Xenonauts system requirements / X-COM clone games

gazra

The following is my background with these types of computer games:

I completed UFO: Enemy Unknown (also known as X-COM: UFO Defense) numerous times at different difficulty levels. It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!

I played X-COM: Terror From the Deep but I never finished the game because it was too difficult and the concept of using weapons (other than harpoons and torpedoes and mines) underwater was silly.

I completed X-COM: Apocalypse. The game has beautiful music and an immersive atmosphere! It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!

I played UFO: Aftermath but never finished the game because it was too repetitive and it dragged on for too long.

I own but have never played UFO: Aftershock and UFO: Afterlight because I haven't finished UFO: Aftermath yet. For those players who have completed the UFO trilogy, are either of these computer games worth playing considering that I didn't think that UFO: Aftermath was worth finishing?

I have never played UFO: Extraterrestrials because I didn't have a computer that was capable of playing the game at the time that it was released, I seem to remember seeing bad reviews for the game at the time that it was released, and I have forgotten about the game since then. For those players who have completed the game, is the game worth playing?

I played but never finished X-Force: Fight for Destiny because I got stuck at the stage in the game when the biggest and deadliest alien battleships began appearing in the game, and they were too fast and deadly to shoot down with my interceptors, and the UFOpedia entries in that stage of the game were all in German (in the version of the game that I was playing quite a few years ago), so I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing to counter the biggest deadliest alien battleships. It's a pity, because I was really enjoying the game up until then. I will try the latest version of the game to see whether I am able to complete the game this time around.

I played but haven't finished UFO: Alien Invasion yet. The game has beautiful music! The game seems to be a really good free clone of the X-COM games.

I own but haven't played X-COM: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: Enemy Within because I don't have a computer capable of playing the games yet. For those players who have completed the games, what do you think of the games?

I am definitely going to buy Xenonauts, but I haven't been able to find information about the game's minimum system requirements any where, and I am wary about digital downloads of computer games because I don't know whether I will be able to install and play the game on my current computer and my next computer or whether I will only be able to install and play the game on just one computer one time only. My computer's operating system is Windows XP and my computer's hardware is from the year 2008 or 2009 (3 GB system RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card (512 MB video RAM)). Could somebody who is in the know please help me out here? What are the minimum system requirements for Xenonauts? If I buy the game from the xenonauts.com website so that I can download the game from the Humble Store and get a Steam key, will I be able to install and play this computer game on my current, old computer as well as my next computer when I get around to replacing my current, old computer?

Is there any difference with game stability (i.e. bugs) with the digital donwload from the Humble Store compared to the Steam installation of this computer game? If so, which is the less buggy version of the game to play?

I much prefer to play computer games after the final patch has been released for the game.

Is version 1.09 of Xenonauts likely to be the last version of this computer game? If not, are there any estimates to when the final patch for this computer game is likely to be released?

I've read player reviews of this computer game at the game's webpage at the Steam website, and I've looked at screenshots of the game, and the only new game mechanic that I am concerned about is Suppression, and the only game mechanic omission from UFO: Enemy Unknown that I am concerned about is that the player can't reverse-engineer the aliens' psionic powers to then use against the aliens. For those players who have completed Xenonauts, should I be concerned about these changes or is this computer game all the better for those changes?

Which difficulty setting would you recommend that I play my first game of Xenonauts with?

Would you recommend that I use any mods for Xenonauts in my first playthrough of this computer game? If so, which mods would you recommend that I use?

I would appreciate any responses to any of my questions.

Edited by gazra

Can't answer all your questions, but:

Is there any difference with game stability (i.e. bugs) with the digital donwload from the Humble Store compared to the Steam installation of this computer game? If so, which is the less buggy version of the game to play?

Not sure about differences, but I use the non-steam version and found no significant stability issues in vanilla 1.09.

I much prefer to play computer games after the final patch has been released for the game.

Is version 1.09 of Xenonauts likely to be the last version of this computer game? If not, are there any estimates to when the final patch for this computer game is likely to be released?

There will be probably a final 1.5 as announced recently in this forum, but not so soon. Could be that smaller fixes appear before in lower versions. So no, 1.09 ist not the last version.

I own but haven't played X-COM: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: Enemy Within because I don't have a computer capable of playing the games yet. For those players who have completed the games, what do you think of the games?

Personally, I think they're very good. But there's a lot of folks here who think otherwise. Given Your stated background, I suspect you might not enjoy them as much as Xenonauts, but if you see them in a sale I'd recommend going for them to try them out.

I am definitely going to buy Xenonauts, but I haven't been able to find information about the game's minimum system requirements any where, and I am wary about digital downloads of computer games because I don't know whether I will be able to install and play the game on my current computer and my next computer or whether I will only be able to install and play the game on just one computer one time only. My computer's operating system is Windows XP and my computer's hardware is from the year 2008 or 2009 (3 GB system RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card (512 MB video RAM)). Could somebody who is in the know please help me out here? What are the minimum system requirements for Xenonauts? If I buy the game from the xenonauts.com website so that I can download the game from the Humble Store and get a Steam key, will I be able to install and play this computer game on my current, old computer as well as my next computer when I get around to replacement my current, old computer?

Minimum requirements off of the Steam store page:

Minimum:

Processor:Intel 2 GHz

Memory:1 GB RAM

Graphics:Integrated Graphics

Hard Drive:3 GB HD space

Sound:Integrated

Monitor:1280x720 pixels minimum

There's no restrictions on installing the game after purchase, so you can install it on as many computers as you like.

Steam is definitely up-to-date. Don't know about other places. In any case, if you download and install the community edition mod, that contains all the fixes in the latest version plus a number of other bug fixes and small non-gameplay-affecting features as well.

But if you're wanting to wait until the 'final patch' Chris has indicated plans to release a final update at some point in the (I assume vaguely near) future. This will mostly contain things from the community edition mod, so if you're happy to use that you can go right ahead. Otherwise it might be worth waiting a little while yet.

I've read player reviews of this computer game at the game's webpage at the Steam website, and I've looked at screenshots of the game, and the only new game mechanic that I am concerned about is Suppression,

Suppression is a game-changer, in a good way. It's one of the key reasons why I've no interest in going back to the OG.

and the only game mechanic omission from UFO: Enemy Unknown that I am concerned about is that the player can't reverse-engineer the aliens' psionic powers to then use against the aliens.

In my opinion, this is for the best. I don't miss being able to curbstomp the game through psionics at all.

Which difficulty setting would you recommend that I play my first game of Xenonauts with?

Normal. Although Veteran is recommended for X-Com Veterans, I think that's a trap for new Xenonauts players because the geoscape game is less forgiving than in X-Com and can take some adjustment.

Would you recommend that I use any mods for Xenonauts in my first playthrough of this computer game? If so, which mods would you recommend that I use?

As indicated above, I'd recommend the community edition mod as it fixes various bugs, adds in a few small non-gameplay-affecting features and it opens up additional mod options.

Skitso's Megamix Map Pack is a must. Seriously, don't play the game without it. Max_Caine's Lore+ is also an excellent one for a new player as it provides a lot of extra lore on alien types and missions.

In terms of other mods, you might want to look at Enhanced Crash Sites which makes crashed UFOs more crash-like (damaged props, smoke, fire etc.). Alternatively, Fire in the Hole does the same thing but also adds in the ability to destroy some sections of a UFO's hull in ground combat to aid in assaulting. Aside from the obvious bias (I made them) I think either of those could be used on a first playthough without moving too far from the vanilla game.

There's a also a number of cosmetic mods that you could play with, though you'd be better looking at them yourself to see whether you prefer them to what's already in game. Otherwise, there's probably not any others I'd recommend for a new player, but that's mainly because I'm assuming it would be better to start with a mostly vanilla experience and start adding in other things for future playthroughs when you have a better idea of what the game is like and what you might like to try.

I was going to foam in the mouth and disturbingly 'convince' you to play Xenonauts like a perverted 15-year old fanboy but.... nah.

Now, onto your resume.

Old XCOM: Never played it. I actually don't like the style and play of it, but I'd agree, it's a great game overall. The father of turn-based gameplay, it should be written down like a history book or something.

Underwater XCOM: Uh, Is this a trend where the whackier the game is, everyone says its better? Must be the 90s I guess.

Apocolypse: Now, I can see the sophistication made in this game, loved to play it, great game too, but again, I'm not a fan of this kind of sci-fi so I passed.

UFO:Aftermath: Actually this could be a great game, but it is really baby man's strategy. My head feels numb playing it, but I kinda liked the game, just wish they could make a better version of it.

No comments on the other 2 though

Never played UFO:ET. Same as the old XCOM, not a fan of surreal sci-fi

X-Force: Fight for Destiny: Seems like one of those 2000s games that I would love to play. Never mind the graphics if it shows a gritty atmosphere of an alien invasion. I should try it.

UFO:AI While I appreciate it's somewhat more realistic approach to the series, I think it's best if it's 2D rather than 3D, could be made better if it's like Xenonauts though.

Now Xenonauts: What hit me in the spot was it's realistic setting, not that it's realistic in terms of gameplay, but the atmosphere is what sold me in. I guess I'm the really odd one out here, and I adored it thereafter. It has its flaws though, which are my gripes, but you know, mods will save the day.

As Kabill said, download the Xenonauts: Community Edition first before playing it. It's a MUST HAVE.

And take a pinch of salt when playing Xenonauts. You will definitely have a hate/love relationship with it. Be prepare to restart a few times, but you'll understand how to get better at it and beat the game. That's where you have fun. But beware the late-game alien bases. The mind control is a pain in the ***. One of my few major gripes of this game, save scumming recommended.

Now you passed the inspection as a Neutral on the fence person who's going to buy Xenonauts. I think in our ranks of our Community Cultist Movement you are a perfect person that we can mind-co..Uh I mean you can join us and be part of the community! :P

I completed UFO: Enemy Unknown (also known as X-COM: UFO Defense) numerous times at different difficulty levels. It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!
Modern games still don't reproduce as well or if at all, so many of the features of this original classic. And so it seems it will forever be the game all others are compared to.
I completed X-COM: Apocalypse. The game has beautiful music and an immersive atmosphere! It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!
Agreed.
I played UFO: Aftermath but never finished the game because it was too repetitive and it dragged on for too long.
Most games in this genre suffer from the extended game-play and repetitive combat scenarios. Xenonauts is no exception.
I own but have never played UFO: Aftershock and UFO: Afterlight because I haven't finished UFO: Aftermath yet. For those players who have completed the UFO trilogy, are either of these computer games worth playing considering that I didn't think that UFO: Aftermath was worth finishing?
Aftershock is a good follow-up to Aftermath. Afterlight was a bad joke. They attempted a change in the engine and format. The UI consumed almost half of the screen, hated it! The characters were exaggerated cartoons. The story did develop a little. Don't recall if I even finished the game...
UFO: Extraterrestrials
Liked the game, fairly easy to mod but had design limitations including screen size.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: Enemy Within

It is a faster paced game in the genre and still suffers from repetitive combat scenarios but they have tried to introduce new and different mission concepts. Although due to the fast pace, the next combat mission is likely to be tougher. Squad size maxes out at 6. Design constraints like "satellite coverage" and no hiring of Engineers or Scientists is a different take on the typical method and just as flawed as Xenonauts attempt to prevent sales of manufactured items to "unbalance" their "National Contributions". The manner in which new missions are handled is also designed to challenge (limit and frustrate) the player. The inventory system is... different... I don't like it... it's senseless... trying to be nice... The XCom base will never be assaulted and there is only one. Assault craft and interceptor speeds have been dramatically increased to make up for the distances they must travel. I completed the game, started a few new games, enjoyed and hated the game. I still don't remember if I ever needed or had research projects for new aircraft.
...I am wary about digital downloads...
I went digital perhaps a decade ago and I've been digital ever since. I've gone through several computers since then and the only problem I have had is getting all those apps/games re-installed on my new computer.

I've only played the OG a little. I was young and found it very hard.

I can highly recommend XCOM: Enemy Within with the Long War mod from nexusmods. You should probably play XCOM: Enemy Within without the mod first as it ramps up the difficulty considerably, but the mod changes and adds so much. It's on sale fairly regularly - follow @XCOM on Twitter - they will advertise a sale when it happens.

That said, once I'm done I'm all about Xenonauts! :)