Considering how much people seem to like the air combat I feel like I must be doing something wrong. So far I have shot down 1 alien ship and lost like 5 aircraft. I didn't even notice the roll button until just recently. It helps, but I still struggle. I keep finding myself trailing closely behind an alien ship; too close to shoot it.

I turn left to engage, it turns right to try to circle around. I turn right to engage, it turns left to try to circle around. I literally went right off the grid trying to line up a shot. Finally, my ship ran out of gas and the game prompted me to return to base. When I clicked on ok the game froze and I had to close it.

Anyone have some tips? It can't be as hard as I'm making it. Is there more to it than just Space Bar = Pause, click Afterburner, Click Roll, click to select/de-select Armaments? Is there any way to slow down when you're tailing to create a firing lane? I tried to disengage (and then re-engage) to create a little distance, but I quickly found out that this doesn't work (as it did in Xcom).

if you need to make close turns turn off your afterburners.

typical scout battle- send 2 F-17s click both afterburners and make all weapons yellow but one missile,make it red.

keep a finger on the space bar and watch for the ufo to fire, if it does hit the space bare and roll your planes.

as soon as the three missiles hit the scout you have won the battle, usually with no damage to your planes.:)

Which aircraft are you sending out? the MiG-32 or the F-17? Are you only sending out 1 aircraft? are you aware that you can send up to 3 at once in a squadron? It might be a good idea to send out fewer crafts for the first UFOs so that they engage instead of run. (try 1-2 F-17s for a scout.. the MiG will probably destroy the scout so you dont get any crash site because it deals too much damage)

How did your aircraft get too close to fire? was it a MiG and you forgot to press the fire missiles button on the righthand side interface?

Which UFO are you encountering? Scout, fighter or corvette?

PS. the fighters will never leave crash sites DS.

to get a better understanding of the damage your weapons do zoom in so you can see the ufo damage as it happens, will help when you start fighting corvetts.

never use a MIG for scouts if you can help it, no roll and the weapons are far to strong.

Thanks for all of the tips! That was fast! For a game that hasn't "officially" released there must be some real traffic here. Glad to see it.

Anyway, I didn't even realize you could zoom in. I will definetely give that a try. I have tried both the Mig and the F17. Both have been destroyed a couple of times. The one time I killed something I think it was the Mig and the ship was completely destroyed. So far i think i have only seen Scouts. I'm not sure how i got too close to fire...I haven't changed the selection collors too much on the Missiles. I tried clicking on them, but I thought it was either selected or de-selected. It sounds like (based on your color descriptions) that there are more settings than that. Laslty, I wondered if you could send out more than one ship at a time but hadn't tried it yet. I'll go give that a try.

Thanks again!

yellow meens out of range but ready to fire.

green meens in range and ready to fire.

red meens will not fire.

i think thats rite. heh

remember to figure out how each missile/aircraft is used best and how many of what type weapon it takes to bring down ufos without destroying them.

you will need to know this when you start fighting 3 at a time. lol :D

Edited by NoIdidnt