Better name for the Foxtrot

The Foxtrot is supposed to be an update to the MiG-31 Foxhound, yes?

A Foxhound.....a dog that hunts foxes. So....surely a better name for an upgraded Foxhound would be something like Wolfhound, a dog that hunts wolves. But no, instead it's Foxtrot....a fox that has the trots?

Wolfhound is better and that's what I rename them all to in my game.

Soviet fighters have traditionally been given names that start with F by NATO (e.g., MiG-15 Fagot, MiG-17 Fresco...) Similarly, Soviet bombers had NATO code names beginning with "B" (e.g., Tu-16 Badger). However, MiG fighters have traditionally had odd numbers, so the last interceptor produced by the USSR was the MiG-31 Foxhound. It is actually a much better airplane than the game's MiG-32, and has an internal cannon. But it became operational after the game's timeline (1981). Still in service in Russia and Kazakhstan.

-- Mal

Edited by malthaussen

I rename all of my fighters after swords: sorted into squadrons (the sword type being the squadron name), based on their base and class. So at one base you might have Claymore 1, Claymore 2, Scimitar 1, Rapier 2, and Longsword 1; and you won't see those name pop up at another base.

The Foxtrot is supposed to be an update to the MiG-31 Foxhound, yes?

A Foxhound.....a dog that hunts foxes. So....surely a better name for an upgraded Foxhound would be something like Wolfhound, a dog that hunts wolves. But no, instead it's Foxtrot....a fox that has the trots?

Wolfhound is better and that's what I rename them all to in my game.

It's about hunting?!

I feel like an idiot for having Foxtrot, Tango, Cha Cha and Charleston now...

I rename all of my fighters after swords: sorted into squadrons (the sword type being the squadron name), based on their base and class. So at one base you might have Claymore 1, Claymore 2, Scimitar 1, Rapier 2, and Longsword 1; and you won't see those name pop up at another base.

I also name them after swords too, although by class instead of by base. Condors are Daggers, Foxtrots are Broadswords, etc.

Soviet fighters have traditionally been given names that start with F by NATO (e.g., MiG-15 Fagot, MiG-17 Fresco...) Similarly, Soviet bombers had NATO code names beginning with "B" (e.g., Tu-16 Badger). However, MiG fighters have traditionally had odd numbers, so the last interceptor produced by the USSR was the MiG-31 Foxhound. It is actually a much better airplane than the game's MiG-32, and has an internal cannon. But it became operational after the game's timeline (1981). Still in service in Russia and Kazakhstan.

-- Mal

This. Additionally, it's two-syllables for jet-engines, and one-syllable for prop. Tu-95 Bear, Tu-160 Blackjack. La-7 Fin, La-15 Fantail.