Does assualting a crash site earn more points than an airstrike?

Ground missions do not affect nation relations, neither do airstrikes. The relations bonus comes from shooting down the UFO in the first place.

So, basically we are not doing our little UFO-partying for national relations nor for money, the difference in cash gained seems rather smallish. We do it for fun, to pillage stuff we need to research and progress with the gameplay, to stun and carry away the alien personnel we need?

More or less, yes. Although the cash difference is quite large, in my opinion anyway (it's what, $10,000 to airstrike a light scout, while you'll net ~$40,000 if you do a ground mission).

And on top of that, you need the experience for your soldiers.

It's a vicious circle. You need money and items to pay for the aircraft which lets you get more money and items which lets you pay for more aircraft and so on and so forth until suddenly you have Marauders across the map and you only need a few UFOs a month to pay for them. When you have total air superiority it's like waking up from a dream.

Ground missions do not affect nation relations

Wait, not entirely, right? If the UFO is landed, assaulting it gives the same relationship bonus as if you had intercepted it in first place. I remember seeing that in another question some time ago.

Wait, not entirely, right? If the UFO is landed, assaulting it gives the same relationship bonus as if you had intercepted it in first place. I remember seeing that in another question some time ago.

Terror missions also give a relations boost for successful completion. I believe alien bases do as well, but I'm not completely certain on that.