Xenonauts, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, A Final Review

Okay gang, I know that any thread will eventually creep from the subject matter of the OP to other things, but this has gone from "a critique of Xenonauits" to "Here's what you must put in Xenonauts, and you must do this now". If you want to do that, then please start a new thread.

I have an idea here, why wont Tonysmight and Navi1982 create a company and make a perfect ufo remake in 9-12 months? They seem to know eveyrthign about the bussiness, will be a cake walk.And since they pinpointed the most important weaknesses of the game (lack of 3d geoscape ) im sure it will sell like hot cakes.

Edited by FireStorm1010

Firestorm, you appear to be very angry. Fair enough, you're unhappy with other forumites but that's not the way to do things. Please take a step back and chill.

Sorry if you think its over the line,I am not very angry, merely ironic. Anyway its my last post in this thread, said all i wanted to say.

I am a product development manager in the enterprise software space. I've personally been responsible for $1 million dollar plus projects.

Developing a game is very different from enterprise software. It requires highly skilled programmers who generally have a high understanding of tertiary mathematics, who have to work long hours, and despite all this can have a disparity in pay.

With that in mind, I think the developers have done an outstanding job on Xenonauts. I don't actually particularly like the game, as I struggle to get past the battle map engine, but knowing what I know, they are deserving of praise.

I find the original posters review quite naïve really of the commercial realities of software development, and a lot of criticism undue. Also the strong wording use, such as "unacceptable", I find quite disrespectful of the effort and passion that goes into game development. Quite arrogant of you to consider your complaints as "unacceptable".

"Unacceptable" is the state of release of games such as Sword of The Stars 2, or X Rebirth. Your petty complaints are *far* from unacceptable.

Criticism is one thing, but naïve criticism is another, and the entire review comes across to me as somewhat entitled.

I've got to hand it to the developers though. Dealing with gamers as your customers can be pretty tough, with their sky high expectations.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing what further projects come out of this.

I have an idea here, why wont Tonysmight and Navi1982 create a company and make a perfect ufo remake in 9-12 months? They seem to know eveyrthign about the bussiness, will be a cake walk.And since they pinpointed the most important weaknesses of the game (lack of 3d geoscape ) im sure it will sell like hot cakes.

I would be happy to participate in such a project. I think at least 5 people is needed in the team:

1. Сoncept designer and leader of the game - all conceptual ideas, game rules depend on this man. Programming and artistic skills is pleased. Also called game developer. And this man must be a good writer for scenarios. In ideal case - must be a project leader.

2. Art-designer with skills in some 2D and 3D graphical design programs (GDP).

3. Modeller with skills in 2D and 3D GDPs (obligatorily) and some programming skills is pleased.

4. Programmer OOP - with skills of interface programming, DB and experience with some general algorithms (maths, path finder, etc.)

5. Programmer for graphics 3D and 2D and experience with general algorithms (maths, path finder, etc.).

And some third party of works will be attached: Sounds, Musics, etc.

It is not strong description for team. But it is my vision for development such games. By the way, first 3 persons will be responsable for game visual look. Another 2 persons, in cooperation with 1st, will be responsable for game engine.

So also, the publisher must be found. Or do it on entusiasm ;)

I think, for about 2 years game will be done may be less. In the case of sponsorship from the publisher - need about $120 000 (for my country/region) and about 50% from future sales. At the moment I have 3 (#2,#3,#5) candidates for the team, who is ready for that conditions. At the moment I working on game-design document with some illustrations. And still searching for sponsors (have 1 and making des-doc for him). Hope to be 1st person too (but will be happy with some assistence).

Edited by Navi1982

I think, for about 2 years game will be done may be less. In the case of sponsorship from the publisher - need about $120 000 (for my country/region) and about 50% from future sales. At the moment I have 3 (#2,#3,#5) candidates for the team, who is ready for that conditions. At the moment I working on game-design document with some illustrations. And still searching for sponsors (have 1 and making des-doc for him). Hope to be 1st person too (but will be happy with some assistence).

Kickstart it? If you will provide with something nice I might back it.

Edited by silencer

I would be happy to participate in such a project. I think at least 5 people is needed in the team:

1. Сoncept designer and leader of the game - all conceptual ideas, game rules depend on this man. Programming and artistic skills is pleased. Also called game developer. And this man must be a good writer for scenarios. In ideal case - must be a project leader.

2. Art-designer with skills in some 2D and 3D graphical design programs (GDP).

3. Modeller with skills in 2D and 3D GDPs (obligatorily) and some programming skills is pleased.

4. Programmer OOP - with skills of interface programming, DB and experience with some general algorithms (maths, path finder, etc.)

5. Programmer for graphics 3D and 2D and experience with general algorithms (maths, path finder, etc.).

And some third party of works will be attached: Sounds, Musics, etc.

It is not strong description for team. But it is my vision for development such games. By the way, first 3 persons will be responsable for game visual look. Another 2 persons, in cooperation with 1st, will be responsable for game engine.

I genuinely hope you succeed - although partially because if you manage to actually make an X-Com game yourself, you'll look back at what you've posted in this thread and shake your head at how little you once knew about game development :)

That's not me criticising you or making a joke at your expense, by the way: you'll know what I mean if you succeed. Just be prepared for it to be much harder than you're currently expecting.

I have been reading deep into past forums posts. Seeing what the fans have and are doing to continue to upgrade, polish and work on this game. Then I see just how open the devs are, Chris responding in this thread, and its excellent.

Then I look at Mech Warrior Online, another passion of mine. Devs refusing to listen. Original founders leaving in droves. Maps costing 250,000 dollars to make. Fan ideas are ignored or offers of help spurned. So many broken promises and just endless big stompy robot battles.

Salutations devs. You may have being working from the indie angle. You may have had a wonky engine. There will always be issues.

But all that aside you made a fun good game that shall endure.

I have been reading deep into past forums posts. Seeing what the fans have and are doing to continue to upgrade, polish and work on this game. Then I see just how open the devs are, Chris responding in this thread, and its excellent.

Then I look at Mech Warrior Online, another passion of mine. Devs refusing to listen. Original founders leaving in droves. Maps costing 250,000 dollars to make. Fan ideas are ignored or offers of help spurned. So many broken promises and just endless big stompy robot battles.

Salutations devs. You may have being working from the indie angle. You may have had a wonky engine. There will always be issues.

But all that aside you made a fun good game that shall endure.

Don't forget the gold coloured mech unlocks that cost $500 of real cash.