Am I the only one who thinks berserking is silly?

So I'm rocking the Psilons, right? Full landing ship on the ground, full crew complement. I've housed like five guys outside.

Forward guy with a laser shotgun gets hit with the alien psionic attack, becomes "unnerved". Next turn, shoots the guy next to him. Takes two full shots. Just drills the guy next to him. He didn't even get shot at.

::headdesk::

What? Panicking? Fleeing? Sure, fine. Shooting your friends when under mind control? Totally okay with that.

Do aliens even have morale? I know they can be suppressed, but I've never seen one flee.

I wouldn't mind if berserking meant shooting wildly at the aliens with a (greatly) increased chance of friendly fire to any Xenonauts who were more-or-less in the line of fire. But it does seem that every time my guys berserk, they fire into a nearby squadmate. Repeatedly.

I justify this to myself as the aliens getting into the 'nauts head, making him see his buddies as grotesque aliens. But if it isn't supposed to be alien mind control, then I agree it is a little messed up to unload into a buddy repeatedly like that, just due to fear.

It wouldn't be as bad if they just randomly fired at different squares, as darkwombat said in the general direction of the aliens. A berserking trooper shouldn't blatantly mistake a friendly for an alien at close range. Getting inside your head really only works with Caesans and Praetors though. None of the others have psionics. Then again, about 80% of critical morale failures seem to be when fighting those two groups.

I wouldn't mind if berserking meant shooting wildly at the aliens with a (greatly) increased chance of friendly fire to any Xenonauts who were more-or-less in the line of fire. But it does seem that every time my guys berserk, they fire into a nearby squadmate. Repeatedly.

I justify this to myself as the aliens getting into the 'nauts head, making him see his buddies as grotesque aliens. But if it isn't supposed to be alien mind control, then I agree it is a little messed up to unload into a buddy repeatedly like that, just due to fear.

in training:

if you get angry, close your eyes and push the trigger

I think it is actually a "hallucinate" psychic attack, where they see friendlies as enemies. I though they were going to replace the caption "berserk" with "hallucinate" at some stage.

It's a low morale effect, doesn't require any psychic attack.

I will take a look at moraleconfig_gc.xml

In X-COM, berserking didn't always mean shooting your buddies. Sometimes, they'd shoot the ground, sometimes they'd spin looking for targets. Xenonauts seems to be set to "nearest target" which I disagree with.

Berserking does not fire at the nearest target, it randomly chooses one that can be fired upon. But yes, low-morale berserking has firing at units forced, just like hallucinating. Hmm. It's a rather low chance to berserk anyway, but I've changed this for the next X:CE.

Berserking does not fire at the nearest target, it randomly chooses one that can be fired upon. But yes, low-morale berserking has firing at units forced, just like hallucinating. Hmm. It's a rather low chance to berserk anyway, but I've changed this for the next X:CE.

Makes sense to me. I think they mislabeled it, as what I've read states the soldier is really hallucinating. Given this is caused by an alien Psi-Attack, I am assuming the soldier sees said random person AS an Alien and opens fire. But this situation suffers from a question of What exactly DO you call it?