[V1.09] Khall's Carbines/Shotguns + Extras Mod [V.1]

Khall

This mod adds the carbine weapon type back into the game to fill the gap between rifles and shotguns. Carbines use existing carbine assets (which are currently used for shotguns in vanilla), and changing the existing shotgun role to use new assets.

Carbines are lighter, shorter range versions of rifles, trading effectiveness at longer ranges for higher rate of fire and mobility. The old shotgun's 1.5x reaction modifier has been reassigned to carbines. Carbines use new sounds and current carbine sprites in ground combat.

Stats (brackets are rifle stats)Weight: 3kg (5kg)

Reload cost: 20TU (25TU)

Ammo: 20 (20)

Range: 15 (20)

Only 3 Aim modes: Snapshot TU 22% ACC 40% (Snapshot TU 28% ACC 45%)

Normal TU 30% ACC 70% (Normal TU 40% ACC 80%)

Burst TU 40% ACC 40% (Burst TU 55% ACC 45%)

Damage: 5/6 of equivalent rifle damage

Has 1.5x reaction modifier

Shotguns are largely the same except:

Pellets: 6 (from 3)

Damage per pellet: 3/5 of original damage

Weight: 4kg (from 3kg)

Has 1x reaction modifier (from 1.5x)

This means an overall increase in damage and reliability, at expense of 1.5x reaction modifier and slight increase in weight. Upgraded shotguns now use the new assets and sounds, using the equivalent rifle sprite in ground combat.

Regarding the new sounds, the carbines were made by modifying the sounds of the equivalent tier pistols (which also have an unused burst sound) to make them sound different than the pistols, more what shots from an automatic would sound like, but less powerful than rifles, so they sound unique. The upgraded shotguns's sounds consist of two components. A heavily modified version of an equivalent rifle shot, so it sounds more powerful, and a short sound similar to the "pump" of the ballistic shotgun. This was done by modifying and mixing in reload sounds, e.g. the plasma shotgun has a "latch" sound to simulate the plasma stream being cut off, and MAG has a charging up sound after it fires. This makes the shotguns have their own identity and feel powerful to use

Other changes:

•AK47 now replaces ballistic rifle, with modified sound and using the AK47 ground combat sprites

•M16_short is used for the ballistic carbine, with modified sound and using the default rifle ground combat sprites

•Incendiary grenades have been added, using modified art and projectiles of stun grenade

•New rocket projectiles for upgraded rockets

•New xenopedia images for each weapon tier

•Alien weapons now use different projectiles depending on type

Some images

ballisticweapons.jpg

laserweapons.jpg

plasmaweapons.jpg

magweapons.jpg

Let me know if there's any problems.

Credit to Lt_Parsons for creating the original shotgun images, of which I modified slightly.

V1.09 compatible

To install, download the mod, extract it to the assets folder and let it overwrite.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cxgz6teikzhsau/Khall%27s%20Carbine%2C%20Shotgun%20%2B%20extras%20mod.rar

I'll do a modular version for the CE edition once I get the time and figure out how to do it

ballisticweapons.jpg

laserweapons.jpg

plasmaweapons.jpg

magweapons.jpg

ballisticweapons.thumb.jpg.d72b97a690257

laserweapons.thumb.jpg.936d07ed782a17031

plasmaweapons.thumb.jpg.106b589d4e23400d

magweapons.thumb.jpg.74a382772b3b9f06443

Edited by Khall

I'm not entirely sure, but i think that while everything else should work, it won't retroactively unlock content on previously completed research projects.

E.g. If you have already researched lasers, you wont get access to the laser carbine, but when you research plasmas you will get access to the plasma carbine.

This shouldn't apply to the ballistic carbine and other stuff availiable in unlimited quantities though.

I think that will be the only issue with existing saved games, you could get around it (in the example above for instance) by changing the entry in manufactures for (e.g.) laser carbine to normal, instead of unlockonresearch.

Hey Khall, if you want I can go through and try to make it X:CE-compatible. All I need are the specific parts being modded.

Yeah, that would be great :), I haven't had a lot of free time recently to do all this. I've included in the download a "compatibility" text file, which should list all the changes to each file. I did that ages ago to help people merge this mod, glad its coming in useful

great mod, but i prefer the m16 to the ak47 for the rifle. is it possible for me to change that back?

Yeah, its very easy, in "items.xml" change entry "weapon.rifle" to unlimited from normal, and change entry "weapon.ak47" to normal from unlimited. That should work. The only minor thing is that the xenopedia image will still show the AK47.

I used the AK47 so that the carbine and rifle would look visually distinct from one another and so they would have separate sprites in ground combat, so you can instantly differentiate between them. Rather than them both being variants of the M16.

Let me know if there's any issues

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I would have to go through both mods and merge the changes to each file individually, which is a lot of work only to make it compatible with that one particular mod. Though I did include a text doc. with the mod listing the changes I made to each files, to make it easier for people to merge this themselves with their own mod combinations.

It'll be easier to combine them once I get round to converting it to the modular mod system, when I get the time.

Also feedback on the balance would be appreciated.

Ah thanks!

I'm having problems installing it, though I might be doing something wrong.

I had problems installing your file, so I looked to see why, and as far as I can tell the zip file isn't to have any toplevel dictionary, so I rezipped the files without it. I then go to the launcher, and click install mod and choose the zip file. I then get 2 errors:

error.JPG

error 2.JPG

And the mod only installs up to the 2nd error (projectiles/alenium_rocket)

I checked the permissions of the files with the example mods llunak did to see if there was any difference and there wasn't.

I'm still a little naïve about the modular system, but I don't see why it isn't installing

error 2.JPG

error.JPG

577e7d15ba841_error2.JPG.606f925943908fd

error.JPG.38c4da3801d6f43baa09afd0b31a7d

Try to put the "projectiles" folder in the mod to the actual projectiles folder.

I did that and got the same error with the xenopedia images so i did the same there as well. It said it installed correctly, but it CTDs when i try to start up. I'll keep playing around with it to figure it out

Edited by Khall

I tried installing it with the modding tools in the launcher and it said it installed fine, but I don't see the guns in game. Are they supposed to be researched? Should they be there from the beginning? Do I have to manually overwrite files?

Hi Khall, I like the look of your mod, but I do have a question: Are the shotguns still useable without the 1.5 reaction modifier? I usually have to get really close to get hits.

Does the six pellet change make the difference that this needs to up your hits from further than a few tiles away?

Those shotgun pics do look way better than the carbineish ones at the moment.

I found it quite balanced personally, the increased pellets means more reliable damage at all ranges (e.g. You have 6 chances for a pellet to hit at 20%, instead of 3), usually at least 1 pellet will hit even at medium range, and reducing pellet damage to 3/5 instead of 1/2 give each shot higher damage overall compared to vanilla.

I gave the 1.5x modifier to the carbine for balance between them. The carbine is easier to get close with, but even with burst shot, has lower overall damage than a shotgun blast, so there is a tradeoff.

How easy is it to go into the mod folders and add a reaction fire to the shotgun again? The shotgun is a very good weapon for protecting yourself from Reapers and I feel like even if it and the carbine had those, you'd have reasons to use both. A Carbine is a good "I want to give a soldier a primary weapon and a lot of other things" weapon, it's lighter and fires more often at the cost of damage and range, while the shotgun is a good breacher and room-clearing primary weapon.

How easy is it to change the values, and is it only just 1x or 1.5x?