GROUND COMBAT: friendly NPCs & unique tile sets

First, I'm wondering what kind of NPCs will be added in the ground maps besides citizens blocking your way.

I'm hoping for police officers and other kinds of armed guards who would try to help you attack the alien presence with weaker damage done or just run and hide. In harder difficulties, Aliens can mind control the armed officers to start firing your way, lmao. So you kill the officer/the mind controlling alien or kill both :) The best part is you don't know the NPC is mind controlled until it attacks you. Good times to be had.

I'm hoping for a variety of NPCs later on, such as Children, elderly, and police as stated above! What do you guys think?

Second, I'm really really hoping for unique tile sets for every country you go to in the world. If you go to japan, I'm hoping for Japanese-style tile sets. If you go to Antarctica to eliminate an alien threat, I'm hoping for an icy-type terrain and I'll add that it would be sweet to give your soldiers a cool looking outfit to combat the extreme weather climate.

Wishful thinking I suppose :)

Btw, I'll be per-ordering when this bad boy goes to Beta stage!

1) Local forces are already intended.

2) Children might be hard to argue why they should be in, at least in terror missions. They would probably require different AI then regular civvies if there should be any point to it. And that would probably jsut be too much work to be worth it.

3) There's going to be an arctic/snow tileset. Right now we have industrial and farm. Not sure how many others we are getting but at least a couple more. National tilesets are going too be a lot of work and probably very little reward. You could modd in tilesets yourself. Not sure if you would be able to tie them to nations/regions unless you ask Chris for it in the modders wishlist section.

Edited by Gorlom

1) Local forces are already intended.

2) Children might be hard to argue why they should be in, at least in terror missions. They would probably require different AI then regular civvies if there should be any point to it. And that would probably jsut be too much work to be worth it.

Have children running around get shot, that will get you emotional. I would say it makes no difference to, I just want great balanced game. I just thought adding varieties on useless NPCs would be neat.

3) There's going to be an arctic/snow tileset. Right now we have industrial and farm. Not sure how many others we are getting but at least a couple more. National tilesets are going too be a lot of work and probably very little reward. You could modd in tilesets yourself. Not sure if you would be able to tie them to nations/regions unless you ask Chris for it in the modders wishlist section.

I read that they had to pay a whole lot of money to remake tilesets to keep up with triple-A game developers. So I thought if they won't make a couple hundred unique tilesets for going to different parts of the world, because of the costs or its just a pain in the a$$, maybe let modders implement them as you said :)

Btw are you waiting to preorder until beta because you dont have the money or because you dont want to play untill beta? Paying now gives Chris a better chance to make a better game =). (you don't have to answer I just wanted to point it out ^^)

Btw are you waiting to preorder until beta because you dont have the money or because you dont want to play untill beta? Paying now gives Chris a better chance to make a better game =). (you don't have to answer I just wanted to point it out ^^)

Yes, I will save my money as I'm very poor and without work for the past 5 months. I would like to buy premium because I feel this game will be what I want in an X-COM clone. I would love to play-test early builds of any entertaining game because I enjoy looking for bugs and glitches to report making sure my game is as good as it'll get in the future.

Plus, I have my doubts on the latest trailer of the new X-COM game by 2K Games. I feel they will miss somethings I wanted and add too much of something I don't want. I hate triple-A devs nowadays, with a passion. I refuse to play Triple-A titles until they get a big price drop in the future.

Only adult civilians (male and female) and local forces (military, etc.) are planned.

Good to know :) Thank you!

Plus, I imagine doing all the different models would be a bit of a bear.
well civvies shouldnt be as much problem as say a new weapon, armor or alien. Civvies are baisicly unarmed so they only really require the sprites for running, walking, standing still and dying. possibly crouching and vaulting as well. They dont need a new set of sprites for every weapon or armor, they dont need sprites for fireing a gun or throwing anything. Maybe they would need some sprites for boxing the Xenonauts in melee combat incase they are being mindcontrolled, I don't know.

Soldiers need number of armours times number of weapons times different possible actions the soldier can perform. So that escalates quite fast. Aliens need type times weapons available to that race times actions. (still alot but not as many as the soldiers i think)

Civvies should be a cakewalk compared to weapons or armours... unless I missed something.

I think Fallout 1/2 are the only games to have killable children. In any case it's very uncommon.

You can in WoW too. Only they are called gnomes and wear fake beards and mustaches. (or goblins and are painted green). Although all the orphan children are unkillable now that I think about it. Guess it's some kind of MAX 2 murders/killings per houshold kind of thing.

Edited by Gorlom

I want a rated M Xenonauts mod in the future :) Whatever needs to be done to make it that bad for kids and teenagers but awesome for adults. It would satisfy my evil thirst >). I'm kidding now. If X-COM is as great as it is and rated E, then Xenonauts need not change at all.

Kill able animals perhaps? Farm animals in farmlands I mean, also accidental killings. I'm hoping aliens don't target the farm animals.

Jagged Alliance 2 has killable children as well, at the least version I bought when the game was new has them. Of course there is no reason to actually do this in the game and your support from the locals would go down the drain (if I remember right), but they might accidentally get killed in cross fire during town battles, just like the adult civilians.