Will a multiplayer mode ever be added?

lemm

Will there ever be a 1v1 death-match arena mode incorporated into the community edition?

This was a popular request when the original game was in development, so I figured that it might have been taken into consideration for the community expansion?

No.

Writing multiplayer code is difficult in the first place, and the game has to from the beginning be intended to work with it, or else it becomes much more difficult to work around potential sync issues, and so on. And that is under good circumstances, which are certainly not the case here. As in, totally - the engine does not even have any networking or multiplayer code, and so implementing anything like that is well beyond the scope of the community edition.

• 3 months later...
The 1st person controls the xenonauts, while the other command local forces :)

Would the strategy as local forces be "swarm them with wave after wave of units until you finally kill one alien" ?

xD, seriously unless you nerf the heck out of the Local's, It'd make things a bit..Op, Maybe the Local forces of one continent, so that person could take responsibility of defending one region of the world like say..Africa, or North America.

I could see that working, but you'd need to have them use only their own funding, And instead of one great base, tons of small outposts...and keep them on Ballistic tech, but allow them to upgrade to better and better ones later on, like starting with one era of tech, then upgrading later on.

...I'd play a local forces version of this game, you could have swat, soldiers, normal airforces that fight in entire squads instead of the ones the xenonauts use..I'd like it