Someones gotta ask. The Deep

Merkle

With the new announcement of the great Dev team giving out rights to do crazy things to the game (really this is awesome).

When will we see a new and improved.....Terror from the Deep within Xeno?

Is this possible? I would think so with the great modding team that is out there doing crazy awesome things in such short order!

Actually I read Chris "wall of text"on what adds to the game and what does not, and I will have to say he makes a good case for this to never happen.

It really doesn't add anything to the game, just possibly another layer that one must deal with. In a sense I dont see anything gained or lost.

I'm certain no one is ever going to make a total conversion for a TFTD inspired game (though it would be possible to do, technically speaking) because the amount of effort it would take to produce all of the art assets would be huge. You'd more or less have to do all the artwork from scratch (including map assets and unit sprites).

Well this is more about if it should be done, I'm doing a complete 180 on this too.

It really shouldn't be done, or really needs to be done at all. Unless you basically start over and do both games all in one.

Buttttt....I dont see it ADDING anything to the gaming experience at all. Its the same thing just underwater!

That would be a unique and possibly very innovative game.

Well technically it wouldn't be unique as TFTD has already done it... ;)

A new version could be interesting though. A lot more work would be needed than a TFTD style reskin. For example allowing wetsuits at certain depths but enforcing hard suits or remote submersibles at greater depths, rather than just having people walking around on slightly green backdrops.

All of you guys seem to be missing the point - it isn't that it's supposed to be a different game, or bring something huge to the current game. It's a theme. I LOVE the ocean and underwater stuff, I scuba dive whenever I have the funds. I was even a licensed trainer when I was in the Navy (Now that I'm out, my license is expired and I don't have the time to get another). I liked the original UFO, but after beating it a couple of times, I stopped. When TFTD came out, my god, I must've gone through it a hundred times or more. And when people started cracking the code on how to mod it, I played even more. I just couldn't get enough of it.

It's all about discovering the unknown. We know what's on the surface of our planet, we see it every day. But underwater? I think I read somewhere we've only discovered 1% of the ocean. The thought that there are aliens down there, and have been for centuries in cryo, is just awesome. They awaken and start swarming up from the depths, and it's our job as X-COM to take them out. There is just so much you could do with that game now a days. Sure, at the basic level, it's just the same as aliens coming from space. But again, it's an entirely different theme, a different set of aliens, armor, weapons, and ships.

But yes, it would certainly need a new engine. I keep hoping the Firaxis XCOM will make the jump and do an underwater game. Xenonauts on a new engine would be awesome in itself, but also being able to do both land and sea missions, shoot down UFOs and USOs in one game, and still have the epic modability that Xeno currently has...man, that would be perfection.

I guess the main issue is, not as many people liked TFTD as they did UFO, and those of us who prefer TFTD just aren't as vocal.