Xenonauts - Level Editor, Source Code Release?

Hey, I'd be really interested in developing better modding tools.

Is the source code for the level editor is available anywhere?

If Not, is there documentation on the format of game content file?

If Not still, is there a 3rd-party MediaWiki where moders are actively hacking to derive said documentation?

If Not Still, then exit(withdissapointment=True);

Eww, That's not an open invitation. Thanks for the link, however I may just start my own hacking tools from scratch, something that really is open source.

I'm confused, what exactly is off-putting about the community coder program? You get access to the source code, work on whatever projects suit your fancy alongside a team of similar-minded people and get to distribute your creations to the community at large.

The issue is that this isn't open-source?

That is as good as it can get, really. Ideally, the game would be really open source, but this here is a commercial game that has partially opened its code to the community a couple of weeks after release - this is much more than most games ever have.

Just a heads up, I'm actually quite happy with the game and when/if *my opinions* sound harsh; Just remember that I complain because I care. I'm not here to become an argument.

Personally I'm most offput by the need to threaten potential enthusiasts, even if the threat is made with good intent.

> We're allowed to (and will) sue your ass in the UK if you break either of those rules

> That is as good as it can get

Yaaa proprietary software strikes again

I don't care enough to be a bureaucrat/lawyer as well as being a developer for free.

Proprietary software has a tendency to be underwhelming at best, in general. At least when something is posted open source, under an open license, thous who care can do something about it more than complain.

:) Thansk for the attention and all; and thanks for all your input. But I'm completely content with playing other games as well.

Proprietary software has a tendency to be underwhelming at best, in general. At least when something is posted open source, under an open license, thous who care can do something about it more than complain.

I suspect the openSSL team would disagree with you.

Given the tiny amount of games that are open-source (none of which have any kind of commercial success that I'm aware of), I'm not sure I understand your complain regarding 'proprietary software'.

I personally think the community coder program is awesome and I wish more indie devs would follow suit; I think it could vastly extend the lifetime of some games.

You don't have to be a bureacrat/lawyer, you just have to not be a dick.

In reply to erutan:

yes, I am not asking for the game sources to be released; Anything that is part of the actual game engine that needs to be used in the modding tools can be packages in a library as a binary form in any distribution. I was merely looking for moding tools that themselves can be moded.

I'm in general a major advocate of open source. I use a lot of it, I also took an active hand in this program, but I think that a general assertion of proprietary software being underwhelming is bullshit. There's plenty of poor proprietary software, plenty of great proprietary software. The license has little to do with quality.

It's exactly because of the entire situation in the software industry (and games industry in particular) that I appreciate Goldhawk's choices. Open source really isn't a big thing in commercial games. It's uncommon for a game to be open sourced even years after release. Xenonauts has not been open-sourced under an open license (which I would also have preferred!), but the developers have taken a huge, commendable step by this partial open sourcing.

Mind you, the whole "doing something other than complaining" part has actually been doing quite well here, the game has already improved notably in some areas :)

That's good, but comes back to the documentation thing; If someone did have some documentation links I'll edit them in to the OP so any information ascertained in this thread is consolidated (I'm really a fan of not-forums, but people really seem to like them >~>, Oh well; do the best I can with what I have)

Look in the modding subforum, that has the documentation that exists. Though for the most part the game relies on comments inside of XML files to explain the meanings of variables.

There's a Xenonauts wiki somewhere but that is way outdated and full of errors.