I'll realise your map idea

Skitso

haha, that's even better. :P

EDIT: uh, looking at silencers post at work computer, I didn't see the picture (was blocked) and thought it was a joke post. Now that I see it, yeah looks good. Thanks for input.

Edited by Skitso

You considered trying to make a terror map in a military facility using the submaps from the Xenonaut base? You'd need to modify them by deleting the double walls, but once you'd done that you should be able to make them slot together into a fixed layout and the existing civilians / local AI forces could also work fine with them.

Might be a very easy way of adding a whole new type of mission to the game, even if it works in an identical way to a normal terror site (i.e. find and kill the aliens).

EDIT - alternatively, you could use Aaron's new UFO tiles to try and create some alternative modular UFOs to the ones Kevin came up with but has not yet managed to get into the game. That would also add a lot to the game in my opinion.

Here's a concept I was thinking of doing myself, but have no time to do :(

It's a industrial map centred around a single large factory at the outskirts of a city, in a less urban area than a typical industrial map. The dropship would start at the bottom of the map, where you would have to cross a road, go through the outer perimeter, which will have crates,barrels, etc., stockpiled, and then into the factory itself. It should have quite a nice increasing progression in terms of cover and combat distance, where the aliens will usually be in a better position. The UFO will be on the other side of the factory, in a wooded area. Should maybe be a medium sized map

Here's a quick sketch:

Factory map concept.jpg

I haven't got the proportions of each area quite right, but you get the general idea.

Factory map concept.jpg

577e7d152b1ce_Factorymapconcept.jpg.f53a

Edited by Khall

EDIT - alternatively, you could use Aaron's new UFO tiles to try and create some alternative modular UFOs to the ones Kevin came up with but has not yet managed to get into the game. That would also add a lot to the game in my opinion.

I'd absolutely love to get them into the game if it was technically possible.

You considered trying to make a terror map in a military facility using the submaps from the Xenonaut base? You'd need to modify them by deleting the double walls, but once you'd done that you should be able to make them slot together into a fixed layout and the existing civilians / local AI forces could also work fine with them.

Might be a very easy way of adding a whole new type of mission to the game, even if it works in an identical way to a normal terror site (i.e. find and kill the aliens).

I'm definitely going to make some modular ufo's too. Have some great designs in my head already. :)

Edited by Skitso

Not so long ago I wanted to do my own maps but the (in my eyes) crappy editor repelled me, and I definitely don't want to learn and memorize all of the props and tiles. I just don't have the patience and time for this.

So Skitso, your offer to do maps suits me well. :)

I have a lot of map ideas but do only one here (as a starter *giggle*):

Type: Arctic or desert (it can be farmland too, but I would not prefer that)

Theme: A canyon with UFO and dropship at far ends. The canyon has many, MANY obstacles the soldiers/aliens have to get around or destroy to advance. It will be a tricky firefight with lots of natural protection.

The white area is the ground level. Trees and rocks - shallow, large, mesas, maybe small water ponds and so on - are the obstacles.

The light grey are the larger mesas you can land on with flying armor. Mesa walls are building the canyon.

Now it gets fuzzy for me, because I don't know if it is possible: Mesas on mesas?

So a second but set back wall of mesas to open the canyon further at second level (dark grey).

arctic or desert canyon.jpg

Feel free to change it like you see it will work (if at all).

arctic or desert canyon.jpg

577e7d153437b_arcticordesertcanyon.jpg.d

Ok, here's my submission: Warmart!

Very nice, but it sparked a question in my mind - is it possible to have a UFO crashland on the roof of a building? Because that's not something I've seen in-game, and it could be very cool.

zzz did some lovely aliens that I think have made it into a more recent mod and I've seen the weapons around here...

I played a terror mission with 20+ of zzz's aliens on it and a queen and it was great fun. To have the actual map would be great, and would also add a lot to industrial maps generally (possibly making decent use of the base facility assets too).

hmmpf...

Ok next one...

Type: Farm / City / Terror

Theme: Some Palace gardens or a Public Park like from Renaissance time

Some paved area and lots of garden with sandy walkways.

Stuff it with statues, low stone walls, potted plants, plants and flowers in ornamented grass fields, hedges (labyrinth?), fountains, some water ponds maybe and what else. I guess you get the idea.

In my minds eye there is an elevated area with broad stone stairs...but I guess you say again just "not possible".

palace gardens.jpg

palace gardens.jpg

577e7d1596554_palacegardens.jpg.cac6a0d5

I would like to see a map that focuses on mostly indoor fighting, with either the city or industrial tile set. A large building with several levels and a few large open spaces like an entryway forum. Maybe it should be a terror mission since you'd not need a place to put the alien UFO.

Ideas:

City: large business building

City: Mall

Industrial: Chemical processing/shipping facility

Skitso, how about an industrial map, based around concept of a large production factory (like tank production factory), captured and partially retrofitted by aliens to be a semi-alien-base with several sites for small ufo crafts (found inside alien base) and some alien radar equipment.

Or you can't use alien base props in this type of map?

Nice sketch. Unfortunately there's practically no suitable props for school available. Also, ufo spawns don't work that well when placed on southern map edge as most of their entrances are towards south.

Edited by Skitso

Okay, time is over and the winner is... Khall's rural factory map! Runner ups being Thothkins' Outpost 31 and kabill's shopping centre, that I will probably do as well later. Thanks to all who participated.

Edited by Skitso