Mod upload/download system

Solver

Uploading mods as attachments sucks. Uploading mods to a third-party site where you have no control over it sucks. Writing your mods to floppy drives and mailing them to anyone who requests the mod is slightly retro.

Therefore it's a good idea for this forum to integrate an upload/download system. People can upload their own files, and edit them later for updates and so on, anyone can easily download (also without having a forum account). I've set the system up, and it's available to test here or just by clicking the new Downloads link in the navigation bar at the top.

Questions to You, The People, so that it may enter a working state. What categories of files do we initially want to have? What file types do you want to upload?

Feel free to upload test stuff if you want, I'll just wipe everything after receiving some input.

Categories...

Well if you're talking categories for mods, Kabill's categories are a good outline: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9992-Calling-all-Modders-Producing-A-List-of-Active-Mods

For file types, the basic image types obviously (png, jpg, etc.), archive files (zip, 7z, rar), text files (xml, lua, txt), and Microsoft Office files and pdfs. I think that covers the basics. The last one isn't as important as the first 3.

I will reduce the attachment size to something more sane after this goes operational, I do not really wish to encourage large attachments.

What is a good acceptable file size? 100 MB? Most mods are way below that, but XNT has a 600 MB core, which might anyway be an exception and too much for that system to handle (though I could arrange something else for the XNT folks).

Oi!

Thanks to having to do other things on the forum, Drone Strike is going to have to wait until I get some sleep, as I'm too tired to focus properl on what I'm doing.

EDIT: Just before I do that, I've gone into the batcave and I can't see on my panel any of sD's files awaiting my attention.

Edited by Max_Caine

Heh I appreciate that you are willing to lend us a hand with hosting our mod (unless I understood wrong ? ).TD and I are getting annoyed by mediafire each day.Couple of times our mod was completely wiped or not fully "synchronized" and we had to re-upload whole package from scratch,also week ago mediafire desktop client was making dozen of copies of every update that was uploaded ....Not to mention that vet and potential players are overwhelmed by advertises and captcha.(This was already reported and in some cases people couldn't download mod if they used mozilla).

Edited by Sentelin

Regarding file size, I'd say 100mb is more than adequate. I'd snap your hand off for 50mb, and I'd probably still only use half of that.

Don't know if this is still an open discussion, but yeah, 100mb/mod seems fine in most cases. I think the only mods likely to struggle with that are mods adding lots of images (especially new aliens/unit sprites). For reference, I think the largest of my mods is ~30-40mb.

Right, I've just had a go at uploading the Drone Strike mod, both the vanilla and skaianDestinies CE port. Seems to work okay. One thing I would say is I spent about 5 minutes looking for an upload button on the main screen before I tried pressing one of the categories. Not immediately obvious what to do.