New Face Mod needs Blank Face for Xenonauts Infantry Models

Lionheart2

Ok now this is my idea. instead of trying to make new faces for the game, which, unless you are a talented artist, may suck and look completely out of place, I had a thought. Why not take the component parts of the face (head shape, eyes, hair, facial hair, ears, nose, etc.) and have them as separate layers in a photoshop document or something similar. Then anyone can change out one nose for another, or change the tone of the characters skin to make him more hispanic, or asian, etc. quite easily.

As a test I have taken apart NoIDidnt's avatar face and have divided it into several different layers. So far it's looking good. Obviously since I am a photoshop noob it doesn't actually look good, but the idea looks do-able. And obvioulsy since I only have taken apart one face I cannot make new ones up out of it, but if someone with some know how likes the sound of this idea, then perhaps the community could compile a whole bunch of faces, and Chris et al. can take the best of the best of them?

thoughts?

For some reason managing attachments is not working so I can't put up the thing I worked on... Anyone have any thoughts? (It just says error 404)

Edited by anotherdevil

can you zip it AD? it probably doesnt like your exension or something?

No no it's not that, as soon as I click on manage attachments, the window pops up, and loads a 404 error page...

So I don't even get to try and attach the file.

Maybe this is linked to the two threads that I cannot seem to access, both of them induce 404 error pages too...

got bored of this, so hopefully this works:

http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/anotherdevil/?action=view&current=image.png

Ah good, so as far as I can tell everyone may now view NoIDidnt's face, all butchered up. Now my thoughts are since all the soldier faces are on the same angle we could mix and match parts to create new faces quite easily. Then, if you also knew how to change the colours of things so they looked good you might also be able to make the face you created African, or Asian, etc. or change the colour of the hair, etc.

Also I'm going to PM Chris to see if he can help us with this, as it may give him a whole lot more faces without having to pay someone to come up with new art work, just butcher up the old stuff =]

Edited by anotherdevil

Wow! nice job on that AD.

this reminded me about a cartoonist that i knew years ago that told me about a facial feature system he had learned.

if you could learn this system you could draw anyones face with just a glance.

he said there are only so many types of each feature of any face. *7 diff. noses, 5 diff. chins, 9 diff. eyes and so on*

from those numbers you can create any face.

this guy would look out into a croud and in 4 minutes hand me a picture that i could actually pick that person out of the crowd with, and once he started drawing he never looked back at the person.

seems like that would be an easy way to do faces for a game. just create those basic features then paste them together.

which is kind of what you are doing AD. You get an A+++ :D

the guy didnt even have to remember what someone looked like, all he saw was 3/6/4/1/8/2 and could draw them perfectly.

Edited by NoIdidnt

Well, I was going to keep quiet, but, I guess I can throw in if I feel well enough. I can do artwork and am pretty proficient with photoshop. Scripting on the other hand, not really my thing. If someone else wants to skript a system to get this working with interchangable face-parts for more randomized soldiers I could do the art assets using what we have now.

Thoughts?

Well if you could cut up the faces and give them back to Chris (in different layers) then he could give them to the community as a little challenge of "build your favourate soldier" kind of competition. Those that are best would make it into the game, and perhaps if he was feeling generous he'd put the face-makers name as a thank you too?

Perhaps you could cut up say two more faces from the file, and then you and I can play around with them and the one I have already done and see if this system will actually work, then we can go to Chris with it (and some working examples)

Edited by anotherdevil

Wow! nice job on that AD.

this reminded me about a cartoonist that i knew years ago that told me about a facial feature system he had learned.

if you could learn this system you could draw anyones face with just a glance.

he said there are only so many types of each feature of any face. *7 diff. noses, 5 diff. chins, 9 diff. eyes and so on*

from those numbers you can create any face.

this guy would look out into a croud and in 4 minutes hand me a picture that i could actually pick that person out of the crowd with, and once he started drawing he never looked back at the person.

seems like that would be an easy way to do faces for a game. just create those basic features then paste them together.

which is kind of what you are doing AD. You get an A+++ :D

the guy didnt even have to remember what someone looked like, all he saw was 3/6/4/1/8/2 and could draw them perfectly.

not sure people are getting what im saying in this post. it would meen that if someone actually new that facial feature system and was able to create it in useable layers you could actually paste together a very good likeness of yourself. :D

yes i realize how much work this would be but still would be cool to see some day.

Edited by NoIdidnt

If you look in assets/soldierimages/faces there's a master portraits photoshop file to play around with.You could get the different layers in there quite easily

Would someone be able to get this image and e-mail me it? I'm on a mac at the moment and have no access to my PC, so I can't find them myself...

Ok so here is another wee knock up. The angle of the uniform is wrong (Sorry I forget who's avatar I stole it off) but you can see how easy it is to transpose someone elses face in to a new uniform. It should be no different doing the same with parts of faces (I did have to alter the hair and right ear a little to fit it under the cap, but that's because of the angle of it all).

Welcome to the officers NoIDidnt!

http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/anotherdevil/?action=view&current=SirNoIDidnt.jpg