(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Hello,

great mod so far. I'm really enjoying the greater variety and difficulty.

However I'm getting a bug after researching the "base upgrade" tech.

I can't give my scientists and engineers new projects. I still have them,

but it seems that the upgraded laboratory/workshop doesn't offer any

workspace. I already tried rebuilding them but no success so far

Regards and keep up the amazing work.

Weird bug: Sometimes switching bases in the hangar tab, or going to the hangar on some bases crashes the game. After some trial and error it seems like it only happens with bases that are currently disassembling some ufo.

The actual type does not seem to matter. one of my crashing bases is disassembling a corvette, the other a cruiser.

Edit: After the Corvette one finished, I could get into their hangar without trouble.

Edited by Theoderich

I just started playing the game with the latest version of this mod. Overall I am amazed by the level of achievement the developers of this mod have made so far.

That said, I am sadly stuck due to this mod's too much difficulty. I feel aliens escalate their arsenal way too fast. I believe I was constantly progressing through the weapon technology, but by the time I obtained the improved ballistic weapons, the enemy deploys androids armed with heavy plasma weaponry, large flying saucers, deadly sniper rabbits, nasty teleporting lizards, and blue Giger aliens all over a map.

I can deal with snipers and teleporters with careful tactics, but the improved assault rifles and shotguns are almost useless against bullet-proof aliens (androids, saucers, queen Giger aliens), so a ground combat becomes killing spree; my soldiers are blown by explosive plasma bolts, swiss-cheezed by plasma bullets, and ripped apart by talons of big chaps.

I really like the idea of making some enemies bullet proof to some extent for increased challenge, but currently the enemy is unbeatable for me...it's really unfortunate because this mod adds so much fun to vanilla game...

BTW, I am also having one bug several others reported; that blue alien eggs laid on UFO floor make the game freeze. When I try to interact with them somewhat (shoot them and so on), the game freezes 100% and only resolution is ctrl+alt+del.

Weird bug: Sometimes switching bases in the hangar tab, or going to the hangar on some bases crashes the game. After some trial and error it seems like it only happens with bases that are currently disassembling some ufo.

The actual type does not seem to matter. one of my crashing bases is disassembling a corvette, the other a cruiser.

Edit: After the Corvette one finished, I could get into their hangar without trouble.

This is very similiar to CTD which happens when you click on garage while vehicle is sent somewhere or during vehicle weapon manufacture and I just can't figure it out for the life of me without proper debugger.It's like searching needle in a haystack

I still have them,

but it seems that the upgraded laboratory/workshop doesn't offer any

workspace. I already tried rebuilding them but no success so far

Regards and keep up the amazing work.

This is fixed weeks ago.Make sure that you download last patch.

It seems laser pistol has some kind of bug. 2 times I had odds to hit over 60% and first 4 shots was mised( I was thinking odd- but posible) 5th hit the target. Then i reached target in another GC and had 91% and same 4th mises 5th hit.

If somone can check whats the ptoblem (if any) there. Thanks.

Bug would be that pistol didn't fire at all,or that game CTD or that it fired once but didn't fire again,no sound and so on.

What you described has nothing to do with weapon but somewhat glitchy vanilla aim mechanics which sometimes go crazy on you ....

BTW, I am also having one bug several others reported; that blue alien eggs laid on UFO floor make the game freeze. When I try to interact with them somewhat (shoot them and so on), the game freezes 100% and only resolution is ctrl+alt+del.

It's been while since someone report this (or I missed recent report ?),however just re-apply entire mod again with last patch and use 1.09 and CE 0.25 not CE0.26 (I am aware that new hotfix has been uploaded but I am going to wait for 0.27).

As for "modulised" core package it's done but I will wait for CE 0. 27 to fix some critical "modular system" problems (ok they are not critical but they are pain in neck).For instance,mod launcher can't install new sound so you will have to overwrite relevant files manually.Then it doesn't apply art replacements only,old (vanilla) and whole new,for example that it didn't apply new art asset for shotgun but instead it used vanilla copy (so again you have to do it manually).

Then again there is problem with Scripts and Ufocontents .....also I enabled new flag icons on which Skitso and Solver are working but that's still work in progress so again it's better to wait for 0.27.

Edited by Sentelin

How feasible would it be to add in a new unit to assist with ground operations?

I have been enjoying the mod, but I noticed that the Vipers' and Gar ghouls' extremely high movement rate makes scouting nearly impossible during the beginning of the game. Maybe its just because I am still getting the hang of things, but most of the time I have to sit and wait for them to come to me.

One thought I had that could help alleviate this issue (again if adding a new unit would be within the realms of possibility), as well as opening up some fun new strategies would be to give the Xenonauts an attack dog. Something like a German Shepard K-9 unit, but trained to combat aliens.

The dog would be unable to use ranged weapons (obviously), and it would be even flimsier than the human soldiers, but it would make up for it by:

• Being able to quickly scout out the map.

•Being relatively hard to hit because of its small frame.

•Be capable of carrying things (like med packs or ammo) to help keep the Xenonauts supplied on the ground.

•If need be, it can attack enemy units. Nothing as damaging as a viper, but a series of rapid bite (melee) attacks could help keep an alien occupied if one of your soldiers was caught out in the open.

Maybe later technological advances would allow the Xenonauts to build dog shaped armor and/or add weapon hard points with computer controlled guns that would allow Scooby to shoot back at the alien invaders. This could culminate (maybe) with the Xenonauts being able to capture and 'train' (see control) the basic viper aliens to use as attack dogs.

Would something like that be possible?

That said, I am sadly stuck due to this mod's too much difficulty. I feel aliens escalate their arsenal way too fast. I believe I was constantly progressing through the weapon technology, but by the time I obtained the improved ballistic weapons, the enemy deploys androids armed with heavy plasma weaponry, large flying saucers, deadly sniper rabbits, nasty teleporting lizards, and blue Giger aliens all over a map.

I can deal with snipers and teleporters with careful tactics, but the improved assault rifles and shotguns are almost useless against bullet-proof aliens (androids, saucers, queen Giger aliens), so a ground combat becomes killing spree; my soldiers are blown by explosive plasma bolts, swiss-cheezed by plasma bullets, and ripped apart by talons of big chaps.

Use vehicles. They laugh at Vipers, since they are immune to melee attacks.

If you don't bring them, like me, use explosives, or RUN!

With a bit of tricky timing I once even managed to complete a mission despite an omega viper(the one spitting poison clouds) showing up and me having no lasers yet. I had one soldier lure it away from the ufo, then stormed that with the rest and held it for 5 turns. That was on a rather open desert map though, would probably not work in an urban environment.

The first delta I actually killed fell to several alenium grenades, lots of ballistics fire and a handfull of laser shots.

Others reported using traps of multible C4 ignited with a flamer once the big guy is in the middle of it.

They ARE hard to kill. At least till you get plasma weapons. A veteran soldier with a plasma carabine can kill a delta viper on his/her own. So can one yielding a plasma caster in a predator armour. So endure the hardness of the humble beginnings you WILL strike back.

As for Androns: Yeah, their durability makes them difficult to kill. But they are slow, and in contrast to most biological enemies don't regenerate health, so hit and run or sieging them is always an option.

The dog would be unable to use ranged weapons (obviously), and it would be even flimsier than the human soldiers, but it would make up for it by:

•Be capable of carrying things (like med packs or ammo) to help keep the Xenonauts supplied on the ground.

•If need be, it can attack enemy units. Nothing as damaging as a viper, but a series of rapid bite (melee) attacks could help keep an alien occupied if one of your soldiers was caught out in the open.

Maybe later technological advances would allow the Xenonauts to build dog shaped armor and/or add weapon hard points with computer controlled guns that would allow Scooby to shoot back at the alien invaders. This could culminate (maybe) with the Xenonauts being able to capture and 'train' (see control) the basic viper aliens to use as attack dogs.

Wow! nice addon would it be! Im afraid it would need serious programming, but who knows...

First thanks for the this great mod. I am using it as part of the slayer ultimate mod pack.

Question on Multi Ammo weapons. Are they working as they should? I built a couple. Then I gave a soldier a multi ammo rifle. 4 clips of standard ballistic ammo. and 3 clips of AP ammo.

I encountered androns so I was like ok time to get some AP into play. But it would not let me load said AP in midst of combat.

I know not to load the rockets into the weapon as that is a bug. But am I being dense in understanding the role of these weapons?

First thanks for the this great mod. I am using it as part of the slayer ultimate mod pack.

Question on Multi Ammo weapons. Are they working as they should? I built a couple. Then I gave a soldier a multi ammo rifle. 4 clips of standard ballistic ammo. and 3 clips of AP ammo.

I encountered androns so I was like ok time to get some AP into play. But it would not let me load said AP in midst of combat.

I know not to load the rockets into the weapon as that is a bug. But am I being dense in understanding the role of these weapons?

This forum does not recognize xenophobia based mods unless you specifically state it all replys assume you are running just xnt

something like....an ACTIVE c4 charge ;)?????. mwhahahaha >:3...and:

k9 units are trained to distract and inmobilize enemies...so it would be awesome if they attack a caesan(or something humanoid) and them inmediatly suppress it.
How feasible would it be to add in a new unit to assist with ground operations?

I have been enjoying the mod, but I noticed that the Vipers' and Gar ghouls' extremely high movement rate makes scouting nearly impossible during the beginning of the game. Maybe its just because I am still getting the hang of things, but most of the time I have to sit and wait for them to come to me.

One thought I had that could help alleviate this issue (again if adding a new unit would be within the realms of possibility), as well as opening up some fun new strategies would be to give the Xenonauts an attack dog. Something like a German Shepard K-9 unit, but trained to combat aliens.

omg i like so much this idea, is better than getting little bomb disarming robots,because you will feel worse when you lost one, sadly this would need a lot of code and artist working....and also:

Thanks for the great mods but I'm having problem with coyote armour. I couldn't find it in file and also didn't show up in game. Is there a way to fix it?

Its "impjackal" in files, how its not appear in game did u reserched it?

@Sentelin or any of devs

:) I was thinking that with pistol its vanila stuff- but realize it later after posting.

About Wolf Battle Armour- It is incrasing 3 stats Tu, Hp and Acc- but HP is incrased only in the value of "total" not "curent".

So when you equip soldier with 68 HP total his total HP goes to 78 - but not curent - and game will show that his Hp is now 87% out of 100%.

It happens to full HP soldier or the one that are not full HP and its confirmd on GC missions that value for HP is the same with or without this armour- in stats it is changed of course but red bar and value stays unchanged (not counting 2HP more that every soldier has anyway with any game armour)

If posible please pm me how to fix it if its easy to fix, thanks.

Not sure is it easy to fix if actualy posible to do this, becasue values can be changed in armours xml and if u change ACC or Tu its working fine but not HP.

Edited by Alewalek

Guys I have nice news.LordJulian has joined the team so we have new artist finally.While the rest of gang (including me) is doing everything but modding,he decided to start working on re-imagined some of weapon assets.For now only Thunderbolt got new make over.Reason is that we used borrowed assets and that had to change.Here is how it looks now:

xawchromehound_by_lordjulianofgales-d7uqj85.jpg

About Wolf Battle Armour- It is incrasing 3 stats Tu, Hp and Acc- but HP is incrased only in the value of "total" not "curent".

So when you equip soldier with 68 HP total his total HP goes to 78 - but not curent - and game will show that his Hp is now 87% out of 100%.

It happens to full HP soldier or the one that are not full HP and its confirmd on GC missions that value for HP is the same with or without this armour- in stats it is changed of course but red bar and value stays unchanged (not counting 2HP more that every soldier has anyway with any game armour)

This is intresting but that's beyond my reach.Since this is X:CE feature and Solver is responsible additional armor stats,let him now and maybe it will get fixed in next X:CE version.

xawchromehound_by_lordjulianofgales-d7uqj85.jpg

xawchromehound_by_lordjulianofgales-d7uq

Edited by Sentelin

Use vehicles. They laugh at Vipers, since they are immune to melee attacks.

If you don't bring them, like me, use explosives, or RUN!

With a bit of tricky timing I once even managed to complete a mission despite an omega viper(the one spitting poison clouds) showing up and me having no lasers yet. I had one soldier lure it away from the ufo, then stormed that with the rest and held it for 5 turns. That was on a rather open desert map though, would probably not work in an urban environment.

The first delta I actually killed fell to several alenium grenades, lots of ballistics fire and a handfull of laser shots.

Others reported using traps of multible C4 ignited with a flamer once the big guy is in the middle of it.

They ARE hard to kill. At least till you get plasma weapons. A veteran soldier with a plasma carabine can kill a delta viper on his/her own. So can one yielding a plasma caster in a predator armour. So endure the hardness of the humble beginnings you WILL strike back.

As for Androns: Yeah, their durability makes them difficult to kill. But they are slow, and in contrast to most biological enemies don't regenerate health, so hit and run or sieging them is always an option.

Thanks very much for the tips, that's encouraging.:D

I will try restarting the game from the beginning with your tips in mind.

It's been while since someone report this (or I missed recent report ?),however just re-apply entire mod again with last patch and use 1.09 and CE 0.25 not CE0.26 (I am aware that new hotfix has been uploaded but I am going to wait for 0.27).

Thanks for your response and I'm sorry I overlooked the hotfix posted on the bottom of the thread.

I reinstalled everything (XNT V5.31 Final Firebat, XNT V5.31 hotfix LAST, and the map packs) onto the latest vanilla installation.

I encountered eggs in UFO interior several times, but they haven't caused freeze so far. But now I'm having another freezing issue; the ground combat often freezes during alien's turn. Specifically, when I click the end turn button, the alien's turn starts. I can hear sounds of aliens' hidden activity for a while, but after that the sound stops and their turn never ends (so I must terminate the game from task manager).

Once this happens, reloading a save of the ground combat won't help. That particular combat always freezes during the same alien's turn. I'm not 100% sure but this issue appears to happen more during a mission with larger UFO (corvette, etc), or larger alien ground forces.

For me this is another show stopper because once this issue happens, that ground combat is ruined...:(

[Edit on Aug 4]

I've been playing the mod and confirmed that the egg freeze is still there. And the alien turn freeze seems to happen only in farm map. I've never experienced the alien turn freeze in urban map so far.

If I can prevent eggs from being spawned by editing some config files, could someone please tell me which one to edit? IMO those buggy eggs are ruining this great mod...and I want to get rid of that cheat-ish blue queen alien also...

Edited by mersan

hi & BIG thanks for the mod!

in GC, the weapon with partially used ammo is automatically reloaded for free upon mission end. How can this be changed?

in X-COM, the ammo clip was wasted even if just one bullet is spent. It's not great as well, but for me seems better (I can adjust cost/time for ammo manufacture to compensate)