I'll realise your map idea

Skitso

Hey,

This is your chance to get a map you've always wanted in the game. Everyone can post one idea of a map you'd like to have in the game and I'll choose the best (or more, depends on how many quality designs there are) and make it happen.

Tileset can be any of the crash site ones (desert, farm, middle east, arctic, industrial). You can either write your ideas or draw a sketch or better yet, both. Try to illustrate your ideas as detailed as possible - both general map layout and possible buildings etc. and it'll have better probability to get chosen. I'm not going to add custom props or anything, so vanilla assets only.

I'll reserve the right to alter any of the chosen ideas as I see fit.

You have till the end of this month. Get planning guys! :D

Edited by Skitso

Skyscraper office building in a city. The scout or light scout crashes into the 5th floor.... The majority of the map is the layout of the building's floors. You could take apart the UFO and scatter its components throughout the levels that the spacecraft created a hole in.

This would probably require you to make a lot more art assets than those improved tree stumps. ;)

Just sayin'

Hmmm. A golf course? You already have grass for the greens, higher grass for the roughs, water for water traps and sand for sand traps, which could break up the map in conjunction with treelines. All you'd need would be maybe a golf cart or two and one or two holes with flags sticking out of them

Shipdock?

But we are limited to desert, farm, middle east, arctic, industrial tiles, So to align with the game system will it become additional map for Terror site or it will become additional type for the industrial, but instead of containers, it become accessible small boats (Like small rooms for alien to hide)?

Hmm now it sounds like terror mission from Terror from the deep... :(

KevinHann: No, this is just for crash site map stuff and not a code change/ai behavior/mission type/assets mod requesting thread. All the info required is in the OP: you make a great sketch of a crash site map and if it's good enough, I'll do it. Simple as that.

Edited by Skitso

KevinHann: No, this is just for crash site map stuff and not a code change/ai behavior/mission type/assets mod requesting thread. All the info required is in the OP: you make a great sketch of a crash site map and if it's good enough, I'll do it. Simple as that.

Of course but is there any particular reason it wouldn't work without code changes or different AI behaviour since the current Terror missions pan out pretty much the same way anyway?

Of course but is there any particular reason it wouldn't work without code changes or different AI behaviour since the current Terror missions pan out pretty much the same way anyway?

I guess the best way to do this would be to design a map with the drop-zone in the middle and alien spawns all around the outside. Might be nightmarish, but would be very different to existing maps.

Just in generall, docks would be cool, tought they would need new props I think (?). I liked the scycraper idea too, if doable. In generall, smaller UFOs crashed in/next to bigger buildings, one idea would ba a shopping-mall.

You can have multilevel stuff, parking lots, little stores, wide areas, so on, and so on.

Hmm.. I wonder if arctic tileset would fit in Hadleys hope -themed compound... I've yet to map with arctic tileset so it's completely strange to me still.. :)

An option for an Antarctic/Arctic map is Outpost 31, from the 1982 Thing movie.

A map was put together for a Ting boardgame and there are lots of pics on the rest of the Outpost 31 site

what about something i ever wanted, a classic slums map, with a lot of old and scrappy shacks,garbage and stuff,i mean i dont think ALL THE UFOS WILL ALWAYS LAND IN THE INDUSTRIAL GOOD LOOKING side of the city,there should be ocassionaly crashing in the poor and rural parts of the city(or country). Think about something like Rio de Janeiro's Favelas, this would bring a blink of variation to industrial maps.

Also if IIRC there is a lot of props done that could be use into this idea, for example in the middle orient maps there are piles of garbage,the soviettown also have all the rusty wooden and zinc shacks i have in mind..the best think of this is that if you had look a favela..there is not ever a "logic" so you can make a totally RANDOM distribution without fear of looking "in-natural" or inlogic way :).

Edited by blackwolf

Not a single one good, comprehensive plan for a map yet. I'll quote myself here:

Try to illustrate your ideas as detailed as possible - both general map layout and possible buildings etc. and it'll have better probability to get chosen.

If there are good plans, I'll do multiple new quality maps for the community as my second half of summer holiday starts today. Get planning if you want new maps! :) Remember, only vanilla props!

Edited by Skitso

I'm really frustrated. I really like the idea and want to suggest something, but I can't actually think of some good ideas to suggest.

(Also, I can't think of a better way to sketch out the map than literally making it in the map editor!)

I presume you're ok with borrowing assets from other tilesets? I'm thinking a terror map might be a good type to look at, since there's not a lot of those and your map pack doesn't contain any extras. But it might be nice to throw in some stuff from the Industrial tileset too. Possibly something like a train station - might have a look to see if there's assets that might make that plausible.

(Also, I can't think of a better way to sketch out the map than literally making it in the map editor!)

Haha, no, something with paint or similar will do fine. :) And yeah, moving assets is fine.

...and these map ideas don't need to be anything epic or grand spectacle. Even a small nicely paced and well thought out "basic" maps are welcome. I just feel that after 50 maps done, all my own map layouts tend to end up feeling somewhat same-ish and wish for freshness and new ideas from the community.

Edited by Skitso

Ok, here's my submission: Warmart!

(Hope you'll excuse the very crude diagram)

Warmart.png

It's not very detailed, as I figured the actual detail would be better worked out while making the map (but I can add in some more detail later if you like the idea and want it).

It's a Town Terror map centred around a large supermarket/shopping centre. It's divided into three main sections:

1) Bottom section (road/petrol station). I like petrol stations; they're very OG. Something similar to your desert gas station would be fine here (I love that submap, by the way!). The drop-zone is down in this section down in the corner, allowing you to approach the shopping centre by moving through the car park (section 2) or going down the road.

2) Car park: this can be stocked with as many or as few cars as you think are appropriate and could have some randomisation if you like to give it some variety. Generally, this section is just intended to provide some cover for soldiers attempting to gain entry to the shopping centre.

3) The shopping centre. Ideally this will be where most of the fighting happens. There would be two main entrances, one to the north and one to the east. Additionally, there may be one or more back entrances around the outside of the building (I like the idea of there being an alleyway around the top and right side of the map to allow a flanking approach if the player wants).

In terms of its interior, a large section of it will be comprised of grocery aisles, making for some narrow close-quarters fighting. Other bits might be more open (e.g. a restaurant area, till-section etc. This mostly depends on available props as I can't remember exactly what there is). There would also be a second floor, more open than the first and which overlooks part of the ground floor with a balcony (because multi-level fighting is fun). What might be cool is a rooftop entrance as well, so that troops with flying armour can gain access more easily to the interior second floor.

Does that constitute a workable basic concept?

Warmart.png

Warmart.thumb.png.f3a829e4d5da6508ffb3b2