(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V6.0 - "Hellgate" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

TacticalDragon

New update? I can't wait, even if it is bug-hunting patch it is much more convenient to install everything in one go than over separate installations. Feel free to use my fixes any way you want, can use files directly or can simply follow what I did on the technical changes.

I am not aware of any other XNT bugs at the moment, so this is actually the last bug patch I am putting out. Of course, I have some free time recently so if anyone can give a report on XNT-only bug I'll take a look at it. (naturally bugs from vanilla are way out of my scope)

Barring any additional bug reports, only thing I intend to do now is polish, polish, and more polish which is great for newcomers and kind-of-perfectionists like me but no use to experienced gamers. It's definitely something not worth waiting for.

... and I also use some tweaks for myself, the following probably has a chance to go into XNT update:

- grenade speeds reduced to 500

- male armour.impjackal image was missing

- weapon.sniper: clipsize reduced from 10 to 5

- weapon.explosive.PlasmaBreachingCharge: correct image name is HBP_PlasmaBreachingCharge.png

- weapon.grenade.flashbang: suppressionRadius increased from 1 to 3

- napalm grenade explosion damage reduced from 40 to 30

there are few other changes but they are either still "experimental" or good just for myself

[ATTACH]5890[/ATTACH]

zXNTtweaks.zip

zXNTtweaks.zip

Oh right, I fixed the armor so early that I forgot those existed. Urghhhh so tempted to quickly update my fix but it is non-gamebreaking anyway.

I am pretty sure soldier screen thing is bug from faulty installation, or maybe using later version of XCE? (I am staying with 0.28 atm)

There was streamer who had same problem last week, along with other problems such as new alien weapons such as Light Vortex missing leading to bunch of unarmed aliens. Trying out diff install method apparently fixed it for him.

Flashbangs are my favourite tool in early game despite me playing on Insane, I actually love radius 1 because it makes there use more restricted toward single target and therefore more strategic, its the matter of suppression strength that makes them fall off, rather than the vanilla radius which I honestly think is OP. It might be interesting to give Electroshock grenade high suppression but little to no stun, so it can serve as mid-game flashbang (and counter against Andron) rather than ranged stun weapon. I just do not know if stun, suppression and EMP damage can be classified separately, is the problem... Either way my patch is for person who want to play the mod without any balance changes, good or worse.

I'll also wait for 6.1 before making any significant changes.

Edited by ventuswings

interesting point about shock grenade. Currently it has suppressionValue="130" suppressionRadius="5" (flashbang has suppressionValue="150"). I'd probably increased suppression and decreased range to 3.

also, stunDamage="50", it can be nerfed to any value you want as empDamage="70" goes separately

... what I don't like in flashbang's range="1" is often you can't throw it to the tile where the alien stands b/c of an obstacle. It's also way too unrealistic to have zero effect from a flashbang exploded at the neighboring tile. Finally, this means you have to see the enemy so expose yourself to reaction fire, while with my icreased range you can throw the grenade "blindly" into the room just in case someone is hiding behind the corner

I tried to repair that flashbang bug but even its 5, it was not working as intended.. i tried many things but at XNT, flashbang never worked as intended..

Flashbangs are very strategical element even more important at hard modes and XNT.. its sad its broken at XNT.. even you make it work, its power so low..

For that kind of reasons i finished first grenades at my mod.. you can add that bombs to XNT..

I am making now the rockets.. made pure EMP rockets and grenades for Androns.. and that weapons create static fields like gas...

Chemical rockets, chemical and stun heavy explosives and after them Armor Penetrating (anti-resistance) and elctron stun/EMP weapons will be done..

And I made a anti explosive armor to defend my shield guys :P..

drages, do you plan to somehow alter C4?

I can't find any use for it in XNT 6

C4.. heavy explosives.. you are right.. its hard to find a use for them.. If you think at X-Com, i was using them rather then grenades becouse they were more powerfull and you could throw them realy far..

At XNT they so overpowered as radius, mostly you dies if you dont make it explode after more then 1 turn.. did i use them at vanilla or xnt.. nop..

so there should be something unique to use them.. time delay is not a usefull thing..

1. There should be something only c4's can do.. but there is not..

2. It should be very very powerfull and heavy.. like 4x grenade power and heavy as a heavy weapon, size of a shield.. so even you have it, what would u do? The only idea is sending it to a command room with 10 heavy armed aliens to finish it fast.. but do u realy need it? or can u balance a weapon like that... or you will lose all the loot from that explosion.

3. A damage type only c4 can use.. if we got much more damage types maybe we could give it to c4's..

I made the art part of the c4's stun and chemical version.. but i got the same question with you.. so i dont bother to code them for now..

Hmmmmm... i got an idea.. yes... i think it could be done... i can make the c4's resistance free, kind of armor piecering..

The idea is:

All grenades and rockets will be nearly zero mitigation... so all the damge will be resisted by enemy armor.. but at c4's there will be very high mitigation to prevent the resistance..

For example u got grenade for 50 kinetic damage with 10 mitigation. U used it against an enemy with 50 resistance.. so 50-10-50=-10.. this grenade will hit him 10 dmg.. but a c4 with 100 dmg and 50 mitigation will hit him 50-50-100=100.. the c4 will hit him for 100... a solid damage..

thx for make me think :)

well, your thoughts definitely make sense. Still not sure will this approach give enough benefits to use the charge.

My 2 cents: if you could make C4 very damaging, with not too big explosion radius, but with a solid penalty for weak soldiers... like only 75+ strength guys can throw it far enough to be useful... not sure if the engine allows this, likely not

btw I used C4 in XNT 5 against Deltas, but I reduced the range for the reasons you highlighted

I use resistances much more then ever.. so you will have 3 way to defeat enemy..

1. Shoot whatever you have to enemy until it resistances gone..

2. Have the right weapons for right enemy.. so before the quantum building you will need to everything with u..

3. Got this big bombs so u can have a chance even u dont have the right tools..

Yes as u said, smaller radius (4-6), very high damage output, very heavy, much bigger (2 - 3 rather then 1-2), hard to throw.. mostly run-drop-run weapon...

but.. but.. how cant u use this little one!

aleniumcharge.jpg

aleniumcharge.jpg

aleniumcharge.jpg.d60bd2550a74c56d89aa97

hard to resist)) I like your art a lot, for sure

the timer also made it hard to use... with reduced radius it will be even more noticeable. Don't know how to improve, probably there are not a lot of choices. If there won't be clear reasons to use timer 2+ then I prefer the charge to explode exactly like frag grenades do

Edited by podbelski

thx!..

The timer wont be 5-6 for sure.. even 2 is at risk.. but if u cant throw, u need put somewhere and run.. probably best places are the doors.. ufo or base doors.. at terror sites, maybe buildings.. or u see androns and ur bullets and grenades dont do much..

I am pretty sure soldier screen thing is bug from faulty installation, or maybe using later version of XCE? (I am staying with 0.28 atm)

There was streamer who had same problem last week, along with other problems such as new alien weapons such as Light Vortex missing leading to bunch of unarmed aliens. Trying out diff install method apparently fixed it for him.

Yes, I fixed the problem by deleting my XCE and xcesettings folders from the assets/mod folder (which were installed by opting in steam) and replaced them with the ones bundled in the XNT V6.0 modpack.rar.

Looks like a problem with the newer XCE indeed.

Glad to hear that!

Also I personally found C4 to be amazing, I always bring and use one each mission and only reason I don't use more is that its large explosion tend to cause whole list of vanilla CTDs (for example, I packed like 10 C4 for Terror mission and nearly flatted out one third of the map for strategic purposes before finally game permanently failed). Considering that they are so available, having them beuseful in specialized situations instead of ubiquitious "super" grenade feels right.

Edited by ventuswings

Glad to hear that!

Also I personally found C4 to be amazing, I always bring and use one each mission and only reason I don't use more is that its large explosion tend to cause whole list of vanilla CTDs (for example, I packed like 10 C4 for Terror mission and nearly flatted out one third of the map for strategic purposes before finally game permanently failed). Considering that they are so available, having them beuseful in specialized situations instead of ubiquitious "super" grenade feels right.

heh nice.. you will enjoy more then :)

Glad you've already started discussing C4, because there is a question about it.

After finishing vanilla on veteran started XNT today. I used to be a fan of C4 in vanilla, but when I've tried them in XNT... Are they intended to be so destructive? I've tried to kill door-scuming lizard at corvette entrance but in result I've destroyed main door, all interior doors, 2 breachable sections on sides and a good portion of adjanced building. Felt like little nuclear explosion. I'm afraid to see how are plasma explosives going to be. (breaching charges are quite good, though are a way too heavy and bulky).

Glad you've already started discussing C4, because there is a question about it.

After finishing vanilla on veteran started XNT today. I used to be a fan of C4 in vanilla, but when I've tried them in XNT... Are they intended to be so destructive? I've tried to kill door-scuming lizard at corvette entrance but in result I've destroyed main door, all interior doors, 2 breachable sections on sides and a good portion of adjanced building. Felt like little nuclear explosion. I'm afraid to see how are plasma explosives going to be. (breaching charges are quite good, though are a way too heavy and bulky).

xnt explosives radius is vervy very big.. just open weapon_GC.xml in assets/mods/xmt/ with notpad, search for c4charge then change the radius from 9 to 5.. or whatever u want..

Amazing mod guys ,very very challenging. Not recommended for rookies at all.

Loved the new techs and hated to see the symbiosis of xenomorph and the rest of the aliens like... I saw the first one running towards my retreating injured guy and I thought "well fuck isn't this so damn convenient? what's next? the dalek?" hahaha.

Anyways nice job guys +1 for this amazing project.

Edited by FranTorres