Battery Powered Weapons

Fucille

I'm in the process of just finishing a mod, but there is one specific thing getting in my way. I want to make a weapon that is powered by an internal supply that cannot be reloaded in the field. I tried representing this by setting it to ammo.none in weapons and weapons_gc, like grenades use, but that causes the game to crash instead. I'd rather not set it to use rockets and then just make its reload TU cost over 100, but that's the only way I can currently imagine achieving this effect.

Any ideas?

If I remember rightly all weapons are returned to full ammunition after a mission anyway, even if they just get back on the dropship but don't return to base.

You could just have the ammunition for your new weapon set to manufacture only but not unlock the manufacturing job. Then you have a weapon with no ammunition to carry but that recharges itself in the dropship after each mission.

I am not sure if that would prevent you from loading the weapon for the first mission though.

If that is the case then you could create an unlimited free ammunition type and call it 'Laser Battery Recharger' for example. Give it an inventory size larger than a backpack then it can never be carried but should automatically load a weapon when you equip it.

Don't know if this will work, but I just had a look at the vehicle weapons' ammo entries and it uses "default" for the ammo name. E.g.:

<Ammo [color=#FF0000]name="default"[/color] mitigation="25" damage="130" type="incendiary"><Projectile speed="1800" spectre="projectiles/heavymag/heavymag"/><Impact spectre="particles/bulletplume/bulletplume"/></Ammo>

It probably only works with vehicle weapons, but it might be worth checking just in case.

How about alien weapons?

They cannot be reloaded in ground combat by the player I believe, looking at how they are set up may help.

Incidentally I tried the ammo=default and it made the quick load slot blank but still allowed me to reload manually using the original ammo for some reason.

Edited by Gauddlike

I have a couple of non-reloadable weapons. The ammo shows up in the equip screen though so it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's still a neat way of doing it.

Make an ammo for the weapon. For example, one of my non-reload weapons is the einstoss - so it uses an ammo called einstoss_ammo. Give it the same image (or a trimmed version - in fact, giving it a transparent image would probably work, and there'd be an empty space where the ammo should be in the equip screen). In ammos, the einstoss_ammo size is set to 0x0 - this way, it can't be moved or selected, and the image is just a placeholder. Therefore, although it has an ammo...it doesn't.