(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V6.0 - "Hellgate" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

TacticalDragon

Just jumped back into this game and this mod is better than ever.

need help with two things:

1. does anyone experience serious lags in air combat, when the AI choses destination for the UFO that lies outside the combat field?

I noticed the more zoomed can possibly cause AC to stutter. It looks like the AI keeps trying to pick new targets or something.

I have three other questions. What are the stat differences between the new weapons. For example the upgraded M14 and the Zephr have the exact same stats minus weight in the weapons.xml document. This information really needs to be in the tooltip in game.

Is the Fire In the Hole mod integrated automatically?

How do you use the breaching charge?

SJOB,

1. it's a known problem the tooltips are outdated. Regarding the difference between weapons, also look into weapons_gc.xml, the most interesting things are there

2. partially, AFAIK. Follow the recommendation in the XNT download post - just copy some files, don't install it

3. take the charge, prime it, then drop it on the ground from the inventory screen. Choose the proper spot for this, where the UFO has "weak spots"

@ all

EDIT: Alas, this did not work...invisible aliens seems to happen after reloads of save games though.

@SJOB that plane is pretty much designed to be a scout, and seems pretty useless as a combat craft. I personally don't like how air combat and aircraft are setup in this mod though. It is nice to have some other planes but I don't think they are balanced the way they should be.

Bug: When the aliens use the stinger (the one used to stun human) if the aliens continue to fire at a "stunned" human on the ground the game crashes every time.

There are also numerous times the xenopedia page comes up blank on various researches.

Edited by Xeryx

It happened before and it happens now too. Sometimes, when i destroy an alien egg, the game freezes. It also happens sometimes with other xenomorphs, specially when there are few of them alive. Even reloading, when i kill it again, the game freezes again. So i must load a previous savegame before GC to change map. Does anybody have same problem? Can it be fixed?

Edit: Curiously, the fire still moves, and so does the gas. I cant move or choose any soldier though.

Edited by Juvilado

It happened before and it happens now too. Sometimes, when i destroy an alien egg, the game freezes. It also happens sometimes with other xenomorphs, specially when there are few of them alive. Even reloading, when i kill it again, the game freezes again. So i must load a previous savegame before GC to change map. Does anybody have same problem? Can it be fixed?

Edit: Curiously, the fire still moves, and so does the gas. I cant move or choose any soldier though.

read some of my previous posts and you will have your answers in the previous 2 pages.

EDIT: WASTELANDS 2 is out NOW!!!

Edited by Xeryx

read some of my previous posts and you will have your answers in the previous 2 pages.

In order to prove this I renamed the Weapons and weapons_gc files in the root assets directory and the XCE weapons_gc file. I then verified there were no other mods with these files other than XNT60 that could be read.

Ive been "studying" the forum's discussion thread and your posts in order to try to solve the problem with freeze. Is this what i have to do? Can you help me and be more specific about renaming? i must rename those archivers and change name to prevent the game run them? Could i just move out the archives? Should that solve my problem? thanks in advance

EDIT: I tried that, and the freeze problem goes on. I never had problems with the weapons, anyway. Im not sure but i dont know if alien smoke grenades are intented or not.

When I installed both 5.3 and Hellgate, i just unzipped the contents in assets folder, i didnt realised there's another way. Do you think that can cause freezing problems? Could you be patient with ppl like me and explain carefully how to install in order to prevent that pernicious freeze?

Besides ill post some feedback of things i dont like and i like from 6.0, just for know if someone else thinks same:

LIKE: Cover info in GC, jump through windows (aliens surprised me!)

DONT LIKE: Flags (useless in GC, add flavor but they also add another icon to the screen), Moving mouse wheel changes floor level instead of character (prefered before, i think it can be configurated), Grenade exploding at the end of turn (agree that could be different grenade types, one exploding when thrown and the other at the end).

Edited by Juvilado

First of all, congrats for the mod you have done. I've been playing it for a week now and experiencing all the bugs mentioned here, the game has a tendency to crash after big explosions, and that is somewhat annoying, specially when setting up a perimeter around the dropship with C4, and demolishing everything on the path to the UFO entrance :D

But I would like to report a bug which crashes the game but can be worked around:

-When I'm working on the project corvette dissembling (which take up the space of an hangar) if I go to the aircraft equipment tab the game crashes no matter what. When the project is finished the bug is resolved.

So I was fighting with big viper with some savescumming when suddenly it transformed to red caesan with acid grenades, lot of hp and no weapon :)

Same happened to me, twice! This makes the 6.0 still unfair unplayable... what a pitty, hope this is fixed soon or tell us how to fix it... also lot of xenopedia images missing... even older ones.

Interestingly enough i have not experienced any of the bugs described; My game seems to run absolutely perfect :o (I'm only 3 months into my current playthrough though; something might still pop up)

My main problem with the current version is mainly difficulty. While the aircombat feels engaging and fairly difficult, ground combat is waaaay to easy. (Playing on veteran)

Also the alien air mission ticker seems sort of random; Sometimes it spawns corvettes and fighters normally (around the end of the first month), while other times you still see nothing but scouts and light scouts at the end of the second month.

Interestingly enough i have not experienced any of the bugs described; My game seems to run absolutely perfect :o (I'm only 3 months into my current playthrough though; something might still pop up)

My main problem with the current version is mainly difficulty. While the aircombat feels engaging and fairly difficult, ground combat is waaaay to easy. (Playing on veteran)

Also the alien air mission ticker seems sort of random; Sometimes it spawns corvettes and fighters normally (around the end of the first month), while other times you still see nothing but scouts and light scouts at the end of the second month.

How lucky, i started having these bugs in the first night of playing 6.0 :(

I agree with you that the overall difficulty is below last update, although ive been having big vipers in the 3rd or 4th GC, witch makes the mission almost impossible with zero tech level!!!

The Viper Shapeshifter is a too strong bug. I wont play 6.0 again until find a way to solve it, it just makes the game broken.

Juvilado's assessment of aliens that can/can't be stunned is almost correct. Only robots (drones/androns) have an armour rating, but higher classes of non-robot alien are harder to stun.

I am in Dec and again having a blast with this mod. I love stunning the crap out of everything that I can. Even manged to dog pile a delta viper (the big purple ones) and laughed as we clubbed it down.

Nearly Dec, 3 solid bases. I only have 2 charlies but shrikes are in production. I need to expand to 3 drop teams :)

Using mostly the hellgate weapons but have 60 scientists researching like hamsters on speed.

Everything I shoot down I try to ground combat. Got nearly 2 million in the bank but just expanded my 2 second bases with more engineers as wolf armor is about ready to pop.

Awesome mod :)

So then this proves that the Modular system cannot be trusted to handle updating/merging the info correctly. That ultimately means, that all other weapon and weapon_gc should be disabled so that the game can only read yours. When I put your weapons files in the root assets directory, I eliminated it being able to revert back to vanilla. I am now wondering what other files are affected by this bug?

No, it doesn't.

The issue is caused by the fact that XNT and FitH are trying to insert the same item using the 'insert' MODMERGE command. Trying to insert an item that already exists causes an error and that's what's happening here.

When I was compiling the modular version of XNT, I meant to remove the breaching charge items from XNT as they were only there to ensure compatibility with FitH using the old copy/replace method anyway. However, I forgot to do this. The matter could equally be resolved by using "insertreplace" or whatever the joint command is, since that would avoid there being an error on a duplication.

In other words, this error has nothing to do with the modular system being unreliable or not working and everything to do with (my) user-error.

As to comments about the modular system not working properly - I'm going to have a look through XNT when I'm finally done with all the work that I've got going on, but if there's errors I'm confident they're going to be user errors rather than problems with the modular system. I've been using the mod loader since it first started and my current game has mods running that change more or less every file in the game and it works fine. I'm not certain that would be the case if it was broken or inconsistent.

Another issue im having since i started playing this game is the maps gets too repetitive, specially urban ones. I installed kabill and skitsos' . Is there anything i can do to solve that? Maybe the new maps dont appear in the game because i didnt installed correctly?

Juvilado. I too have noticed this. I know Skitsos was showing off some really cool looking new maps but after many ground ops I have yet to see one.

I installed the maps into the main asset folder as per instructions but I wonder now if the game engine using the XNT mod and fire in the hole is overriding somehow?

Kabill I know you are super busy but is it possible that somehow the game engine pulls a map for a downed UFO but then has to use a specific map to ensure all the mods work?

Also possible bug if not already noted. When you are able to research the hellfire sub-machine gun that is meant to be sold instead it is set for infinite amount. The hellfire assault rifle is limited and can be sold.

So when the chief scientist tells you to start selling the sub-machine guns should he instead be referring to the assault rifle?

I installed the maps into the main asset folder as per instructions but I wonder now if the game engine using the XNT mod and fire in the hole is overriding somehow?

Kabill I know you are super busy but is it possible that somehow the game engine pulls a map for a downed UFO but then has to use a specific map to ensure all the mods work?

There's no reason why running mods would affect maps (and I've run FitH fine with extra maps installed).

So if you're not seeing extra maps, I suspect that will be because the install has been botched somehow. Although, honestly, I suspect it's more like that there just aren't that many extra maps relative to how many missions you're doing (especially since Industrial maps tend to occur more often). Note as well that my own map packs only add maps to Farm, Desert and Arctic, so you're still likely to be pulling repeats on the other tileset types. So I would hazard a guess at saying that everything is fine and you just need more maps!

(Maybe when I am unemployed I will try doing some random map packs for the rest of the tilesets I've not done.)

Hi guys!

awesome mod!i have only one problem at the time..VIPERS..:mad:

i'm at november(end) and i have spotted a large viper(the purple one) and a whittish one(omega?delta?),ok, i take the squad and attack the being,(i know tey are TOUGH,i have spotted another in a small ufo and ended the miission closed intothe ufo for 5 turns:))

i throwed on it a real firestorm(have bringed and stored in charlie 6 missile launcher's,a bunch of missiles,a lot of C4,bombs of every type,a truk of ammo)killed all the alien in city and left the super xeno for the end(the purple one) i have to finally flee because all the stuff fielded end exausted all ex's and ammo the moster never died..in another case i have encountered the white one(that seem like a large xenomorph of the film)the moster charged like a steamroller the well positioned squad and slayed half squad,never afraied of the flow of lead throwed at him(even tried with napalm bombs and subsequent throw of four C4 into the flames:D)the beast was finally knoked down by a massive throw of stun granades and and a hail of vortex strikes(i have no more ammo for human weapons)what can i do for kill these fiends?Call chuk norris?an artillery barrage or a B52 airstrike?:):confused:

however really great mod!

thanks!

sorry for grammatical errors, but i'm hurry for work:D

thanks for the always clear answers!

These vipers are really though. They require really heavy stuff, advanced tech (if possible), 8-soldier dedication and luck. And you'll probably lose some soldiers. I often save/load when i spot one of these and try different approachs until i find one that works more or less well or i leave if i can't beat it in 4-6 turns.

Apart from that, did you modders read the poisonous viper shapeshifting issue post? Any hint for that? It is a bug or bad installation? Several ppl have had the same problem in Hellfire.

Other thing, i just realiced 'm' key is for melee attack, altough it doesnt really deal much damage. Don't you think it would be interesting to add some melee weapon addons (bayoneta for instance) at a cost of more weight of course, to deal in extreme close combat situations?

@theothersider

at the end of November you have to be eqipped with some advanced weaponry, this is your main problem I guess. Laser rifles or an anti-matter Sentelin can do fine against the Delta viper (big light-colored one), C4 is also good.

can't advice smth specific against an Omega viper, a dark purple big one that spits poison... I had plasma weaponry when encountered and killed it in several turns shooting from the distance