Relaying Grenades

Hi all,

Just wondering if it possible to make a mod for Xenonauts where one is able to throw a grenade to a sqaud member if they are out of range of an alien they have spotted and then the squad member they have thrown the grenade to can then throw that grenade at the enemy. This was something that one could do when playing Xcom.

Grenade Relay

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Grenade_Relay

Edited by slipkid69
Update

Hi all,

Just wondering if it possible to make a mod for Xenonauts where one is able to throw a grenade to a sqaud member if they are out of range of an alien they have spotted and then the squad member they have thrown the grenade to can then throw that grenade at the enemy. This was something that one could do when playing Xcom.

;)

That was an exploit in the OG and the reason why it isn't possible in Xenonauts.

As for the grenades, why don't frag/alenium/plasma/fusion ones DO NOT explode after I throw them? They only do after I pass the turn. Why is that? Alien/flashbang/EMP/smoke one do explode during player's turn.

Not even talking about C4 here. This thing is utterly useless as it only explodes after aliens do their stuff and pass the turn to me. Why ? how do I fix these unfortunate issues?

As for the grenades, why don't frag/alenium/plasma/fusion ones DO NOT explode after I throw them? They only do after I pass the turn. Why is that? Alien/flashbang/EMP/smoke one do explode during player's turn.

Not even talking about C4 here. This thing is utterly useless as it only explodes after aliens do their stuff and pass the turn to me. Why ? how do I fix these unfortunate issues?

For grenades, I don't know why they trigger at the end of the turn, but you can probably change that by going into weaponsgc.xml and finding this line for the grenades you want to change:

<props range="20" hands="1" recoil="0" weight="1" isHeavy="0" clipSize="1" reloadAPCost="0" disableDamageScaling="1" explodeAtTurnEnd="1" />

Changing that last 1 into a 0 will most likely make them work like other grenades.

C4 though is supposed to be used to break open doors and walls etc, so that's why it works differently.

Grenades and explode at turn end because there were too many complaints about troops blowing themselves up with instant trigger grenades.
Yeah, it's much more sensible to give you a chance to run away on a mis-throw and there are a lot of them specially if you don't understand the cover "thing".

It`s not utterly useless at all. I still kill many Aliens despite the turn thing. However, it is a pain since often the Alien kills one or two of my men before the `nade blows. I did wonder, though, why flashbangs and smokes went off instantly but these don`t.

If it`s to avoid people killing their own men then I think that`s a little silly and perhaps listening a little too muc to whines. If I was here at the time I would have petitioned for it not to be removed and just learned to be carefully where I threw my grenade. I could certainly use the advanatge of a grenade blowing up an Alien before he killed another man!

Maybe make it optional? You can`t beat options! Hey how about a Timer like with large bombs? just have a 1,2,3 second option instead.

I dunno about grenades, but I kinda miss being able to throw equipment between the troops. I remember one instance that likley saved the lives of a few soldiers because I relayed a rocket launcher to my scout to take out a pair of cyberdiscs.

Yeah, I know hurling a loaded rocket launcher around isn't exactly realistic (or sane) but it's one of my fondest OG memories.

It`s not utterly useless at all. I still kill many Aliens despite the turn thing. However, it is a pain since often the Alien kills one or two of my men before the `nade blows. I did wonder, though, why flashbangs and smokes went off instantly but these don`t.

If it`s to avoid people killing their own men then I think that`s a little silly and perhaps listening a little too muc to whines. If I was here at the time I would have petitioned for it not to be removed and just learned to be carefully where I threw my grenade. I could certainly use the advanatge of a grenade blowing up an Alien before he killed another man!

Maybe make it optional? You can`t beat options! Hey how about a Timer like with large bombs? just have a 1,2,3 second option instead.

It is optional, simply alter the code line I mentioned.

You can't have options for everything in the game, it just gets too much.

Steave: it wouldn't be too hard, though. There is already code in place for when you click an item in-hand to put a little menu in the other hand - IE, the C4 bricks.

Two simple buttons: "Throw now" and "Cook." Actually, make that three buttons: "Throw now," "Cook," and "Throw unprimed."

"Throw Now" works as it does now, and also the same as using the quick grenade button to do it - it throws the grenade and uses the current default frag behavior. "Cook" makes it go off on impact, as with any other grenade, and "Throw Unprimed" throws the grenade with the pin still in, which you might use to make aliens take cover (if they're grenade-using enemies, at least,) priming them for a rush by your troops, or to pass the cold potato to someone further alone who desperately needs to skin a potato right now and doesn't have one. I may have taken that metaphor too far, but it should be intuitable.

I mean that even if there was no work at all involved with it you still can't have an option for everything for design reasons. There is always someone out there that wants this or that thing to work just slightly differently, and if you try to please everyone with options, navigating the options menu is gonna be harder and more complex than the game itself.

You give the options that make sense and most people would use, and then you let people mod it if they want more. Like I already said, doing so is a very simple matter of just switching a 1 for a 0.

Actually you will find that it is not an exploit as you claim it is part and parcel of the strategy of Xcom and that is just one of the many great little touches that made the Xcom originals deeply immersive and great fun to play.

Grenades are not the only things that can be relayed from squad member to squad member in Xcom and it is by no means an accident that this tactic can be utilized in Xcom.

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Grenade_Relay

Edited by slipkid69
update