(V0.03)Project Dreamfall: An Immersive Xenonauts Texture Mod

LordJulian

Project Dreamfall (V0.03)

The objective of this mod is to achieve the Immersive Realism(I'm putting that term loosely) while retaining to the believability of Game Mechanics. I took hours of researching on Cold War era weapons and vehicles and try to squeeze any possible entity onto what would be reasonably the most well-funded secret organisation bent on fending off an alien Invasion. The infantry weapons are glazed to the point where it looks more like a spacey 1980s style of what a counter-alien force would have used.

For now, the only new weapon is the MAC-10B SMG. It's made to allow more flexibility for shielded units. While more woefully inaccurate than the shotgun, it's perfect for mobile suppression and serious firepower in close combat.

Aircrafts and Vehicles will be added in the future, but for now, the EF-112 Strider is added as an option for as a long range scout role. Functioning similiar to the XNT Apollo and the AWACs from another modder. Still, there are a few text errors and the Xenopedia log isnt available for now, but I'll add to each respective aircraft in the future

Now that the new items added are not balanced perfectly yet. I've yet to make more stuff atm so at the next release I'll try to tweak it to balance the gameplay. (So yes, this mod makes the game easier for now)

(Note that all the Aircraft and Weapon Pics have been started from scratch and only done with photoshop, no copying of image sources online, just referenced)

Weapons & Equipment

Pistol

pistol.jpg

P220 Pistol with Extended Magazine

Place Of Origin: Switzerland

Caliber: 45 ACP rounds

Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds (But can be considered as a retrofitted 15 rounds pistol for Xenonauts use)

Seems that the vanilla pistol feels like a pea-shooter against the aliens, so I made a .45 pistol for the added punch, and gave it a sci-fish coating to it. I would go for the USP but it was years ahead of 1979 and most 15-cap pistols are 9mm, a poor choice when poking aliens with it.

Shotgun

shotgun.jpg

KS-23 Shotgun

Place Of Origin: Soviet Union

Caliber: 23x75mmR

Magazine Capacity: 4 rounds (Should probably add a magazine for the shotgun in the future)

A large caliber shotgun would certainly make sense since the Xenonauts need all the firepower they can get. the Shotgun barrel comes from the design of retired 23mm anti-aircraft cannons so you would expect the barrel to end up aiming at them Sebillians. I have researched that this is the most powerful shotgun to date(from wikipedia):P.

Rifle

assaultrifle.jpg

M16A2 Rifle

Place Of Origin: United States

Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO

Magazine Capacity: 20 Rounds

The M16A2 has existed since the early 1980s so I thought I give the rifle an update and a more spacey design. Considering that the Xenonauts have access to world government funding there is no surprise that they would get the latest weapons firsthand.

Sniper Rifle

precisionrifle.jpg

MSG90A1

Place Of Origin: West Germany

Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO

Magazine Capacity: 10 Rounds

The MSG90 sniper rifle seemed like a prime choice for a semi-auto long range weapon.Can't think of other sniper rifles that would better fit the Xenonauts armoury.

Still deciding whether to get the WaltherWA2000 or the MSG90A1, a more sleek make-sense for 1980s sci-fi sniper rifle or stick to vanilla because I didnt change the groundcombat sprites of the sniper rifle. :(

Machine Gun

machinegun.jpg

HK21

Place Of Origin: West Germany

Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO

Magazine Capacity: 30 Rounds

I've checked around weapons and feel that the HK21 seems a more suitable candidate for the idea of an accurate, and lightweight(it's about 8kg?) albeit high recoil LMG for the Xenonauts team.

Submachine Gun

mac10b.jpg

Mac-10B Patriot

Place Of Origin: USA

Caliber: .45 ACP

Magazine Capacity: 30 Rounds

An inaccurate submachine gun that packs a heavy punch in close quarters. Ideal for shield units that needed the extra firepower in short ranges. The Mac-10B 'Patriot' was more of a retrofit with an added recoil compensator for constant burst stability.

Jackal Armour

jackalarmour_Preview.jpg

The jackal armour has been edited to look more structured rather than just a blob of Grey(lol).

Aircraft

EF-112 Strider

EF-112 Strider.jpg

The EF-112 Strider is designed to be a Reconnaissance Fighter. Originally an Electronics Warfare aircraft, the EF 111-a Raven has been retrofitted for Xenonauts use with an enhanced radar subsystem.

Strengths:

- Better speed than Condor

- Large Radar radius for scouting

- Good Turn rate as a dogfighter

Weaknesses:

- Frail

- Only armed with a Cannon Slot

Download:

Just extract the files to the assets folder

Release Notes:

V0.01: Basic Ballistic Firearms Retexture Release

V0.02: Heavy Ballistic Firearms Retexture Release

V0.03: 1 New weapon and Aircraft, the Mac-10B 'Patriot' SMG and the EF-112 Strider based on the EF-111 Raven. All ballistic weapons textures have been improved. Rocket Launcher removed.

Future Releases:

- Improving on the Historical feasibility of the current ballistic weapons

- Improving on the Graphics of the pics(which some might be lacking in quality to others)

- Adding new pics of Vehicles, Aircrafts and Armour

- Adding in new weapons

- Update the Xenopedia

- Possibly make a full mod out of this...

Due to my limited knowledge on scripting I'm going at snail pace in adding new weapons and aircraft. This is my first attempt to make an overhaul at this, at the moment it's rather barebones, so if you have any constructive feedback to point out please do so.

If there's any errors or missing things in the downloads just point it out so I can fix it.

Just PM me if you have any requests about this mod. :cool:

pdreamfall_V0.03.zip

pistol.jpg

assaultrifle.jpg

mac10b.jpg

jackalarmour_Preview.jpg

EF-112 Strider.jpg

pdreamfall_V0.03.zip

precisionrifle.jpg

shotgun.jpg

machinegun.jpg

pistol.jpg.85f72037df980cbc77e87536c8338

assaultrifle.jpg.8d8c870038caa731f4b7784

mac10b.jpg.d38f7b5dd3370bfaecbd114b7724d

jackalarmour_Preview.thumb.jpg.b352e71e9

577e7d1bc841a_EF-112Strider.jpg.10ba31ab

pdreamfall_V0.03.zip

precisionrifle.jpg.817b005b44d0542eccce4

shotgun.jpg.0968091c82d90bc108af0fe70baa

machinegun.jpg.83682481705cfa1d7bc5aada5

Edited by LordJulian

Well, there was this point of time a week ago where I tried to learn modding new weapons in but in my attempts all I've got was missing equipment in the equipment screen.

Which I went ballistic(Ironically) after prodding that stupid code for a few times.

Thanks for the offer though, I'll try again sometime when I have the time to mod again. :)

My goodness, how hard is it to include a new weapon?

I'm still fretting over creating new weapons in the XML files, even after following the tutorial from Mikhail, and even worse, all the items are gone on the soldier equip screen...... I think the Openoffice program that I had installed might have bollocked up the XML files... If someone can offer some help in this I would appreciate it alot.

Anyway, here's what I've been working on:

An Improvement to the Jackal Armour

jackalarmour_Preview.jpg

A new weapon, Mac-10B

mac10b.jpg

Other improvements of the current textured weapons are also on the way.

jackalarmour_Preview.jpg

mac10b.jpg

jackalarmour_Preview.thumb.jpg.797031aff

mac10b.jpg.ed18369961e3eadb06565d138bcb3

• 2 weeks later...