNT is really awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, is this version of XNT still compatible with V1.5x builds of Xenonauts? Out of the Sun mod thread said that somebody reported problems so little bit worried; despite number of worthy extensions which branched out from XNT mod, I'll be relieved to know that I can fall back to playing the original when I feel like it.

Edit: Thank you.

Edited by ventuswings

I read the forums and tried to follow the directions for an accurate install, but I have been unsuccessful.

I downloaded the community edition beta through steam. The community edition works fine.

I then downloaded the file: XNT V6.0 (Hellgate) patched. I install this by going to my steam directory and installing in the assets folder in the Xenonauts directory.

After I install this patched version of XNT V6.0 the initial game screen is accessible along with the modding tab.

However, when I start the game it immediately crashes to desk top.

What am I doing wrong? Please explain it so simply a monkey could do it.

Thanks.

Gomer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

While everything else works fine I get an awful lots of bugs in battles with the acid spitting vipers (like them suddenly polymorphing into caesans throwing grenades, and triggering huge explosions like 2x the aoe of C4 for no reason , sometimes crashing the game).

(playing with fresh install of last CE and podelski's patched XNT and some gameconfig changes, as only mods, so I don't see what may be wrong in my install)

What files to change to remove them from the game (ideally is there a way to make them no longer spawn without breaking saves) ?

While everything else works fine I get an awful lots of bugs in battles with the acid spitting vipers (like them suddenly polymorphing into caesans throwing grenades, and triggering huge explosions like 2x the aoe of C4 for no reason , sometimes crashing the game).

(playing with fresh install of last CE and podelski's patched XNT and some gameconfig changes, as only mods, so I don't see what may be wrong in my install)

What files to change to remove them from the game (ideally is there a way to make them no longer spawn without breaking saves) ?

Go to ufocontents folder. Open every caesan ship with excel. Delete all the Reaper_* lines.

Deleting them will make the caesan missions easier because they will be low as number. You can add the numbers to the other caesans with you delete reapers.