Font size

Love the game, just wish I could actually read what is going on and figure out how much money I have without pulling out a magnifying glass. Did some research but the only threads I could find regarding the small font were from over a year ago. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? It makes the game nearly unplayable, which is a shame because when I don't actually need to read something the game clicks quite well. As it stands I start giving myself headaches.

Yes, there is a way to fix it. In my mod Xenophobia, I increased the font size on some of the buttons and such. Changing the font size for the lists is more involved, but possible. Alot of it involves editing the LUA files located in /scripts/.....a real pain in the butt though.

Of course when you change the font size, ALOT of ui elements have to be repositioned so things dont overlap...etc. It can quickly cascade into a nightmare of number tweaking hundreds of lines of code...

Edited by Slayerjerman

Don't suppose you can direct me to a guide or otherwise walk me through where to go to edit those settings? Sucks that I'll have to essentially put a week in working on a game to make it playable but I've wanted a good reboot of X-com for so long I'm willing to sacrifice some time to make it happen (seriously devs, you did good from what I can manage to play without my eyes watering but this was a silly thing to stumble on).

Heh, impressive work there Strinder (I know how much of a nightmare it is to do that).

I'll be sure to link that mod if people ask for such a thing in the future. Is it posted up on the Completed Mods page and so forth?

Not yet as I wouldn't call it complete yet. I still have to try and track down some items and do some serious bug testing but I figured putting a beta version of it out couldn't hurt.

This is what I was waiting since my first gameplay. Lot of thanks!

I am on the 4th month of my 3rd attempt and things are going quit well, so I don't want to risk installing the mod, If I lose this attemp I will try and test the mod and will tell you the issues.

I installed it, and had a very brief look in both 1280*960 and 1280*1024. Made a backup of the entire original scripts folder before though

Overall the game loaded well, and I could actually read texts now much better! :)

There were some probs though which would imo prohibit longer gameplay currently: in some cases, the xenopedia pics needed very long to appear once you called a certain article. In other cases they were shown immediately.

The bigger prob however was that some menu entries were blacked out, for example when pressing esc on the Geoscape to save/load/exit etc there was no text on menu buttons. Not sure if those probs stem from the screen res I selected, since the readme said resolutions should be "equal to or less than 1366*768". Mine was less in x, but more in y direction of course (still use a monitor 4:3 format)

That aside, for a v0.01 it's quite an achievement, and really helps a lot to read all those info.

I installed it, and had a very brief look in both 1280*960 and 1280*1024. Made a backup of the entire original scripts folder before though

Overall the game loaded well, and I could actually read texts now much better! :)

There were some probs though which would imo prohibit longer gameplay currently: in some cases, the xenopedia pics needed very long to appear once you called a certain article. In other cases they were shown immediately.

The bigger prob however was that some menu entries were blacked out, for example when pressing esc on the Geoscape to save/load/exit etc there was no text on menu buttons. Not sure if those probs stem from the screen res I selected, since the readme said resolutions should be "equal to or less than 1366*768". Mine was less in x, but more in y direction of course (still use a monitor 4:3 format)

That aside, for a v0.01 it's quite an achievement, and really helps a lot to read all those info.

Thanks for the info. The game pause menu is the next area I'm going to tackle (I think I might have improperly set up the scaling on that as resolutions outside my primary testing resolution of 1366x768 seem to have problems almost universally).

Also, while I can't see how it would effect the load times (unforeseen consequences and all) of certain pages in the xenopedia tabs if you could try and keep track of which pages seem to have the problems I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Again, thanks for the info (it is greatly appreciated).

Strangely enough, I did a new test today only in 1280*1024 and the prob with missing/slowly appearing xenopedia pics seemed gone. Maybe that was just a temporary hickup.

So this part is hopefully solved.

As a general note: I don't know how big the font issue is for other players, for me personally it's mostly an issue in the xenopedia and other part where longer text messages appear. I this regard your mod is a blessing :)

Short things in the GUI like labels of buttons are usually no prob for me, so would (IMO) need less attention or no change at all. Maybe this reduces workload a bit...

Edited by UfoTubby

Thank you very much, Strinder! This mod IMO should be pinned on top of the forum and announced in Steam news feed ;) You saved my eyes and this game for me. Installed on vanilla Xenonauts, playing on 1366x768 and everything looks good.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the game. :-oooooo

Jesus guys. This GUI design is horrendous: you put everything onto one window, when you should have created clickable buttons leading to different sub-screens and at least 3x larger fonts everywhere. :-oooo

Can't believe you dared to put this thing out for sale. :-oooo Wow.... Probably it was all because of the programmer gone. Jesus. Glad, I don't have to waste time with this.

Bye.

I just saw the game. :-oooooo

Jesus guys. This GUI design is horrendous: you put everything onto one window, when you should have created clickable buttons leading to different sub-screens and at least 3x larger fonts everywhere. :-oooo

Can't believe you dared to put this thing out for sale. :-oooo Wow.... Probably it was all because of the programmer gone. Jesus. Glad, I don't have to waste time with this.

Bye.

Actually I think everything (or many informations) on one screen is a good decision. I hate it when I have to click through a manyfold of screens or taskbars to get what information or what function I want. MS Word and Excel are horrible with their ribbon band "invention" that allows no customization.

Also I don't think the font is too small, but I guess this depends on screen size, resolution choice and viewing habit.

Critizing the game just because of this is in my view a bit lame argument. So if you don't want to "waste your time" feel free to look for something else. And a simple mentioning of this without your negative vibe would not leave such a bitter taste of your manners here.