[Suggestion] Variable inventory sizes

Skitso

Testing kabill's new reduced inventory mod I started to think: what if each armor had different inventory sizes? This could go a long way in improving the differences between light armors (bigger backpack), medium armors (smaller backpack) and heavy armors (only belt) etc.

Edited by Skitso

First steps first - make inventory size changes work properly with out bugs!

But yes, I think it could be an interesting idea. It'd be a nice feature to add for armour balance, giving you a distinction between lighter 'utility' armour and heavier combat armour.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda don't like the idea of limiting the carrying capacity, personally I think the additional weight and TU penalties of better armour does that job fine. Otherwise, it'd mean your rocketeer can only have a pistol as backup, or you can't give someone both a rifle and a shotgun which is a must in my book. People may say "well it's unrealistic that someone can carry two primary weapons". I have one answer to that:

Rifle-Sling-Black.jpg

I wouldn't mind it if there was a separate slot for another primary weapon. Of course if you only have the belt, you still have to balance the weight of both weapons with what ammo, grenades and equipment you can take. Since the medkits don't fit in the belt last time I checked, there would have to be a bandage item which only takes up one slot, so if you're giving everyone heavier armour in a situation that necessitates it (e.g alien base), they don't just bleed to death. It'd stop their bleeding and maybe heal them slightly but nowhere near as much as a medkit.

Well, here is wot I think,

Basic armour has the best carrying capacity since they dont have obstructions like armour, so having the vanilla carrying capacity is alright to me. So carrying up to 3 two-hand weapons is no surprise.

Jackal armour is the same, but has a slightly smaller backpack than basic. 4 x 4

and so on and so forth.

But I do think that there should be a sling slot where the player can sling his primary weapon in order to pull out a secondary weapon or an item for use. However, if coding allows, there should be only one primary weapon on the soldier if that is the case. Would definitely be great if the soldier lacks the backpack size to put pri. weapons in but can sling back his rifle without carrying more than one pri. weapon.

EDIT: It makes the early tier armours even more useful in terms of tactical flexibility so I think this is an excellent idea to make it happen.

Edited by LordJulian

i take a wild guess thata sling slot for secondary weapon could be added if they make a extra 3x3 slot and then make it that moving objects between "that pocket" and the hands cost 0 TU's ,but i dont know if that is even posible(make variable TU's cost for different parts of cargo just like in the original when moving something from belt cost less than moving from the backpack and so on).

• 2 weeks later...
As someone who spent far too long in Iraq, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, you can carry far more when wearing armor. Your armor has pockets, clips, shoulder support for heavier backpacks, etc. And if you had motor assisted armor like Predator armor? Good lord, you'd be a walking storage unit.

Yeah, load-bearing equipment is something people tend to overlook in this sort of discussion. I'd love a JA2 style system where the number and types of items a person can carry is limited only by their strength and what they're wearing to carry it. If we're going balls-to-the-wall realism here, no sane military force would dream of sending their troops against technologically superior aliens with a rifle, a couple of magazines and a few grenades. LBE could even be a research item, since during the time period Xeno's set in, it wasn't very advanced.

But I do think that there should be a sling slot where the player can sling his primary weapon in order to pull out a secondary weapon or an item for use. However, if coding allows, there should be only one primary weapon on the soldier if that is the case. Would definitely be great if the soldier lacks the backpack size to put pri. weapons in but can sling back his rifle without carrying more than one pri. weapon.

The point of my post is that every two-hand weapon would have a sling, meaning their primary weapon would be in their hands while a second one would be slung on their back.

7HEBELn.png

Realism isn't the point we are discussing here, though. It's more about gameplay balance/fun factor.

I don't think it'd be very fun or even balanced have to sacrifice your tactical options for the sake of increased protection - That's what the shields are for.

Even with say the Wolf armour being restricted to one primary weapons and the belt, it's still possible to go over a soldier's weight limit just with that.

Edited by Morbo513

I don't think it'd be very fun or even balanced have to sacrifice your tactical options for the sake of increased protection - That's what the shields are for.

Since this is in relation to modding, we're allowed to have multiple versions of fun. It might not be something you find fun (which is fine) but might be something other people would find would.

Personally, I like having to make choices between different bits of equipment and find that vanilla Xenonauts doesn't really do that very much at all since you can easily carry multiple primary weapons, bags of grenades or whatever else. So adding some trade-offs in terms of equipment is an improvement to the game, for me.

Realism isn't the point we are discussing here, though. It's more about gameplay balance/fun factor.

And artificially limiting what a character can carry based on some arbitrary 'fun' attribute is not fun in the least. What you're wanting to do is make the game artificially more complicated for the sake of some illusion of challenge.

Bringing reality into a game serves a purpose every now and again, because when you start getting silly with stuff like "you can carry one weapon, one clip, one grenade, and that's it", it just goes to show how far gone you're pushing things.

The currently used inventory system is fine, what possible reason would you have for changing it? You don't want to be a walking arsenal? Then don't equip the weapons! It doesn't require a mod, it just requires a decision. Much easier. I don't equip my guys with more than one weapon (except the shield guys, they carry my dart guns as well as a pistol), even though they could easily carry more. I just see no point in it. I pick a primary weapon for each character, and they stick with that type through the whole game. Even at the end when I COULD just put everyone in Pred armor with MAGSTORMs and just rape face. There's no fun or sense of customization in that though.

Bringing reality into a game serves a purpose every now and again, because when you start getting silly with stuff like "you can carry one weapon, one clip, one grenade, and that's it", it just goes to show how far gone you're pushing things.

The currently used inventory system is fine, what possible reason would you have for changing it? You don't want to be a walking arsenal? Then don't equip the weapons! It doesn't require a mod, it just requires a decision. Much easier. I don't equip my guys with more than one weapon (except the shield guys, they carry my dart guns as well as a pistol), even though they could easily carry more. I just see no point in it.

What's your problem, dude? If you like to play the game that way, why can't I play how I prefer? You don't need to use my mods if you don't like them, but please stop calling other peoples opinions silly just because you don't agree. If I want to have meaningful choises regarding my gear, how does it effect your game or the way you like to play it?

Edited by Skitso

What's your problem, dude? If you like to play the game that way, why can't I play how I prefer? You don't need to use my mods if you don't like them, but please stop calling other peoples opinions silly just because you don't agree. If I want to have meaningful choises regarding my gear, how does it effect your game or the way you like to play it?

right !

Clearly, everyone must conform to what I like. Forget opinions, the rest of you are wrong. :P

/sarcasm

On a serious note, I definitely want to see this happen, would be very interesting. Do your thing, Skitso.

Edited by ViewThePhenom