Why have the civilians weapons?

I saw lot of times civilians with weapons, but never saw them fring a single shot, neither facing aliens, neither running away. They just stay walking in circles or crossing a door in and out once and again until they are killed or mission ends.

If I kill one of them I can pick up his weapon? I really want to know if their weapons are out of ammo or something else...

Edit: I did two Terror Missions and also didn't see soldiers doing a single shot, but I actually heard lot of shots in darkness from rifles and also heard tjhem screaming when died, so I assume the soldiers yes fought. But civilians and policeman never did it.

Edited by JoseG25

They do. Especially the guys on middle east maps. They are awesome with their Ak-47's :) The leathernecks too, with their shotguns.

You can't expect them to fight your battles, they just try to protect their homes by plinking a shot or three here and there.

For every story of LOL useless citizens there seems to be another story of ZOMG awesome. There's more than a few stories in the forum of Rambo-like civvies wiping out everything in their way, and at the same time contant cries of "why do they get in my way!". Jose, you can pick up civilian weapons, but you don't get to keep them. Functionally, they are the same as your weapons.

I don't know. I landed on an arctic map once, scout class UFO. 2 shotgun wielding, parka wearing Russians killed 4 of the 6 surviving aliens. The only ones I found were in the UFO and too scared to leave.

I have just saw on artic map the same shoting more than 6 times on the face of aliens with his shotgun but without being worried about looking for cover or saving his life, maybe they have different agressive AI?