The Drone Strike Package (for everything drone! Version 0.2)

Max_Caine

I like the one on the left for the "Smart" grenade design (because of the panels opening to show the sensors), although the left one is also pretty cool. Guess both could exist within the same mod-maybe one is used for Frag and the other for Plasma? Or maybe one is a "smart" grenade (various types available as the game goes on) and the one on the right is… dunno… maybe an experimental super-stun gas grenade (with wider dispersion range or a more powerful gas)?

While the one on the right is sleeker and hi tech, I prefer the one on the left as it looks as though the engineers have spent ages trying to get it to stay stable in flight - in the end having to have a more intricate/busy looking piece of equipment just to get it working.

While the one on the right is sleeker and hi tech, I prefer the one on the left as it looks as though the engineers have spent ages trying to get it to stay stable in flight - in the end having to have a more intricate/busy looking piece of equipment just to get it working.

To that end, perhaps the right one is an upgrade based on higher levels of drone research.

Anyway, here's a refinement of the high-tech one. I was directed to the CoD: Advanced Warfare trailers, an surprise surprise, they have smart grenades! So, added some sensors, and a programmable interface. I'd imagine the solider could set the weapon to various target settings: CROWD, PAINT, FURTHEST, NEAREST, etc.

Smart_grenade_sketch02_zpsb5830228.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. The mod is basically finished. It works. All it needs is testing and polishing. I've been phrasing and re-phrasing some of the Xenopedia entries for the DSP. Does this sound too savage to you?

The smartrifle is an laser rifle designed to improve target acquisition, enhancing solider reaction time, accuracy and reducing the amount of time needed to aim at a target.

Field trials of new weapons with your soliders is a tiresome buisness. Half of them can't hit a barn door and the other half grunt like the apes they they so recently evolved from when yet again they fail to comprehend the clear instructions I give them on weapon operation. Feeling sorry for them, I built this weapon so they don't have to engage their pea-like minds with all the fiddly little details involved in calculating the shot for my quite frankly revolutionary laser weapons.

The key element of the smartrifle is the integral target acquisition node, based upon the combat suite I ripped from light drones. Using sensor data provided by instruments attached to the rifle, the scope and a soft laser pointer, it automatically acquires enemy targets and calculates the shot, processing and compensating for 14 different variables, including temperature, local atmospheric disturbances, energy required to damage target and reflective surfaces. All the operator has to do is point and shoot where and when the weapon tells him to. The node will do it much faster and slighly more accurately than any human can... provided he stands still. Unfortunately the node needs a stable platform to gather data and perform its calculations. While it compensates for small arm and body movements, any kind of gross or rapid movement causes a system-wide upset as it tries to calculate while on the move. An operator can fire shortly after he has moved, but he will experience a massive accuracy penalty while the system re-calibrates.

Don't thank me Commander. I made this for my sanity as much as theirs. Just make sure they stay still when they use it, eh?

The aim of the smart grenade is to produce a manufacturable weapon which has a longer range, better accuracy and more bang than the freebie equivalent. The smart grenade required a hand-assisted launch, but after that it stabilises itself in flight and directs itself towards the assigned target. I'm thinking of increasing the weight and the AP cost to show this (the operator has to spend time programming the grenade). So, which one better emphasises "smart grenade" to you?

I didn't try out that mod yet, but the part above sounds so frigging awesome that I can't resist anymore -dl-ing now :)

If you could wait a day or so, I've been doing a lo tof playtesting and am going to make some changes over the next day or so. It's as compatible as the modular loading system lets it be - it's CE modular loading system only, and I haven't tried it out with other mods yet to see what happens.

okay, i'll wait a couple of days no problem, right now i have flu, so im barely in mood to play xD.

And sorry to ask, i know that teorically they should be compatible, but i tried XNT with FiTH and i need to delete a couple of xml files to made it work...so i dont want to do that again with "incopatible files" (for some strange reason im really paranoic about the compatibility between the ufo contents files >_<).

Posting over here to avoid spamming the release thread with discussion:

I notice in the xenopedia text that the smart grenade is supposed to be more accurate than other grenades. Does this translate into game stats? In my experience, I've not been able to alter the accuracy of grenades at all (it seems to always default to the STR score of the soldier regardless of what you set the accuracy value to in weapons_gc) but I'm wondering whether I managed to screw up my testing or if you found another way of doing it that I've missed.

• 1 year later...

Oh, I had done a lot more since I did that. Here's a link. I expanded it to add a complete suite of drone-themed weapons, had redone the aircraft, added two drone-themed ufos, 5 enemy drone variants and two drone-themed buildings. Still needs work - the buildings use placeholder graphics, and I need to make drone-themed maps as well as a complete playthrough to thoroughly test it and I just don't have the time to do any of it. But most of it works if you want to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...