Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.26

This is the release of X:Community Edition version 0.26.

Download:

X:CE 0.26HF2 : [ATTACH]5191[/ATTACH]

X:CE settings mod : [ATTACH]5091[/ATTACH]

Installation:

- In the game launcher, use "Install New Mod" in "Modding Tools" to install X:CE (and also the settings mod if wanted) from the downloaded mod .zip files.

- Exit the launcher.

- Copy assets/mods/xce/Xenonauts.exe to the toplevel game directory (or use a shortcut file, or anything that will launch the X:CE executable from there).

- Launch the X:CE executable and verify in the launcher that it is the correct version.

Notes:

- X:CE now tries to follow official game settings as closely as possible. Install the X:CE settings mod for recommended X:CE settings (for example, 2/3-radar ranges when building a base).

- This version uses the new modular mod system to load even X:CE itself. It is possible that loading of some assets is broken, in which case you can try the old mod installation method (overwriting game files), and report the problem.

Changes (from 0.25):

Features:

- improvements to air combat AI, mainly alien target selection and target leading

- most (broken) windows are now vaultable

- GC panel shows soldier nation's flag

- option to automatically save right after ending a turn (intended for bugreports)

- option to create a save game in format compatible with official releases, and X:CE saves use a different version to prevent loading by official releases

- option to disable showing suppression icon for aliens

- experimental option to reduce alien turn times

Fixes:

- synced fixes from up to version 1.09

- improvements and fixes for the new modular mod system

- fixed autoresolve crash with 3-ufo air superiority squadron

- reduce autoresolve chances on low combat fuel

- soldier's melee attack can attack props (and cannot attack through walls)

- fix soldier list sorting with renamed soldiers

- allow safely aborting a mission when using Valkyrie

- fixed a crash when base attack started

- fixed a crash when an airplane was being transferred to a base that's been destroyed

- properly display last mission for soldiers lost in a dropship crash

- fixed TU reserve tooltip to not incorrectly claim it is for reaction fire

- do not show damage/stun numbers, zombify and teleport animations in places that are not visible to soldiers

- cancelling retreat caused by low fuel correctly crash-lands the airplane after the air combat

Documentation:

Guide for modders - new features and variables.

Modular mod system.

Notes:

- If a game file, such as assets/gameconfig.xml, is modified by X:CE, then the game's file (including any modifications done to it) is ignored. This means that mods using the old style of replacing game's files may not work if X:CE itself is installed as a mod. This problem can be worked around by installing X:CE the old way too and replacing game's files by X:CE's files first, but the proper fix for this is converting mods to use the new modular system.

- This version contains an experimental change that reduces duration of alien turns. As it needs testing, it is disabled by default. Install [ATTACH]5089[/ATTACH] to enable it.

skiphiddenanimations.zip

xcesettings.zip

xce.zip

skiphiddenanimations.zip

xcesettings.zip

xce.zip

Edited by llunak

By the way, given that this is a release candidate (and especially given that it uses its own new code to host itself), it'd be useful not only to know about possible grave problems with it, but also to know that people have tested it and haven't found any serious problems.

Areas that could use testing in particular would be

- anything X:CE-specific (to check that the loading of X:CE assets works)

- ufo crews (assets/ufocontents/ format has been changed to be more mod-friendly)

- anything in the changes list

By the way, given that this is a release candidate (and especially given that it uses its own new code to host itself), it'd be useful not only to know about possible grave problems with it, but also to know that people have tested it and haven't found any serious problems.

Areas that could use testing in particular would be

- anything X:CE-specific (to check that the loading of X:CE assets works)

- ufo crews (assets/ufocontents/ format has been changed to be more mod-friendly)

- anything in the changes list

Can't promise to be able to do it before the weekend, but since I have a stack of mods using various bits and pieces from X:CE I'll give it a test when I can.

Can I check whether any of the xml files are *not* yet supposed to be functional with the mod-loader? E.g. is weapons_gc supposed to be working now, and moraleconfig_gc? It'll save me some time testing if I know there's things that definitely won't work.

Can I check whether any of the xml files are *not* yet supposed to be functional with the mod-loader? E.g. is weapons_gc supposed to be working now, and moraleconfig_gc? It'll save me some time testing if I know there's things that definitely won't work.

Everything is supposed to work.

Exe file fixed my soldier equip screen but now application hangs whenever explosion is about to happen in tactical combat(grenade, rocket, car).

I cannot reproduce this.

Is there a full list of all the changes implemented in "xcesettings" anywhere?

Well, yes, in the mod's files.

Getting a CTD even though I used a fresh install and followed the instructions.

Are you trying to load from a ground combat save? I had issues with that even after fresh install. I'm guessing because of the various other mods I had. Just ended up loading from a save right before ground combat deployment.

Getting a CTD even though I used a fresh install and followed the instructions.

I cannot reproduce. Also, how to write good bugreports.

Try using the CleanFolder.bat file in assets. It might not help, but I usually find that it cures issues to do with CTD on game load.

Does it? That's funny, all it does is delete Thumbs.db files, which the game should completely ignore.

Does it? That's funny, all it does is delete Thumbs.db files, which the game should completely ignore.

Yeah, has worked like a charm for me many times. Not sure why I have issues in the first place - it seems to be related to copy/pasting game files (e.g. when making a backup of the game or installing a mod), but I don't actually know for certain. But the .bat file sorts it out, regardless.

Bug Report:

When using the mod loader, I get a replicable CTD when attempting to add in items in weapons.xml on game load.

I've installed 0.26 using the mod installer and cut/pasted the executable as indicated in the install instructions. I then tried adding FitH in, using the same set of files and structure as worked with 0.25. This produced a CTD on game load.

To narrow down the issue, I removed all of the files except for modinfo from the FitH mod folder and added them in one at a time, checking the game each time. This indicated that it was weapons.xml which was the problem.

As an experiment, I tried putting that file in the xce mod folder instead of FitH and the game loaded fine. It was only when it was in the FitH folder that it would not load.

The modinfo log doesn't indicate anything useful. The last entry indicates that it's adding new items and then it stops (presumably when the crash happened). Everything else up to that point had loaded fine.

EDIT 4: Previous edits were wrong. It's happening with several files: items.xml, weapons.xml, aircrafts.xml, and aircraftweapons.xml. In all these tests, the game is supposed to add an additional item and it's that point at which it gets stuck.

EDIT 5: To confirm, I was able to get the mod to load with an items.xml file which contained a change to an existing asset rather than adding a new one.

Edited by kabill

EDIT 4: Previous edits were wrong. It's happening with several files: items.xml, weapons.xml, aircrafts.xml, and aircraftweapons.xml. In all these tests, the game is supposed to add an additional item and it's that point at which it gets stuck.

Hmm, yes. I've updated the download to include a fix for this, hopefully all is ok now.