Formations/Scripted Deployment

Aldazar

I think it'd be nice to have the ability to set up (and even better, save once set up) formations and then move groups of soldiers in formation. For example, the ability to form a squad consisting of a machine gunner, 2 riflemen, and a medic, arrange them so they're covering each other, and then move them all at once while keeping them in formation, would be very useful for crossing open spaces (one click instead of 4). You would, of course, break up the "autopilot" when an enemy was spotted (similar to how movement stopped when you spotted an alien in the original X-Com), but for covering space, it would be useful... It would be even cooler if you could "script" or save deployment patterns out of the transport...

These suggestions come from the parts of the game I found tedious in the original X-Com...

Formations would be a bit unwieldy in practice - they were discussed at length on the previous forums but I was unconvinced. In the new build you can use the soldier hotkeys by pressing them once and that doesn't centre the camera on the soldier. So you can mass move lots of soldiers at once by hotkey selecting them and just clicking a destination, then hotkeying another and clicking the same place.

Hotkey selecting soldiers doesn't stop other soldiers from moving so you can mass-move troops quickly that way.