Singularity cannon unusable even in predator armor

Is this intended or it's the bug? I mean, it leaves you some TUs to fire it, but then you can never reload the gun. That's weird. But if this is what it is, i'll deal with it. If not, i'll mod the weight.

How many TUs does your soldier have? Reloading takes a set amount of them rather than a percentage. I haven't used it myself, but I've read that you can't carry that much ammo for it. If your guy has low TUs and he's carrying enough weight to lower it further, he may not have enough left over for the reload.

Alternatively, I noticed with alien weapons that I have to go into the inventory and manually drag the ammo from the inventory into the gun, clicking on the reload button didn't work.

My experience with this cannon is next: it's a waste of time and resources.

Say your soldier has 100 str, 100 TU and wears Predator armor. Equipping singularity cannon decreases TU down to 64. Making a shot costs 52 TU. Reloading takes 60 TU (I'm not kidding, it really does). Equipping one more battery takes 4 additional TU. In the end this weapon can only be only used as a stationary one. Utterly useless and pointless. Same as Fury.

I'd propose to remove Singularity core from the game entirely as it does not lead to any useful research/technology. But not only that. The very existence of the singularity core is illogical and weird. At least the way in-game aliens use it: they use an eternal source of infinite amount of energy... to power up few engines, few cannons and hyperspace drive, which could perfectly work without the core (take a look at the carrier). What a waste! It's like you mount a jet engine on your car and then put a limiter on it 'because that thing is too damn powerful'.

well, what really didn't make sense to me is that you had to use one core to build a gun, but then the ammunition was free. What's up with this? Does it go into gun itself? With all it's power? Probably not. So it's consumed by ammunition, it's just not limited because there's so many of it. So, why can't i build another gun to use with that ammo?

Also, my guy with just around 84 TUs was able to move a bit and fire, and reloading took a bit less then 60 tus, but yeah, that's not the most useful weapon ever.

The Singularity Cannon is useful in the Endgame mission, because a) you don't have to worry about artifact recovery and b) it's one long corridor. 2 predators armed with singularity cannons swept the corridor clear and obliterated the final boss. They then kept the Reapers off my back until eveyone had evacc'd.

Wait, there are reapers present on the last mission? O_o I didn't see any. I just killed the boss, moved my guys to the portals (took me few turns) and that's it! Although debrief screen indicated 12 alive aliens left and I was like 'wat O_O'

If you move quickly through the mission you will never see them; after a few turns they start coming into the map from your start point. On my first play of the mission I didn't see them until I deliberately backtracked after clearing the final room. Then I spent a few turns blowing them up with the Singularity Cannon :)

Well, singularity cannon wasn't that much of help. But yeah, i used it to blow up their heavy drone and then a praetor. In the face!

Then reapers ate all my guys. No idea how you manage to never see them, they appear after some 6 turns on so.

I might have been on a lower difficulty (I'm weak and play on Normal); that may affect how quickly the Reapers come out to play. I also moved very aggressively through the level as I knew there was a time limit.

Did you blow up the generators? I did.

Well, i couldn't split the team up, after the praetor was killed i only had 4 men left. I mean, sure i was moving agressively instead of taking cover all day every day and maybe using shields with spotters, but time limit is a time limit. I only had like 2 turns after praetor was killed until reapers started spawning.

the weight of the singularity cannon is ridiculous tbh- you can load a predator armored soldier with magstorm and backpack full of ammo AND breaching charges so that he has literally 0 inventory space remaining and he still doesnt lose a single TU, yet the empty singularity cannon removes half the TU. Gameplay-wise this means its useless aside from the very last mission and a fun occurrence: even though you might be able to fire the weapon, you can have so much TU loss if carrying too much ammo YOU DONT HAVE TU TO RELOAD IT at the start of next turn.

as it is, if you need a obstacle remover, use any vehicle, even the hunter can have railgun attached to it- no way you can get singularity cannon and 12 rounds into a normal mission easier than just using the vehicle.

EDIT:

it appears reloading the 50-kilo hunk takes 40 TU, so if the unit you give it has 100 TU before weapon, he can only carry 7 extra ammo to have enough TU to reload with full turn. ofc, if you really want to you can drop the entire backpack, wait one turn, reload, then pick up the ammo gain, so you theoretically *can* out-perform the hyperion ammo capacity of 12 with 2 operatives... if you use 3 turns to reload per shot. that way you can carry a maximum of 28 shots into combat with 2 men (one in launcher, 10 in backpack, 3 on belt) and fire them all in just under 50 or so turns.

EDIT2:

actually, if staying immobile and dumping the excess ammo under the operator it *IS* possible to have the weapon firing every second turn outperforming vehicles on terrain leveling quite well. given that majority of the weight comes from the weapon, rest of the predator soldiers can carry extra ammo, too.

Edited by corpse
added the reload time calcualtions

Is it a sensible/practical weapon? No.

Does it make me cackle with glee every time I fire it and catch 5 enemies in the radius and make them explode? Yes.

actually, using the "stay where your drop pod lands and level the entire map with 1 flying guy calling targets from above" with even 1 of these is surprisingly fun AND sensible it seems. ofc its slow as what and civilan hearts and minds are literally all over the place but its fun- especially when augmenting the "backpack fulll of ammo and magstorm in hand"-firing line.

• 1 year later...

If u train your men or women 100 str and 100 tu, its pretty usable. I loaded 11 extra ammo and realoading is nopro. But with 40 tu left they allways way behind those 100 tu soldiers. But the range of this cannon is very good so u can sometimes kill most of the enemies at your starting point.