Stand Alone Air Combat Mini game

GerbilSchooler

Any of you seasoned modders out there think it would be feasible to make a stand alone Air Combat game where you could set the match parameters and fight with any combination of Xenonaut aircraft V. any combination of alien aircraft? I don't know much about modding, but was thinking I wanted to try and do this with the help of my brother who is a coding genius (well, compared to me)

You kind of already can do this. I forget what you need to do to make it work exactly, but there's a way to force the game to load in air combat mode with pre-specified aircraft. I think you're limited to two player planes, though; you wouldn't be able to have three.

Try this?

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11776-Air-Combat-Tutorial?p=133075#post133075

I think you are limited to two because the starting base only has three hangars and one is taken up by the Chinook but I am not certain.

Might be worth looking at trying to change that as a starting point, either remove the Chinook or try adding an extra hangar, I think the former is easier than the latter.

The coding may also not be present in the source to read a third aircraft though.

*edit* I forgot the base has four hangars and one is empty, must be the coding problem.

Edited by Gauddlike

You know, I'm actually really interested in making an aircraft combat standalone game. The way that Chris has designed on a somewhat boring first impressions of a flight mini-game has turned into some sort of strategy aircraft simulator tasted like a sweet little cupcake to me.

It was bland fairly on, but as the difficulty ramps up, you really felt the tension of steering your aircraft out of harm's way while lining a bead on the backside of the UFO. It'd be awesome to make a full fledged mod out of this.

Ooh, that was my enthusiasm getting in the way. Anyway on topic, I think it's better to make this seperate from the main game itself, perhaps on a different program (flash?). There is alot of potential to be held expending the whole aspects of a flight strategy sim. The Red-Green radar vibe sure does add to the atmosphere of the mini-game itself.

Cometothinkofit, if anyone is singing the same tune here, you can PM me, I'm a Texture Artist :P.

Have you played Steambirds?

Hmm, just played the game, thought that turn-based was a nifty idea to add on the flight game though, albeit it being a simple game for iphones and androids and whatnot.

I was more into expending it into a more in-depth tactical strategy flight game that is set in the game of Xenonauts, or something similiar to modern technology aircraft.