Quick question - dead troop recovery

endersblade

yeah, i noticed that, in the vainilla a soldier could miracously attach himself after exploded into a pink mountain of goo and guts.

-x1: omg THE CAPTAIN WAS THERE! when the c4 explode he was there...now he is gone! **running full in tears to the zero ground**

-x2: dont worry champ...is just a flesh wound ;D!...now can you please found where is my other lung?..i cant see it anywhere..oh yes!there is**pointing some kind of organ in the floor**..yes,handle it to me please...yes that..nononono thats my liver...no..thats my kidney....danmit corporal thats my liver again!.

This will be moddable to a degree in X:CE 0.28. Specifically, you can mod the hit points at which soldiers are dead beyond recovery, and you can mod the recovery formula somewhat. The recovery chance is:

B + C * HP %

Where B is the base recovery chance at 0 HP, C is a coefficient, and HP is the dead soldier's HP (<= 0). With defaults of B == 50 and C == 2.5, you get 50% at 0 HP, 25% at -10HP for instance.

That is how it is intended to work in vanilla, except that in vanilla the chance scaling does not actually work at all, so that bug will also be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'd like to be able to use a medkit on troops that are incapacitated (Whether they're incapped or dead would be determined by the amount of damage taken beyond 0hp) to stabilise them, you then have to get their body to the chopper or complete the mission within a number of turns to possibly save them. It'd add another dynamic to the tactical combat, instead of "Oh, s/he's dead, don't have to worry about them anymore". It also has your own actions have influence on whether they survive rather than it being entirely down to chance. Of course this isn't something you can just edit an XML file to do unfortunately