Help Me Understand Cover

I bought this game a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying it immensely. UFO: Enemy Unknown was a little before my time, but I loved XCom: Enemy Unknown and I like this game's retro aesthetic, so I thought I'd give it a try. Enjoying it so far.

One thing I don't like (or maybe just don't understand) about the game is the way cover works. Coming from Xcom, I was used to always, always, always trying to keep some cover between my men and the alien forces. But it seems like in Xenonauts cover is just a straight penalty to both parties, and if there's any sort of cover involved in a firefight (even a wooden picket fence) then my hit % never goes much higher than 30. I've adopted the tactic of either A) darting out of cover, firing, and moving back in to cover with remaining TU or B) walking right up to aliens and shooting them in the head at point-blank range. This all just feels terribly unrealistic. Is there something I'm missing here?

I'm using different aiming modes, yeah. I take aimed shots when I can, but it still seems rare to see anything above 30% hit chance or so if cover is involved in any way.

I use primarily assault rifles. My core squad is an assault guy with a shotgun (accuracy is not an issue there!), a heavy weapon guy, and a rotating squad is relatively expendable riflemen. Are laser weapons significantly more accurate? I'm just starting to play with those out in field, and they do seem to have a better chance of hitting. I'm wondering if that's just my imagination, though.

Edited by Bewidlerbeast

And when you say aiming modes you mean you right click on the target to switch around right? I've seen some trying to use the Tu reserve for that, or thinking it just meant single shot VS burst.

For cover, your soldiers will not be blocked by anything they're standing right next to, unless it's a 100% block.

Heavy weapons will always have pretty low chance to hit, but that's why it fires 10 bullets at a time.