[V1.08] Jsleezy's Real Fighter Portrait Pack

Jsleezy

realFighter_copmlete_600x316.jpg

This mod was created to add a little realism and personality to the game. This is a replacer for all original portraits. Currently this is what it does:

- Adds more diversity to the soldier pool. Some nations can now pull from all soldiers portraits even the custom ones. 95% of the time vanilla only pulls the same 35 male portraits (out of a possible 130+!!!) over and over

- Replaces all male portraits

- Replaces all female portraits

- Adds gloves to a few hand images which color I couldn't match

- Adds 3 more "Afri" portraits duplicated from the custom files to add more variety

- Adds 10 more "Asi" portraits duplicated from the custom files to add more variety

- Slightly changes the distribution of nationalities in the soldier pool

glovesPreview.jpg

realFighter_strip.jpg

realFighterFemale_strip.jpg

Here is what the portraits look like in ground combat

realFighter_ui.jpg

OPTIONAL - I highly recommend changing the percentage of getting a female soldier from 35% to 20% as there are a whole lot less female portraits than male. To do this go to "game_config.xml" and change the line that says:

<femaleSoldierChance value="35" comment="The percent chance that a generated soldier is a female" />

to:

<femaleSoldierChance value="20" comment="The percent chance that a generated soldier is a female" />

Get it here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/2/?

------------------------------

Install Instructions:

1. Go to your Xenonauts assets folder (C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonXenonautsassets) and back up the following: Soldierimages (folder), Soldierimagesfemale (folder),gameconfig.xml, soldiernames.xml, and soldiernamesfemale.xml

2. Copy and paste soldiernames.xml, and soldiernamesfemale.xml inside the assets folder

3. For soldierimages folder open each folder separately (to be in the safe side) and replace all the files in its original counterpart. Please note that if you downloaded any of my armors you might not want to overwrite the armor files. If you do, then just download my armors again :)

4. Run the game and kill aliens with your new team.

------------------------------

Disclaimer: Please backup your files before you replace. The builds for the game change very often and I can't

predict what will happen. This mod is not compatible with anything that replaces the same files (unless you go around tweaking the xml files).

Edited by Jsleezy

Thank you! I was so hyped for this :)

So this is the final version (with the portraits that were missing), right?

Yes, that is correct. I meant to mention that somewhere in the post but must have missed it. I'm glad you guys are digging it as much as me.

I have Skitso's Femonauts mod. Will this conflict?

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own question. Definitely grabbing this and the armor mod, though. Seems to be a substantial improvement over the game's original art assets.

Edited by Larchus

Hello, thank you for this spectacular mode. Can you please upload it somewhere else that people have no access to nexus can download? Thank you.

Thank you! I think there is a bastard link somewhere from Strategy Informer that you can use to download.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/xenonauts/mod/53025.html

Disclaimer: This might not always be the most updated version as it was not uploaded by me. The link on the first post will always be the most recently updated.

I have Skitso's Femonauts mod. Will this conflict?

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own question. Definitely grabbing this and the armor mod, though. Seems to be a substantial improvement over the game's original art assets.

Unless something changed I think I heard about an issue where the female heads were floating a little high on his female basic armour...it might have changed by now I'm not sure.

Are you forcing any kickstarter portraits? My only other thought is as Silencer said; are you using my "soldiernames.xml" and "femalesoldiernames.xml" files?

If you did those things you could start a new game and see if the same thing happens. There is really no reason for this to happen if you're using my XML files.

Here is what you can do to unlock the soldier pool:

<Ethnicity name="afri" count="6" />   <Ethnicity name="asi" count="15" />   <Ethnicity name="med" count="8" />   <Ethnicity name="nor" count="20" />   <Ethnicity name="cust" count="100" />

You need to add that line of code at the "soldiernames.xml" file. I added the last ethnicity called "cust". This adds all the custom soldiers to be pulled at random like all the other portraits. So just copy this line of code and paste it with the other ethnicities in soldiernames.xml

<Ethnicity name="cust" count="100" />

Next, add this to every nation that you want to pull custom portraits:

<Ethnicity name="cust" chance="1" />

For my mod if it a country has a "Nor" AND a "Med" ethnicity together I add the new "cust" ethnicity as well. You can change the chance value to your liking. For example for America I set the chance to 10. Here is what is should look like

<Nation name="American" chance="10">

<Ethnicity name="nor" chance="1" />

<Ethnicity name="med" chance="1" />

<Ethnicity name="afri" chance="3" />

<Ethnicity name="cust" chance="10" />

Also, remember you have to do the same for the "femalesoldiernames.xml" file...I can't remember what the custom count for that is. Let me know if that was clear enough or you still need help setting it up.

Edited by Jsleezy

• 3 months later...

Hi Jsleezy, I cannot imagine playing without your mod so I have to ask: can you render the mod compatible with the XCE?

I've written about it here and as you can see there're 2 files in common that if I understood correctly should be rendered modular with XCE (and other mods)

Instructions should be here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11433-Documentation-Modular-mods-system (and in the general section of the XCE)...I also checked you mod with new armours and there're no common files with the XCE so we can simply copy paste the normal way.

Bit late in responding, but it is a lot of work to properly modularise Jsleezy work. It's not hard, it just takes ages to make sure everything is done properly and the only way you know it's done properly is testing. At the moment my main focus is on the guide I'm writing for the modular mod system and trying out llunak's latest CE release.

Damn.

Ok the only two files in common with xce are soldiernames.xml and soldiernamesfemale.xml, so I guess those are the ones to render compatible.

Then there is the optional change (see quote below), and I've yet to understand if I have to change the file under /xcebalance/ or /xcesettings/ (we talked about it here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12421-mod-compatibility?p=141396&viewfull=1#post141396

Boh I'll try to do it myself, but I doubt I'll manage.

OPTIONAL - I highly recommend changing the percentage of getting a female soldier from 35% to 20% as there are a whole lot less female portraits than male. To do this go to "game_config.xml" and change the line that says:

<femaleSoldierChance value="35" comment="The percent chance that a generated soldier is a female" />

to:

<femaleSoldierChance value="20" comment="The percent chance that a generated soldier is a female" />