Game freezes on loading Alien Bases (Steam)

[V1.09]

I've encountered this problem in two seperate games now - one Ironman and one not. On loading an Alien Base mission the game would advance 3 jumps on the loading bar and then just hang there. To exit I'd have to ctrl-alt-del to task manager.

The first time this happened was a non ironman playthrough. I'm pretty sure it's only certain kinds of base that are causing the problem, as I raided other bases than the one that wouldn't load while it was still on the map. Having tried verifying the cache and redownloading whole game to no success, I then deleted the /maps asset folder and reverified the cache. This seemed to work, allowing me to play the offending base.

Eventually I quit that game and started an ironman game, and on my first alien base the same crash happened. Deleting the /maps folder didn't work. I've subsequently tried moving the game folder to the c: drive (steam is on a partition), and replacing the tiles directory as per Section 6 of this thread http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11735-Common-Bugs-Fixes-in-Xenonauts!. No luck there.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I, as well as humanity, doomed?

This is probably not super helpful...but I can confirm it's loading fine for me.

This bug occasionally also happens with the Valkyrie for some reason, and I'm not sure what causes it as we can't reproduce it ourselves. Have you tried running the /assets/cleanfolder.bat? That deletes all the thumbs.db files, which sometimes fixes loading issues for people...although not sure it'll work on Linux.

I recommend you delete your /tiles/ and /maps/ folders again and revalidate. If that doesn't fix it I unfortunately don't really know what to suggest.

Thanks for getting involved with this, I appreciate it. Also, sorry for not replying sooner - I've been away. Prior to seeing your post I actually managed to get my game running. All I did this time was delete /maps and /tiles from the assets and revalidate. I was then able to attack the base as normal. Assuming the bases aren't randomly generated each time, the offending base was a Sebillian base. I'm fairly confident that on my previous game (which was fixed by deleting the /maps folder) one of the offending bases had the Sebillian tileset.

I'll keep an eye out for problems when I get the Valkyrie as well.

It might be of interest that there are a few of us on the Steam forum with the same issue, and we're all using 32 bit Windows, not OSX or Linux. http://steamcommunity.com/app/223830/discussions/0/540744934741722279/

Thanks again!

I have had this issue about three or four times now. I have had it in 1.07, CE.26 twice, CE.27.

After messing around a heap after the first one, I now find if I just load to before it happened and try again, the mission does load. I wonder if I am running out memory?

Sorry, I know it is not helpful for ironman playthroughs.