I downloaded Xenonauts last night (7/19/14) and I loved it for an hour. It's far and away the best XCom around, and I just played a bunch of Firaxis' Enemy Unknown. It was... disappointing.

Anyway, the corner text on launch is Xenonauts Release 1.07 25/06/2014

But I get one bug, and it's a big one. I get the white tiles everywhere in ground combat, it's unplayable, and it started with the second crash site. It looks like the other "white tile" posts on the forums.

I tested in 64 bit Windows 7 under VMWare emulation on a Retina MacBook Pro. I already play a bunch of games successfully in VMWare in Steam (Railroad Tycoon, Day of Defeat, Shadowrun Returns, Civilization V, GTA:SA), and a bunch of games from GOG (Jagged Alliance 2, Neverwinter Nights, Silent Storm gold) and I've never had a graphical issue! I doubt its the emulation causing this.

I've tried restarting from an earlier save many times but when I shoot down and then explore the second UFO crash site there is always this white terrain even in different parts of the world. Some scenery exists, but the ground is always white.

I've tried:

Alt-TABbing

Reloading

Full screen and windowed, both the game and VMWare emulation window

Higher resolution

Lower resolution

Quitting the white tile game often gives a C Runtime error window. Sometimes loading the savegame to test gives the same error and a crash. The area in the error window is black so I can't read it.

I went back to the first save, the first UFO crash, and it played but now my rocket explosions were a white square expanding and shrinking. And this was a combat I previously played through just fine!

I suspected a corrupt download but the MD5 sum is good.

Now I'm downloading the Mac WINE wrapped version, maybe it'll play better?

Hope you can take care of it it's a great game otherwise and I don't have access to another PC.

I downloaded the Mac version directly from the humble link (not Steam). It reports as 1.07, same as the Windows version I was using. I'm not emulating Windows, but running by double-clicking the Mac app package icon. After playing for a few hours this way I'm now on the third mission running glitch free (no white tiles at all) and the game is generally operating quite smoothly. I've tried playing at many resolutions up to 2880x1800(!) but the icons were too tiny. The interface is nicest at 1680x1050.

One thing I noticed that if the "Play in a Window" box is checked the game still runs fullscreen. That doesn't bother me, but you might want to know. You can also Command-Tab out of the game to do other things, but when you return to Xenonauts the menubar and dock stay visible.

Edited by XMAN

I suggest you to try this solution,

1. Go to this link and download the tileset

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11234-New-tile-atlases-for-testing%21

2. Extract the tile set in assets folder and rewrite

3. Go to assets folder in the game location, search for the command "cleanfolder.bat". Run this command.

4. Restart your game and check results.

Good luck!

If the updated tileset you linked is included in the 1.08 update in anyway, I'll just wait until it is available and try my Windows install at that time. In the meanwhile I'm going to do about 10 more missions on the Mac install to prove that it is OK that way. At least I have one stable install it seems.

After about 6 missions, no white squares BUT now I started to see a giant pixellated tile in the lower left corner, like a magnified tile. Best I can explain it looked like a map tile but not correlated to any particular one. Also some ground textures elsewhere were replaced with solid color squares. The big tile covered about 1/5 of the screen, and it started after I moved a soldier to the extreme left edge of the map during a Russian terror mission.

I played a few more turns after this and then the game crashed after a disc moved out of view, also to the left side of the map I think.

The error message was from WINE, "Xenonauts encountered an error and needs to close." It looked like a Windows dialog box on my Mac.

I just figured out the air combat, it's a lot of fun, but I can't do ground missions with this crashing so often.

@TacticalDragon: does your advice still apply even though my error is quite different than before, and on a different platform (Windows vs Mac)?

TRYING TO RENAME THREAD TO PROPER FORMAT [Vx (build number) - Ground Combat / Air Combat / Geoscape] Bug Name" BUT CAN'T SEEM TO DO IT. SORRY.

Edited by XMAN