(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

I already understand Caesans, Harridans etc. take more damage from ballistics and Sebilians, Vipers etc. take more damage from laser weapons. Not complaining about the game balance, I find them to be fine - in fact, sticking most of my squad to advanced ballistics at the moment :)

It still does not mean correct stats of all weapons should NOT be communicated. Do you want me to make a quick edit of the files so you guys could incorporate this into next patch of your mod, perhaps?

Edited by ventuswings
less angst

Yeah all weapon tool tips need to be written in strings.xml and so do you know do that in Excel,if you feel like it,don't do it with notepad ++ or any other text editor because you will most likely break "table settings" and it won't be possible to load with Excel (not to mention that it would take great effort in fixing that issue).

Understood; better remind myself to make a backup file in case of mess-up. Also wow, strings.xml is a mess. I should have sufficient free time since the deadline is several days away though.

Edit: Actually, can I just confirm that my xml reading is accurate?

On weapons_gc.xml, it says:

<Weapon name="weapon.LMGZephyr" bulletType="normal" emptySound="Empty Click 1">

<props range="18" hands="2" recoil="50" weight="5" isHeavy="0" clipSize="20" reloadAPCost="25" reloadSound="Weapon Ballistic Reload" strengthLimited="0" reactionModifier="0.8" />

<SingleShot sound="Weapon LMGZephyr Single" delay="0.6" suppressionValue="20" suppressionRadius="2">

<Set1 ap="24" accuracy="48" />

<Set2 ap="60" accuracy="96" />

</SingleShot>

<BurstFire ap="31" accuracy="37" sound="Weapon LMGZephyr Burst" delay="0.6" burstdelay="0.1" shotCount="4" suppressionValue="55" suppressionRadius="3" />

<GUIImage name="gui/weapons/M16.png"/>

<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/ballistic_rifle.png"/>

<Ammos>

<Ammo name="ammo.ballistic.rifle" type="kinetic" damage="39" stunDamage="20" mitigation="6">

<Projectile spectre="projectiles/bullet/bullet" speed="2500" showAfterDistance="60.0" />

<Impact spectre="particles/bulletplume/bulletplume"/>

but the Xenopedia entry says that Zephyr deals 33 nominal damage, 18 stun damage. Is Xenopedia entry outdated or am I reading the xml wrong? Wanted to confirm since it's clear I only have cursory knowledge on xml editing.

Edited by ventuswings

If it helps, it will be all the weapon.rifleDesc and the like entries. (They'll be obvious when you see them)

EDIT: I should add that I'm assuming the XNT folks are ok with this. I really don't have any discretion on the matter.

EDIT 2: Oh, missed Sentelin's response above.

@ventuswings: I assume the Xenopedia entry is outdated. Certainly the values you've pointed to there are the 'real' values the game uses.

Edited by kabill

I should post my mission statement then. My intention is to edit the information for all pre-existing vanilla weapons (for example, ballistic machine gun description still says 80% to fire) and if possible, just add numerical info to those missing any description such as Thunderbolt. I know numerical information are posted on Xenopedia but it can be bit of inconvenience to switch screens back and forth, never mind the fact that it bothers my whatever miniscule completionist impulse there is. Please inform me if you have some concerns though.

Also, I'll try to keep my technical questions out of thread as best as I can to avoid excessive cluttering.

Edited by ventuswings

i lost myself a bit xD, are you trying to make the weapon tooltips accord to they values in weapons/weapons_gc.xml?... or changing the weapons stats to be the same of the tooltips?. Because if you want to help then you should try to do the first option.

The real problem doing this is that the weapons stats change almost once per patch, with a little of tweaks and stuff, so all the tooltips saldy would become outdate soon enough(take for example the xenopedia entries). As they stated before thats the reason why they dont take the time with it (also because is tedious as hell xD). But if you want to try...then do it we will express gratittude for any help that any one could bring :).

my impression is UFO crews have to be reworked, too tough and often strange selection of crewmembers for particular ships. Any plans on this?

I'm currently doing the rework myself, though it goes slow... e.g. lightscout crew is now 5-7 members plus 1-2 eggs (depending on race and mission). I also changed scout and corvette, but haven't inspected bigger ships yet (maybe they are ok but I doubt).

if you are interested we can discuss this and maybe I help with implementation

Edited by podbelski

Honestly you are first person who complained about this and decided to change ufocontents.There weren't any plans but if make decision to change them we will do in the way it feels unique.

Take in consideration on AM missions and that they categorized as active and passive.Some of them are more frequent than others and so on..

Honestly you are first person who complained about this and decided to change ufocontents.There weren't any plans but if make decision to change them we will do in the way it feels unique.

my biggest complain so far is why medium ship (corvette) hosts almost the same quantity of aliens as the smallest scout? It's not good all around IMO, strange everyone was happy

Take in consideration on AM missions and that they categorized as active and passive.Some of them are more frequent than others and so on..

I'm afraid I don't understand what do you mean here. How can I know if the mission is active or passive?

Edited by podbelski

yes there are the same number of enemies on a corvette...but there is a officer among them, and always at leat two soldiers inside them, so they made up the numbers BY quality xD.

yep I know, and quality difference is a proper thing. Just look at the physical size of smallscout: it has to contain less aliens. I also think the gameplay becomes more friendly.

anyway, I was mostly wondering was something already done about the issue or is going to be done. Now I know I have to do everything myself))

Ugh, just realised: DON'T CHANGE THE UFOCONTENTS FILES RIGHT NOW!

The next XNT release will have those files structured completely differently in accordance with the XCE ufocontents files, so you'll only end up having to do all your work again. The new build should be out in a few days.

Something that's worth mentioning is that new way of formatting is way more clean than current so it will be easier for you to make modifications.Anyway regarding active and passive missions,now when I have given some though about this is not all that relevant to what you plan to do.

Thank you for the notification. I'll start my work after the release and post it as unofficial hotfix then. :)

ventuswings, please do it when the new patch comes out! I always miss the tooltips for the weapons. Also, do you plan to update Xenopedia weapons stats too? I mean, if you plan to make the tooltips, I think the Xenopedia is less important and vice versa. Of course having both of them would be better, but having at least one of them with the proper numbers already will be cool.

By the way I put my game on a hold until the new version comes out. Dunno if it will be save compatible so I will wait.

By the way I put my game on a hold until the new version comes out. Dunno if it will be save compatible so I will wait.

It's not. I checked with someone else's save previously. Although, actually, that might have been due to a bug that will be fixed before the release goes live. So I might need to check again.

Is not compatible pal :P.

Well is funny because we never made the tooltips and i m not sure, but if we have done it, i guess we should have redone them for the new modular system xDD.

Right now i am on vacation from collegue so that mean A LOT OF LAZY TIME >_<!. I'll try to help to make the tooltips from the weapons, i must use all the free time right now xD.

Also maybe helping with the translation to spanish (my brother love the game but his english is between 0 aaaand none,even my english is bad sometimes xDD).

Edited by blackwolf

Congrats on such a massive mod.

Played on Normal to the third month and wondering if any of you guys played through XCOM TFTD?

Asking because you seem to have replicated "The Genuine Lobstermen Experience" of TFTD, which I guess some people do like, but is also a reason why others consider original UFO to be great and TFTD to be a terrible-terrible game.

Given that (I think) original Xenonauts roughly follows UFO design decisions, maybe mention that the mod leans towards TFTD somewhere in the description, so that it'd be more clear from the start?

@mk Thanks for your kindly words...aswering your question...yes im a veteran from mars and R'lyeh in genius difficulty xD. But im mostly a beta tester, all the real work on the mod is made by the Devs xD.

And yep i remember how fustratting was see that your new beutifull baddass gauss weapons being useless againts lobstermen(specially in those f$"cking line cruiser terror missions xDD)

And yes as you stated this mod is made to be a tougher than vainilla(but not impossible...i play in veteran with a pseudo ironman mode). So i guess sometimes this could be a little shocking for some people because they come from vainilla where it was a balaced fight since the beggining,instead of the "holy crap we are doomned" experience of this mod..it start pretty difficult in the early (well you are fighting against a spacecraft army with really bad mood and worst intention for the earth after all....). But on the mid game you catch the ball and there is when the reaaal fun begings(PAYBACK TIME >:D!).

Im glad you like it..and you shall stay tuned because there is a upgrade on the way :D!. It will be alive Soonâ„¢.....

Edited by blackwolf

Yes this mod has crazy difficulty. I can call myself a veteran of many games (since ancient Jagged Alliance through many turn-base and real time strategies up to now) and Im losing here like a child.

I played once at normal-iron man with super seriousness and survived maybe 6 months or so. But I was being constantly beaten by Aliens. And in contrary to what Wolf said I consider mid game as the most difficult phase of the game. Mostly because your technology progress is slower than Aliens (lasers doesn't make any significant difference when Alien elite units are really elite). So as the result you cannot capture a Lander ship which lets you technologically behind even more.

Early game tho was for my easy enough to call it "grind phase". All scouts gives you almost-free experience and what is more important money.

To be good at this game you have to understand which weapon do what and basically just get used to game mechanics. For example Fire-thrower can kill small Viper in one shot but standing-on-2-legs-Viper (this better one but not the Big One) is completely resistant which can be surprising and bu this cost you half of the squad.

Also u have to understand when it is "safe" to use rockets or grenades (but this is Vanilla bug). And so on.

After CE0.28 and XNT 5.4 (which i heard brings no changes :[ ) I will try one more time cause that mod and game are epic.

Edited by radek