Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.26

That is still not a testcase, I don't know what to do to reproduce the problem to see it. I need steps to reproduce.

Sorry, wasn't clear this is what you were asking for.

1) Install this mod: [ATTACH]5104[/ATTACH]

2) Load Xenonauts

3) Check the Xenopedia screen, under the weapons tab. If the mod is working, you will see an entry for the breaching charge. If it isn't, you won't (don't click it; I've forgotten to include the images so it will probably CTD).

4) Check the soldier equip screen. If the inventory size is smaller, the mod is working.

5) If they are not working (to confirm it isn't the files at fault), copy/paste the files in the downloaded mod into internal/scripts and repeat 2-4. They should be working this time.

You mean for the game (or X:CE rather) files? I've gotten that idea too. Is there anything else where mods might try to add new columns? I can't think of anything, in which case extending the stock mission files would be the simplest solution.

Yes, that's what I meant. So each UFO type would have a min and max for each mission, even if that UFO doesn't do those missions in vanilla.

F_Test.zip

F_Test.zip

I've just completed building a mod which is fully functional using the mod-loader. Since it might be useful to know that things are working as much as not working, here are the things it does:

- Adds additional entries to strings.xml

- Adds and changes entries in items.xml, vehicleweapons.xml and vehicleweapons_gc.xml

- Makes changes in manufactures.xml, and vehicles.xml

- Uses MODMERGEAPPEND: to add in additional commands in researches.xml

- Changes armour values in armours_gc.xml

- Adds in some additional images

- Adds in new unit animations (that's not entirely true - it adds new unit spectres directing the game towards existing animations, but if that works I think its fair to say the rest will as well)

To the best of my knowledge all of this is working fine. Had some trouble with vehicleweapons_gc for a while, but it turns out I was just being a muppet.

I still wonder how you people actually do that, because that has to be terribly tedious work (unless of course you don't bother and ship content based on obsolete files).

It takes time and it is tedious (However quite simple ) but we don't do what you wrote above .... this is really harsh.

About last part TD wrote and you didn't understand is this:

X:CE now tries to follow official game settings as closely as possible

I actually also wonder what this means.

Edited by Sentelin

As ufo contents format has had a slight change, how does the game handle old ufo content files using old format? I've tested that the game works with them and doesn't crash, but would like to be sure there isn't any hidden issues in rng, alien numbers or something...

Having an issue with the way the new ufocontents work. It won't seem to accept the new UFOs that I created.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82304502/Xenonauts/FTD.zip

Deleting the "assault carrier" and "dreadnought" files removes the CTD when pressing play, and it'll work when installed normally, however I want to keep the entire mod using the mod loader. Any help?

If it works when installed normally, I'd assume it's a bug/oversight in the mod loader.

My layman's guess is that, because it's a spreadsheet, it's trying to update/overwrite things in a file which doesn't exist and therefore it explodes.

Having an issue with the way the new ufocontents work. It won't seem to accept the new UFOs that I created.

There's a bug when loading spreadsheet XML files that do not have a matching file provided by the game. It'll be fixed for 0.27 (and there's no way around it other than adding the file directly to game files for 0.26). Note that the .zip is not a proper mod file, it has extra 4 directory levels, the launcher from X:CE should complain about it being invalid when installing using Modding Tools.

As ufo contents format has had a slight change, how does the game handle old ufo content files using old format? I've tested that the game works with them and doesn't crash, but would like to be sure there isn't any hidden issues in rng, alien numbers or something...

The game can load both formats (in case somebody slaps over files using the old format), but it won't merge them.

5) If they are not working (to confirm it isn't the files at fault), copy/paste the files in the downloaded mod into internal/scripts and repeat 2-4. They should be working this time.

I can see the problem now. Fixed for 0.27.

I've just completed building a mod which is fully functional using the mod-loader. Since it might be useful to know that things are working as much as not working, here are the things it does:

This is about Armoured Assault, right? It's good that it works for you.

I've had a look at the mod, and here are some comments:

- armours_gc.xml uses things like "<Front MODMERGE="replace">". That works, but is not optimal. What it does is that it replaces the game's <Front>, including all the children, with the mod's element. That currently works, because there's only the <Resistance> element as a child, but later on the game adds anything inside <Front>, your mod with delete it. Since the mod modifies the object, MODMERGE="update" is better there (and since it's implicit in case of non-duplicate tags that do not have both children and attributes, it can even be omitted). So ideally all those MODMERGE="replace" in armours_gc.xml should be removed, and there should be only those MODMERGEATTRIBUTE.

- strings.xml has an extra (1st) row that shouldn't be there

- vehicleweapons_gc.xml also uses some MODMERGE attributes that are either not really necessary, or even ideally shouldn't be there:

- e.g. VV.ROCKET again can possibly delete game content because of the "replace"; I would remove that and instead add MODMERGE="update" to <SingleShot> and <Ammo> (that's needed because they have both attributes and children); also values that are not changed (emptySound, GUIImage, GroundImage) could be not repeated in the mod's file in order to make it visible what the mod does and does not change
- e.g. VV.PULSELASER is similar to VV.ROCKET, but it changes more, so it'd need one more tag, specifically <SingleShot/> would need MODMERGE="delete" in order to delete the single shots
- new items such as VV.ALENIUMROCKET shouldn't need anything besides MODMERGE="insert" at the toplevel <Weapon>, all those MODMERGE="insert" in children should not be necessary because it's new, so insert is automatic; the same way MODMERGEATTRIBUTE is not needed because the new item is not trying to match anything existing

Here are the two XML files the way I'd do them : [ATTACH]5113[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5114[/ATTACH]

Please don't take this as criticism or nitpicking, I'm really glad you're testing this new system, I just kind of need to test it this way too, as I sometimes don't know if you did something because of a bug in there, misunderstanding something, or having a different opinion on the right way to do it.

armours_gc.xml.txt

vehicleweapons_gc.xml.txt

armours_gc.xml.txt

vehicleweapons_gc.xml.txt

Two questions:

- Has somebody tested already the release candidates? (IOW, was there any point in bothering with them, or should I have just released "final" version and hoped it works).

- Does somebody use the skiphiddenanimations setting?

@llunak: Thanks for this. While I managed to find stuff that works, I fully expected there to be better ways of doing it so it's useful to get feedback on it.

Regarding MODMERGEATTRIBUTE, I didn't realise it would auto-update in those cases. I figured that command was only to identify an element to be given further instructions through MODMERGE. So that's useful to know.

Regarding "update": yes, I'd either overlooked or forgotten about this when I was making the mod and I agree it would be better.

Regarding using "insert" only: when I try and add an entry using MODMERGE="insert" like in your suggested files, it doesn't work (this is in weapons_gc, but I assume the same would apply to vehicleweapons_gc too). It gives the following message:

"An element to insert already exists: Weapon"

That's why I'd done it differently. It turns out having MODMERGEATTRIBUTE="name" and MODMERGE="insert" on the first line works correctly, however, but I'm guessing that "insert" should be doing that implicitly by itself.

EDIT: I don't think I tested the release candidates (or if I did not much). That's not because I didn't want to, I just didn't have the time when they were released.

- Has somebody tested already the release candidates? (IOW, was there any point in bothering with them, or should I have just released "final" version and hoped it works).

I did, although not really hardcore testing... just continued on with a copy of my existing saves.

- Does somebody use the skiphiddenanimations setting?

I had no idea this was a thing, but I'm going to go try it right now!

In 0.25 there was separate Researches_lore for lore+ users. Is that XML compatible with XCE 0.26?

Please update mod installer. First I don't know that Load mod dropdown means? Is it mods that I have?

Second installing new mod should not freeze the Launcher and user should know what is going on.

Could you also replace that rearming takes place before refueling? I think it was done in vanilla. Or maybe is there option in configs to change that?

Edit 2:

Aliens are performing terror missions in countries that have stopped the funding. Wasn't that fixed somewhere in vanilla?

Edited by silencer

Hmm... finally bit the bullet and updated to 1.09.

Then I did the X:CE 0.26HF the mod launcher way.

Now my save games are kaput.

Oh well.

I also had a bunch of other mods, but I tried loading them up too. I guess one of them has not been updated yet, or something.

In case you care, here is what I had installed:

Lore+ (with researches.xml)

Skitso's Mega Map Pack

Minibar soldier roles

X:CE 0.25

Actually, now I have started a new game, I see the minibar soldier roles are not working, so maybe it is that one.

Ahhh Solver... solving the world's problems, one post at a time.

Thanks for that, figured out the fix. Almost like I understand what is going on around here.

I stuck the lore+ 1.08HF files in the mods/xce folder, except for the xenopedia one, which I put in assets. Even backed stuff up too.

Regular programmer type guy over here now!

I did give this release a try and after doing first ground mission, one soldier #3 disappeared from the Dropship. No one died during the mission, Casualty List is empty. I did play on Iron Man setting, therefore I have only a save game after the mission.

FAQ #341:

I did give this release a try and after doing first ground mission, one soldier #3 disappeared from the Dropship. No one died during the mission, Casualty List is empty. I did play on Iron Man setting, therefore I have only a save game after the mission.

A: The soldier is wounded in the medbay.

</crystalball>

Is anyone else getting a frozen "ground combat loading" screen when they attack an alien base?

I have cleaned up my install by verifying the game cache through steam.

I have got X:CE 0.26HF running, and all seems well. Ground combats are fine.

Here is a savegame:[ATTACH]5134[/ATTACH]

When the charlie arrives the ground combat starts to load, then stops. If I tab out of xenonauts, then back in, as it loads up the layers the ground combat UI looks a bit messed up with a heap of the "assets\soldierimages\face1" images along the top of the UI, and heaps of aliens spotted, but out of sight markers down the rh side of the screen. I tried deleting the face1 file, and it just put a bunch of blank squares in it's place.

I also have the following stuff loaded, but did not think they would effect this:

Khall's more portraits

Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map pack

Skitso's Alternate Rank Insignia

Ilunak's Minibar roles. Actually that one might be part of it, I guess.

This save game has had Lore+ in it before, but I have not re-loaded it since verifying my game cache.

new.sav

new.sav