What is the "point" of the Community Edition?

lemm

I looked through the discussions and stickies, but I couldn't find any explicit mission statement for the community edition. Is it just supposed to be an enhanced version of the vanilla game, a whole new game, just a toy that a few people tinker with, or what? I did read that it could be used as a base for modding, but I didn't see any definite "end goals."

I looked through the discussions and stickies, but I couldn't find any explicit mission statement for the community edition. Is it just supposed to be an enhanced version of the vanilla game, a whole new game, just a toy that a few people tinker with, or what? I did read that it could be used as a base for modding, but I didn't see any definite "end goals."

It's basically a combination of two things:

1) A tool for modders. A lot of the additions add in extra things that can be modded without source-code access, or add in things that previously weren't moddable at all. This allows for new an exciting mods. Also, it adds in a new system for adding mods into the game which in the long run will make installing and combining mods easier.

2) Bug-fixes and non-gameplay affecting features. There's various bugfixes been added in from vanilla (see changelog for details) and some extra bonus features (e.g. a memorial screen for dead soldiers, flags for soldier nationalities, etc.). There's also some enhancements for air combat AI which will make it a little more challenging (but also more interesting too).

So even if you're not using X:CE-using mods, it's still worth using.

I should make it more clear, yes.

The goal is that it should be a better version than the vanilla game, while by default keeping the same gameplay. This basically means:

1. Bug fixes. X:CE has fixed numerous bugs in the game, some of those fixes then go into official Goldhawk patches.

2. New cosmetic and convenience features. There are features that do not affect the gameplay directly, but make things more convenient or just cooler. A memorial screen for dead soldiers, speed controls in air combat, and others.

3. Mod compatibility. This is a big one that hopefully gets also officially used by Goldhawk later, and automatically solves most mod compatibility issues (and makes the installation easier).

4. New modding features. This is most of my work - there are so many things that modders want to do, and X:CE enables numerous such modifications. Some things are actually quite easy to enable for modders, yet lead to a lot of potential. For example, modders can now create armours that boost any soldier stat or provide psionic defence, and that was under two hours of work, yet the possibilities are great.