"fatigue" after a mission / LUA script

Nibelung44

This might be only my problem, but I want to be forced to not only rely on the same individuals and want to have a 'broader base' of troopers to use. Sure, I'm putting all my eggs in the same basket here, but still, if some mechanisms like battle fatigue would incite me of using a pool of 20 soldiers and not the same 12 ones, that would be better.

Plus, I don't want to be able to chain 3 crash sites in a row. I want to do one, then consider if I ask for an airstrike or send my fatigued soldiers instead. More meaningful choice for me.

This might be only my problem, but I want to be forced to not only rely on the same individuals and want to have a 'broader base' of troopers to use. Sure, I'm putting all my eggs in the same basket here, but still, if some mechanisms like battle fatigue would incite me of using a pool of 20 soldiers and not the same 12 ones, that would be better.

Plus, I don't want to be able to chain 3 crash sites in a row. I want to do one, then consider if I ask for an airstrike or send my fatigued soldiers instead. More meaningful choice for me.

It is possibly a good way of encouraging having more soldiers and additional strike teams. Especially if you can't chain missions in the same flight, it would pressure the player into doing night missions or having an additional strike team.

Not necessarily, it wouldn't. Firstly, because it's rare (for me anyway) to use more than half the ammunition I take with me. And secondly because you could still exploit it by carrying twice as many clips/grenades as possible and just dumping them on the ground on turn 1.

Guess I just don't like being forced to only do single missions when the wave system appears designed to do the opposite.

All it encourages is the airstrike option for me.

Either the penalty is going to be large enough to have a negative impact on people who like to run multiple missions or it is meaningless and can safely be ignored in the vast majority of cases.

As you say it is rare for you to use more than half the ammunition you take so that would likely naturally limit you to two missions with an optional risky third mission.

You could exploit ammunition management in the same way you could exploit any other aspect of inventory management I guess.

That depends on how much free space your soldiers have and how much free weight.

It could also be difficult to do both at the same time.

Do you carry extra ammunition in case you need to do a second or third mission or do you carry that extra rocket launcher or machine gun?

Would this degradation in whatever stat is chosen only apply on a single flight or would it carry over between flights?

I am not dead set against the idea but I am also not convinced it does much good for the game.

Actually, I've been playing with a reduced inventory size close to Mikhail's Magnum-nauts recently and it makes quite a large difference. With non-replenishing ammo after a mission that might do what you want it to.

As for what it encourages you to do: well, in theory it would encourage you to have multiple teams. In practice, though, I agree it might just lead to air striking.

The amount you gain for taking an alien craft compared to air-strikes is peanuts. A few missions pay little compared to the expense of keeping another team, dropship and hangar, and possibly a vehicle, as well as the time and risk of playing the mission (sort of wish there was an auto-resolve option for the missions, aside from air-strikes). You could try rebalancing the economics so UFOs were worth more.