Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.26

hi - new to using mods for this game and have some questions

i'm using the latest experimental branch from Steam, though am using a copy of the whole game in another folder, also only just downloaded 0.26 so assume its the latest version

1) when i run the mod the launcher starts BUT there is no "play" button and i get the error "Can't load image from file:assets/launcher/play_button.png:file does not exist" - which is odd as the file does exist

2) when other mods using XCE come out (i see several are being worked on) will you be able to use more than one of them - only from the install mods part of the launcher it seems you can only select 1 mod to load per game (i'm sure i'm missing something here) EDIT: Thinking about it more i assume that it just loads everything in the mod folder?

3) is the settings mod just for modders to use, can i as a player just ignore it?

thanks

Edited by Doctoxic

hi - new to using mods for this game and have some questions

i'm using the latest experimental branch from Steam, though am using a copy of the whole game in another folder, also only just downloaded 0.26 so assume its the latest version

1) when i run the mod the launcher starts BUT there is no "play" button and i get the error "Can't load image from file:assets/launcher/play_button.png:file does not exist" - which is odd as the file does exist

2) when other mods using XCE come out (i see several are being worked on) will you be able to use more than one of them - only from the install mods part of the launcher it seems you can only select 1 mod to load per game (i'm sure i'm missing something here) EDIT: Thinking about it more i assume that it just loads everything in the mod folder?

3) is the settings mod just for modders to use, can i as a player just ignore it?

thanks

1) You need to copy the game executable from the xce mod folder to the top Xenonauts folder (overwriting the vanilla executable). Then run the game from the same place you usually run it.

2) Yes, you'll be able to combine multiple mods (I was doing that fine with 0.25).

(Don't know about 3).

3) Looks like the settings mod does a few (likely optional) things: sets the mouse wheel to change camera levels instead of switching soldiers, sets up the air combat think chance to make air combat ai better, enables the display of radius with 2/3 radars when building bases and sets up some new key mappings (to replace the mouse wheel, and quicksave/load).

From that, I'd surmise it's for anyone, but probably ignorable if you don't care about those features.

1) You need to copy the game executable from the xce mod folder to the top Xenonauts folder (overwriting the vanilla executable). Then run the game from the same place you usually run it.

2) Yes, you'll be able to combine multiple mods (I was doing that fine with 0.25).

(Don't know about 3).

thanks for quick reply - user error on my part :( i had created a shortcut of the new exe and put that in the top directory - instead of overwriting the original exe

Updated to 0.26HF, which fixes all aliens in one mission being of the same type.

I'm getting a crash when i try and start the game

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: Xenonauts.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 53d205d5

Fault Module Name: Xenonauts.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 53d205d5

Exception Offset: 002e90f1

Exception Code: c0000417

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 472b

Additional Information 2: 472b602a60f31d3460ebaf77b67345ae

Additional Information 3: 1532

Additional Information 4: 1532995793904653bb09e2ee41e9bc56

@silencer: well, my job for this evening is to update and upload all my mods for version 0.26. So hopefully everything will be good for the weekend.

(I actually think all my mods should work with it already, but - for example - I have a 0.26 version of FitH which avoids overwriting any vanilla files other than submaps basically ready to go).

Please report anything that requires touching game files (or adding directly to game directories). The idea is that everything from one mod is contained in its mod directory.

From what I can tell, there isn't anything left that couldn't be done through the mod loader. Using the mod loader to deal with mapping assets, however, looks like its going to require a lot of effort.

Indeed, personally I think treating maps, submaps and spectres as binaries rather than as mergable files would be better. Indeed, I can't imagine maps/submaps being merged at all, and while I can think of a small number of occasions where you might want to merge something into a spectre, for me that flexibility is not worth the cost of having to add merging instructions to (potentially) hundreds of files.

(Unless I've misunderstood how mapping files would have to be dealt with. I'm assuming they'd work the same way as with the other non-spreadsheet xml files.)

(And unless there's an easy way to automate this.)

EDIT: Just looked at the mapping bits contained in the 0.26 download and actually it looks like they work like I want them to. Is that correct?

EDIT 2: Um, no, looks like I was wrong. The xce files seem to be a special case; I do need to do something with the map files.

Edited by kabill

Bug Report:

When the game loads, it creates a folder in assets/mods called 'internal' which contains a copy of all of the LUA scripts.

This may or may not be intentional. However, it seems to be overwriting script replacements on other mods. I've tried adding in a script both by overwriting the base file and in a mod file (which was given priority over 'internal' in case that mattered) and it wouldn't work. However, replacing the same script in the 'internal' mod folder itself created the desired changes.

EDIT: Also, psionicpowers_gc doesn't seem to load using the loader. I'm not getting any entries in the log file.

Edited by kabill

I'm not planning to modularize my mods in the near future (too much stuff to do, so little time). So old school installation only. Unless someone else wants to do it.

Updated mods coming. ETA, no idea. :)

The only thing that interests me is, if the files that Oppresive UI modifies, are modified by XCE. Nothing else. I can install old school no problem.

Question regarding the new UFOcontents files.

In the mod instructions, it says that the headers for the files need to match. Does mean that it's impossible to add in additional columns to xml spreadsheets through a mod? (If so, it's not possible to add in additional UFO missions as these are dealt with in the header.)

When the game loads, it creates a folder in assets/mods called 'internal' which contains a copy of all of the LUA scripts.

This may or may not be intentional. However, it seems to be overwriting script replacements on other mods. I've tried adding in a script both by overwriting the base file and in a mod file (which was given priority over 'internal' in case that mattered) and it wouldn't work. However, replacing the same script in the 'internal' mod folder itself created the desired changes.

That's intended. Lua scripts need pre-processing. The cached file in internal/ should be updated on game start if the script from the mod with the highest priority is newer.

EDIT: Also, psionicpowers_gc doesn't seem to load using the loader. I'm not getting any entries in the log file.

It should be loaded only when needed.

Question regarding the new UFOcontents files.

In the mod instructions, it says that the headers for the files need to match. Does mean that it's impossible to add in additional columns to xml spreadsheets through a mod? (If so, it's not possible to add in additional UFO missions as these are dealt with in the header.)

You cannot add new missions anyway, can you? The list should be hardcoded in the game. I don't see a case where the game would suddenly read new columns if they were added to the file.

Ilunak,

With all my respect about your hard work and dedication, that you know we appreciate a lot, I need to say that modular system is q nice idea but add a lot of complexity to modders... we have actually tons of work, believe me... to start seting up a mod with the modular system.

Our team decide for now stick to the conventional way, but please dont make mandatory the modular merging system.

About "Extraordinary petitions" and "Stick to the original rule set" what do you mean? No more "Lockresearch"? "Armor Boosts"? Any example?

If you didnt notice this new mechanics and additions make the MOD pack awesome...

I hope you comprehend better our perspective.

Thanks.

Indeed, personally I think treating maps, submaps and spectres as binaries rather than as mergable files would be better. Indeed, I can't imagine maps/submaps being merged at all, and while I can think of a small number of occasions where you might want to merge something into a spectre,

That probably depends on what exactly the mod does. If it adds new content, that shouldn't need any merging, so there just "replace" is ok. However if a mod modifies something, such as the Valkyrie fix mod you did, then it should not replace everything. I still remember the only time when I tried ECS (or maybe FitH) and it regressed walking around UFOs because it reverted fixes.

for me that flexibility is not worth the cost of having to add merging instructions to (potentially) hundreds of files.

I don't think it's going to be that large. If the mod modifies already existing files, the work of modifying them already needs to be done anyway, so modifying them in a way that merges rather than replaces is hardly extra work.

(Unless I've misunderstood how mapping files would have to be dealt with. I'm assuming they'd work the same way as with the other non-spreadsheet xml files.)

Yes.

(And unless there's an easy way to automate this.)

Maybe, if I get told what would need automating.

EDIT: Just looked at the mapping bits contained in the 0.26 download and actually it looks like they work like I want them to. Is that correct?

EDIT 2: Um, no, looks like I was wrong. The xce files seem to be a special case; I do need to do something with the map files.

All X:CE files automatically replace game files and never merge. They're special, because given the way they're created they already contain vanilla content and merging is done when developing them. They also shouldn't get behind.

You cannot add new missions anyway, can you? The list should be hardcoded in the game. I don't see a case where the game would suddenly read new columns if they were added to the file.

Not entirely new missions, new mission types for particular UFOs.

For example, by default a Light Scout only does Scout and Research missions. However, you can make it do other mission types too by adding it to the relevant AM_* files.

In addition to that, to give the Light Scout crews for those extra mission types, you need to add the relevant columns in the UFOcontents files for the Light Scout.

--

Re: Scripts: in which case it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried adding in a new _BaseBuilt script it won't load (in spite of the file being more recent, by last modified anyway).

--

Re: mapping. I'd expect adding new content to be much more likely than fixes. With that in mind it would make sense to me to make it easier to do the former than the latter.

As for the amount of work needed to update spectres, this is usually done in the submap editor as it's quicker; having to then open everything up in a text editor as well is doubling the amount of work. Furthermore - though I guess I'm being selfish here! - FitH modifes thousands of spectres (stupid ground tiles)

Edited by kabill

Ilunak,

With all my respect about your hard work and dedication, that you know we appreciate a lot, I need to say that modular system is q nice idea but add a lot of complexity to modders... we have actually tons of work, believe me... to start seting up a mod with the modular system.

It changes complexity. From something you already know to something you haven't learnt yet. That doesn't mean it adds it in total, in fact you may find out that it saves a lot of work eventually. For example, you shouldn't need to update your mod whenever a new vanilla/X:CE release is out. I still wonder how you people actually do that, because that has to be terribly tedious work (unless of course you don't bother and ship content based on obsolete files).

Our team decide for now stick to the conventional way, but please dont make mandatory the modular merging system.

People can still replace their game files (or X:CE files), it's just that some may decide not to.

About "Extraordinary petitions" and "Stick to the original rule set" what do you mean? No more "Lockresearch"? "Armor Boosts"? Any example?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Not entirely new missions, new mission types for particular UFOs.

For example, by default a Light Scout only does Scout and Research missions. However, you can make it do other mission types too by adding it to the relevant AM_* files.

I see. I'll think about that.

Re: Scripts: in which case it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried adding in a new _BaseBuilt script it won't load (in spite of the file being more recent, by last modified anyway).

Testcase?

Testcase?

Unlocking a research project (Researches.PlasmaExplosives) from the start of the game, and adding in a new Xenopedia entry. As I said, when I replaced the file in internal/scripts directly, the same changes worked fine.

EDIT: Regarding the UFOcontents files, would an easy solution not be simply to add in the columns for all the files, and just leave them blank for mission types that aren't used by that UFO?

Edited by kabill

Unlocking a research project (Researches.PlasmaExplosives) from the start of the game, and adding in a new Xenopedia entry. As I said, when I replaced the file in internal/scripts directly, the same changes worked fine.

That is still not a testcase, I don't know what to do to reproduce the problem to see it. I need steps to reproduce.

EDIT: Regarding the UFOcontents files, would an easy solution not be simply to add in the columns for all the files, and just leave them blank for mission types that aren't used by that UFO?

You mean for the game (or X:CE rather) files? I've gotten that idea too. Is there anything else where mods might try to add new columns? I can't think of anything, in which case extending the stock mission files would be the simplest solution.