Looking for Weapon Ideas

kabill

Update: I've uploaded another version with some fixes, including the ones brought up above.

I've also rebalanced automatic heavy weapons so they no longer get the move penalty but can only shoot once per turn for 80% TUs (like in vanilla). I was finding in my own games what I expected: that the LMG was too effective as a mobile assault weapon and it was either remove the short range bonus, or return it to one shot per turn. I chose the latter because it actually makes the weapon more distinct than the mobile rifles and carbines, and in the few missions I've tested since it's still very effective, just in a different way.

Awesome! :cool:

Hello there,

I must admit I really like the concept of your mod, it actually seems to adress my biggest gripe with xenonauts in general. The problem is, that when I install it and launch the game, an error message pops up saying - 'Rese.' is not a research category name (Name='Researches.PlasmaExplosives'.

I tried several configurations, with and without your mod (actually I wouldn't suspect compatibility problems as I only use your mods, namely FitH and Dynamic Spawn, and skitso's mappacks), but it seems Extended Armouries are causing the problem sadly. I am using the newest xce, but the problem also existed on 0.27.

Have had this issue myself (and forgot it might be an issue for other people, too!). It's because you're using FitH as well, which adds in an item to the plasma explosives tech which I've removed in Extended Armouries.

What'd I'd suggest as a temporary is going into the researches files in FitH and changing the entry there from Researches.PlasmaExplosives to Researches.AdvancedPlasmas. That will attach the plasma breaching charge to where it need to be. I'll come up with a better fix in the download when I have a chance, but that should sort you in the mean time.

My idea is a stun baton but deadlier and meant to kill not to capture, but alas it makes no sense as successfully stunning an alien who has been captured before is the same as killing them, thus the weapon is for show not for actual application. Might i add that the appearance would look good as a beam sword (Much like a lightsaber). I'm not sure if this can be actually done as i'm not that experienced with mods in this game, although from what i hear only aircrafts, guns, shields, and vehicles (and a few more) are stuff that can be changed. At the very least it's an alright noob concept.

Ah, I'd missed that I'd set that wrong too. Thanks for working through all of this, it's really helpful.

I found an animation issue with the Heavy Gauss Weapon: It's 'burstDelay' value is too high it should be lowered to about "0.1" so the animation doesn't cut out before the gun is done shooting.

(NOTE: Setting it to 0.005 makes it look like a long-range shotgun)

What about sonic weapons?

The Cold War has a history of experimental research involving the research of Ray guns . You can utilize them to be used like a series of light AOE weapons, causing alot of widespread damage but not enough to kill even a non-guard alien. Best used to 'cook' a group of aliens grouped together for hilarity and crowd control.

This, first thing I thought of was Sonic Weapons, also it was a weapon branch in TFTD I think. Also, there is real history of them in development and even back as far as WW2 the Nazis actually developed a prototype of a "X-Ray Cannon", though it was never deployed and mysteriously vanished after completion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, not sure if it was already said. With the bayonet idea someone had, can't you make it just so when you do a normal melee attack that it can take into account the weapon you are holding? So the ranged weapon isn't doing the melee attack but the melee attack is just getting a boost because you have a bayonet on your gun. I guess when you melee the weapon just says yes or no to having a bayonet to make the attack stronger or have more armor penetration or whatever. It seems that would be more possible/plausible.

Edited by ScottyJ8705

Can't be done. Best bet with melee attacks is to actually make them proper weapons (e.g. combat knife). I've been tempted to add in a knife, actually, but I'm not quite sure what role it would serve.

Lightweight, killing melee weapon, that can be used several times in a single turn with the added bonus of a 1.5 Reaction Modifier?

Sounds perfect for my Scout of whom has 84 TUs and can flank the enemy with ease.

somehow I overlooked this mod so far, will try out as it targets obvious weapon-tree drawbacks I've complained about in the XNT thread.

as to suggestions, so far I can ask for a "plasma burner" instead of a shotgun. Should be a rework of a flamer, but I haven't thought this out and other weapon-related stuff yet

upd

it won't work with XNT right?

Edited by podbelski

• 7 months later...

Hey kabill, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to know if you're still planning to support/expand this mod? I think it's still the best weapon "rebalance" mod around and has been a part of my xenonauts install for a long time (as have almost every other of your great mods). If you're done with this, I've an internal version with some bugfixes and minor improvements (mainly unique sounds for the new weapons). I'd be willing to upload my version at some point and keep this mod alive (it still requires the trudging data entry work to strings.xml before one could consider it a "completed" mod, I think). With your permission, of course.

Honestly, I don't even remember what was in this mod. I built a new one earlier this year that was a fairly extensive GC mod with new/modified weapons as part of it but I never quite finished off the last few bits.

I might get around to finishing and releasing that mod at some point but it's fairly different to the prototype I uploaded here. As I don't have plans to go back to that prototype, you're more than welcome to release a fixed version. Credit appropriately, but otherwise do whatever. And if you want, post a link here to wherever you set things up.

(It's be nice to have it on Steam as well. If you're not a Steam user, I could upload it there for you should you be ok with that.)

Right, thanks! I'll let you know when I have the mod packed in a state suitable for a release.

I actually found your mod just randomly browsing the download section. Liked the initial description, downloaded and dug around the mod files and really liked what I saw, afterwards started adding some small tweaks here and there. It actually took me quite a while to find this very thread where the mod took shape :)

Intrigued about your extensive GC overhaul mod, I hope to see it materialize some day! I'm using Dynamic UFO's, You Can't Take the Sky From Me (another great mod I've been tweaking around a lot lately), Hold the Line! and this (also Fire in the Hole & Cybernetic armor, but they don't really ramp-up the challenge), and I'm really finding the difficulty spot-on (Ironman/Insane), without the game never really degrading into a mop-up phase. Thank you for all the hard work you've put to these great mods!

• 2 weeks later...