[v0.01]Expanded Ballistics - Realism and Flavor

Armakoir

This mod is a work in progress.

This initially started out as simply modifying the starting ballistic weapon names... but then you get the bug.

DESIGN CONCEPT

This mod tries to seek a balance between realism and flavor for ballistic weapons. Depending on the comprehensiveness of a given mod, ballistic weapons will only be so effective in the later game. Since this mod doesn't attempt to overhaul all weapons, it acknowledges the eventual ineffectiveness of ballistic weapons with an emphasis on flavor.

REQUIRES

X:CE 0.26HF2 (or greater?)

INTENDED FEATURES

Uses Ilunak/X:CE Modular system

Research Path - Soviet ballistic weapons

ballisticsUSSR.jpg

Research Path - American ballistic weapons

ballisticsUS.jpg

"Upgradeable" Weapons

Partial Manufacture of Weapons (see below)

Tooltips no longer display weapon statistics (instead, a general description of capabilities is given)

Some weapons no longer fit into your backpack

PROBABLE FEATURES

Research Path - "Other" ballistic weapons (i.e. non-super power weaponry)

Research Path - "Street" ballistic weapons (i.e. non-standard military weaponry)

Manufacture of Ammunition (with an emphasis on manufacturing specific calibers and not individual magazines, which would hopefully be a balance between survivalist realism and micro-management)

Simulated Disposable Rockets - M72 and AT4

Political Consequences when choosing initial research path (see below)

More guns!

CURRENTLY TROUBLESOME FEATURES

Manufacture and Upgrades - "ReplaceItem" through the researches.xml seems to work quite nicely for soldier weapons. Both equipped and stocked weapons are replaced with a new version (e.g. the CAR-15 gets replaced by the M4A1) when research is completed. However, if the CAR-15, for example, is set to be manufactured, it remains so after it has been replaced by the M4A1 and when you manufacture the CAR-15, it "disappears" since the CAR-15 is no longer available on the soldier equip screen. A "LockManufacture" option (similar to LockResearch) in researches.xml would fix this. At least for now, non-final versions of weapons are set to Unlimited.

LockResearch - I'm attempting to create simulated political consequences for initially choosing Soviet or American weaponry using the LockResearch hook. Basically, choosing American weaponry first locks the short Soviet research path and unlocks a long Soviet research path, and vice versa. However, right now, there's nothing stopping the player from researching both the American and Soviet short versions at the same time (or more exploitively holding the other path open with a single scientist). If the research screen allowed for 0 time research (which is possible, but not within the research screen itself) this might be possible. For now, this feature isn't going to be implemented.

REGARDING WEAPON UPGRADES

Don't expect massive improvements between new and old weapons, mostly because a 5.56mm round, for example, is only ever going to do so much damage. Upgrades result in minor changes to other aspects like clip size, rate of fire (TU usage), reaction modifiers, accuracy, range, etc.

NOTES REGARDING v0.01 CONTENTS

Research time is set as low as possible, for playtesting and "checkin' it out" purposes. Thus far, no crashes getting into or out of ground combat. And, of course, generally still plenty to do.

[ATTACH]5320[/ATTACH]

Best,

Arma

ballisticsUSSR.jpg

ballisticsUS.jpg

EBRF v0.01.zip

ballisticsUSSR.jpg.57de7fd909e441f007c14

ballisticsUS.jpg.33462c09b394189a3ffb1e6

EBRF v0.01.zip

Edited by Armakoir

Thanks gents.

After doing some temp changes for testing purposes in v0.01, I didn't change some weapons back to UnlmitedOnResearch, so some weapons you see at the beginning shouldn't actually be available.

Also, my intent was to balance this towards XNT, but that's not modular at the moment. So this will either change into a larger balance project or I'll end up making XNT compatible override files.