Ah-ha! Shields! The early alien`s bane!

I was getting really frustrated at seeing my men get wiped out by Aliens even with my careful tactics, but then someone mentioned about using those riot shields. I ignored riot shields before because they were... riot shields. They just didn`t seem to be something you bought against Aliens.

Well just beat my 1st couple of missions with NO men lost, just by having a couple of guys lead with the riot shield! those shields do wear down, but hoo-boy, I would`ve never have considered shields to be this useful!

lol!

p.s. Love the little details like other nations shooting down a UFO and requesting your help to take out the crashlanded Aliens. I just wish the graphics could`ve been a little more glossy.

How many guys do you equip with shield if you don't mind me asking? I've also never used shields, but the more I read on them the more appealing they get. And what role do you give the soldiers with shields? Assault I assume?

I equipped two guys with the default shield and pistol (just select the shield discipline or ability). Everyone else were mostly rifles with one rpg and one MG.

The shield guys led the way. They were really useful in showing up the Aliens by taking the first shots, allowing my other men to kill them. Even the guys with shield got a couple of kills with their pistols. I lost no one.

The 2nd time I equipped 3 guys with shields which turned out even better, but now i`m building an armored scout vehicle since the shields won`t help forever. ;)

I wouldn`t take more than 3 shields or else you won`t be able to take much else.

How many guys do you equip with shield if you don't mind me asking? I've also never used shields, but the more I read on them the more appealing they get. And what role do you give the soldiers with shields? Assault I assume?

Normally, I only take 1 and use him for scouting, but early game before you have a big and accurate enough squad to reliably take out aliens from a distance anyway I've recently switched to 2 and put shotguns in their backpacks so I could drop the 2 assaults for an extra rifleman. They act as scouts for most of the game, and do the same for the first peek into the UFO (if they haven't opened the doors already to give me an idea of what's there) and then switch over to shotguns for breaching.

Im somewhat shocked by this thread...

I stopped using shields a while ago, and the game suddenly became easier...

Mostly due to the lack of random grenades been thrown at me from the unseen/unexpected.

Aliens hate shields and will throw nades at it at almost every possibility.

Not much you can do about an angry Sebilian who decides to charge at you and throw a nade.

Best case scenario you are left suppressed & somewhat injured with a baton staring death in the eyes and in dire need of someone else to get you out of the situation...

As I said, there is nothing you can do against this scenario so I rather be preemptive and not draw a huge target on my guys...

Flying scouts tho...

Thats an eye opener!

Will definitely try me some of that!

Actually... I've seen a lot of mentions here about grenades, how aliens throw them a lot and how they kill people.

The thing is - they never used grenades in any of my games. At all. I used shields a bit, tho, just not much and mostly before i got lasers.

Not a single nade thrown.

Actually... I've seen a lot of mentions here about grenades, how aliens throw them a lot and how they kill people.

The thing is - they never used grenades in any of my games. At all. I used shields a bit, tho, just not much and mostly before i got lasers.

Not a single nade thrown.

Grenades? i`ve not had the Aliens throw a single grenade either.:confused:

Maybe that happens later.

Im somewhat shocked by this thread...

I stopped using shields a while ago, and the game suddenly became easier...

Mostly due to the lack of random grenades been thrown at me from the unseen/unexpected.

Aliens hate shields and will throw nades at it at almost every possibility.

Not much you can do about an angry Sebilian who decides to charge at you and throw a nade.

Best case scenario you are left suppressed & somewhat injured with a baton staring death in the eyes and in dire need of someone else to get you out of the situation...

As I said, there is nothing you can do against this scenario so I rather be preemptive and not draw a huge target on my guys...

Flying scouts tho...

Thats an eye opener!

Will definitely try me some of that!

Interesting bit about grenading, i did in fact got grenaded a couple of times. Tough imho it still is worth it:

1-The grenades got fairly short range, so the aliens only nade you if you are close.

2-There is no overwatch grenading:), so the shields protect you still from alot of harm.

On other hand a flying scout with shield migth be the best of 2 worlds: tough and ungrenadable.

Well would you believe it? just after I wrote I`ve never been `naded, I continue my game and got hit twice by grenades on my shield people! It totally screwed up the mission, with a total loss of men and ended up in a nuclear strike on the city.

It always happens when you least expect it.

p.s. A nuclear strike? wow that`s harsh!

You mean a tactical nuke? Well, it must be a pretty low-yield one. And where's fun in that? What if some reaper escaped the blast radius? One should not take any chances and nuke the whole city.

Battlefield, tactical, same thing. This isn`t the Thing or a zombie plague that might rush from person to person so a battlefield nuke would be enough. The whole point would be in getting rid of the Aliens ability to fight fast but to still try and reduce civilian casualties. A full yield nuke would be callous as well as effect many other things such as the environment, other nation`s views, etc.

`Where`s the fun in what?` I`m not sure we`re on the same page here. Look, it`s just how I see it. See it how you want to.

Interesting bit about grenading, i did in fact got grenaded a couple of times. Tough imho it still is worth it:

1-The grenades got fairly short range, so the aliens only nade you if you are close.

2-There is no overwatch grenading:), so the shields protect you still from alot of harm.

On other hand a flying scout with shield migth be the best of 2 worlds: tough and ungrenadable.

In this game, Lizards are nothing but grenade throwing apes. I've had some groups eat two in a single turn. Last night, one lizard hurled one clear across a room to nail me. Even two troops next to each other will attract this.

ZF-

I always felt it odd that I felt safer having my shield guy drop his shield when he end's his turn near an enemy so he doesn't get grenaded. He's more likley to be missed/take less damage from being shot at! (oh he's still hella usefull charging into ufo's though!)

Side note: Are batton/shield really much better than Pistol/shields? Even when you get to plasma/MAG?