(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Howdy, i just researched Base Upgrade and my workshops and labs upgraded to quantum albs and nanoworkshops.

Sounds great, however i cant assign research or production projects.

Anything that was actually being researched or under production is still there, however i cant start new ones once theyve finished.

Both research and production bases have 99/0 lab and workshop space, (yes up upped the lab and workshop space in the files)

Even changing the values for the quantumlab and nano workshops to include workspace (20) doesnt let me run any projects.

Anyoen got any ideas?

this was fixed with the hotfix 2 5.31 in the main thread,hope this help you :).

So I've got to battleships, managed to capture a Praetor, after dealing with what seemed like 20 Elite Caesans, and 4 officers of various ranks.

But I've yet to unlock any other aircraft besides the Apollo, MiG, & the Cheburaska.

Am I missing something? I've also not unlocked Sentinel or Predator armor, but I have MAG weaponry.

Well maybe yes you are missing something , this is because to unlock the new planes,you need to do following stuff:

FIRST at all you need to capture a corvette then you should get a research called "corvette protocol dissansembling". Do that and now you get information about the corvette data core(alien electronics and directional thrusthers this leading you to the SHRIKE DROPSHIP).

SECOND you need to capture ANOTHER corvette data core and dissamble it (aviable as a project in the workshop..also need a free hangar to dissamble the "ufo carcass"...up to there you should get more tecnologie for it ;)..also remember to do this with all the BIG UFOS,remember capture two of them always..the following ufo you dissemble is for the boneyard of pieces so you can safely sell the rest of your datacores :Db.

(if you had done the things above them pm me and i'll give you more information about it :))

I HOPE this should be helpfull and sorry for my bad english >_<!

Edited by blackwolf

Hi, i got an error with my Charlie-1, after mission when return to base, just fly over base,and when clik on it,see option menu, clik return to base,icon disappear and continue whitout ground.

Anybody can help me?...

Thanks and Greetings pals!!

Thanks for the reply blackwolf.

Cause i always end up tweeking my mods as much as possible i rarely update or look for updates till ive reached a point where theres a major update., or i run into a game changer/breaker.

What id would really like for this mod is instead of including every file in the mod (txt) for each hotfix/update (thereby overwriting the hours of gameplay tweeks and changes), giveme a list of changes and what files are changed, so i can mod my own version of this mod with the updates.

But wishes may as well be fishes and pigs, might one day fly.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Edited by aZmoDen

Just started a game using the Into The Darkness mod. Haven't even gotten into a fight and love all the extras so far.

Some notes:

Hovering over the AK47 in the inventory section doesn't divulge any information to me, instead the popup only reads 'Ballistic Rifle'. For some reason its magazine capacity is limited to 20 rounds, when AK magazines have always held 30. Also, the additional magazines button beside the rifle is the same as for the M16 rather than the characteristic banana mag.

You are also in dire need of an editor for the Xenopedia entries before you are arrested for wanton abuse of the common comma. ;)

Not sure it it supose to be like that but: first humans can shoot from alien weapon found during missions. Not sure about accuracy but close distance is ok to be able to shot and kill.

Second if it supose to be like that then game is mising soldiers holding that alien guns. Whenewer you give alien weapon to a soldier he looks like empty handed shoting from hands.

Tileset change (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11234-New-tile-atlases-for-testing) still doesn't get rid of the plasma cell bug for me, unfortunately. Hate to bring it up again, but the two times so far I have seen extra cells, there has been a phazer recovered (Scout, ~70 plasma cells, 1x phazer; Landingship, >500 cells, 2x phazer)... can't hurt to have a shotgun-like weapon have less ammo anyway, is what I am thinking (do the aliens even use up their ammo?)

Also, about researches:

So, I've been poking around researches.xml and found that I've been unable to unlock Researches.AdvancedLasers due to lacking Researches.AlienCombatPlasma, as none of the many, many Harridan and Andron warriors I have carefully killed, having seen them with all other weapons they can hold. In my last game on 5.23, I also didn't unlock this until I had plasma weaponry researched, a Predator suit already built, and a couple of Corsairs...

Anyway, I noticed that both Researches.ScimitarTank and Researches.PlasmaWeaponry also require Researches.AdvancedLasers, but somehow I've unlocked them, built them, and can now build a Plasma Caster without knowing how to build a Scatter Laser... Am I looking in the wrong place, or is something wrong here?

Just started a game using the Into The Darkness mod. Haven't even gotten into a fight and love all the extras so far.

Some notes:

Hovering over the AK47 in the inventory section doesn't divulge any information to me, instead the popup only reads 'Ballistic Rifle'. For some reason its magazine capacity is limited to 20 rounds, when AK magazines have always held 30. Also, the additional magazines button beside the rifle is the same as for the M16 rather than the characteristic banana mag.

I think the mod devs have stated, numerous times, that this is because the stats are constantly being worked on.

Personally I think they should add something like, "No Stats - WIP. Don't Ask. Thank You," would solve a lot of hassle.

do you mean having a "NO SOLDIER PRESENTS IN BASE?",well i also have this issue, it looks to be something when you dont have any soldier selected to your dropship(or only one,if you have more than one)

the only workaround i found is just going into the personnel page,and then assing at least one person to every dropship you have,this should make appear the soldier management screen.

This is a bug related to SOLVER X:CE ,we are working in a fix right now and we hope it get done soon :), thank you for your time posting your bugs,if you have any other please inform us and hope you keep enjoying the mod :D.

No, in the barracks screen. No soldiers appear to manage, and this is despite the fact that I do have soldiers and have them on the dropship currently.

I think that I will release update which will port mod to CE 0.26 but that won't happened until bugs and problems of X:CE 0.26 are solved,also we are not going to use "modular system".So it will happen maybe tomorrow but most likely on Sunday.

Almost all of bugs that have been reported are not produce able.I tried numerous times to produce for example bug:

No, in the barracks screen. No soldiers appear to manage, and this is despite the fact that I do have soldiers and have them on the dropship currently.

Some people get it,most don't and this is related to X:CE 0.25 (and most of other bugs are related to X:CE... ) so hopefully it's fixed in X:CE 0.26. However this also means that it will most likely break your saves so you would have to start new game.

Edited by Sentelin

Im a bit confused about Versions and Hotfixes. The Main Thread has a install instruction saying to install the game, patch it and install the XNT core, done.

But if i get it right, after that you will have to apply both Hotfixes, correct? And if so, is there a way to check what Version (with or without hotfix) you are playing with? If not, adding this would be a good idea as well as adding the Kind of Version / checksum to the main thread. Many bugs/ questions seem to be related due to outdated Versions with missing hotfix...

Does it normal - 1st light scout - i match sebillians + 2 zombies and 2 crysts.

in the end mission brief i've got TWO gargols corpses... ups !!!

and just to mention. there'is no vortex weapon texture (purple analog of alien rifle)/

And at 1.09 still bug - Nosoldiers present at this base happen.

What i do: i moved from charlie all soldiers and after last was unassigned - that happened

but soldier list - is ok. and if i assign the soldier from the list - bug solves.

(posted that to Chris 1.09 thread)

+ one thing about xenopaedia, just questioning - "know your enemy - caesian psion" - does it must be shown when dead psion courpse captured? may be it best to show it when alive psion captured?

Edited by Kirill Selivanov

Thanks for the reply blackwolf.

Cause i always end up tweeking my mods as much as possible i rarely update or look for updates till ive reached a point where theres a major update., or i run into a game changer/breaker.

What id would really like for this mod is instead of including every file in the mod (txt) for each hotfix/update (thereby overwriting the hours of gameplay tweeks and changes), giveme a list of changes and what files are changed, so i can mod my own version of this mod with the updates.

But wishes may as well be fishes and pigs, might one day fly.

Thanks again for your reply :)

I do the same kind of tweaks :)!...but giving you a explicit changelog is a little difficult because there are a lot of smalls changes that we dont write in the changelog. I recommend you to do what I do...just type in a txt your OWN changelog :D!.

Some notes:

You are also in dire need of an editor for the Xenopedia entries before you are arrested for wanton abuse of the common comma. ;)

Thank you! im glad you like it, but yeah this is the most harder and time consuming part of editing the numbers for the weapons,because we are allways tweaking,nerfing,buffing,changing all the weapons stats trying to achieve better balance,so is kind hard to have changing it everytime we are make a big change to the game..is annoying and very tedious,we are busy with other parts of the mods ATM so maybe in a near future we start to pay more attention to this(for now you can check the XENOPEDIA..there is plenty information about the new weapon,also hints and lore stuff from wich you can get a better idea n_n)

Not sure it it supose to be like that but: first humans can shoot from alien weapon found during missions. Not sure about accuracy but close distance is ok to be able to shot and kill.

Second if it supose to be like that then game is mising soldiers holding that alien guns. Whenewer you give alien weapon to a soldier he looks like empty handed shoting from hands.

-take the weapon from the the floor.

-see what side of gun they where shooting you.

-point over the alien folks.

-figured out what or where is the trigger. PULL it

-PROFIT! then repeat.

a weapon is a weapon no matter what, but you have to remember that you cant reload them and also have a BIG AIM penalty because they dont fit the human anatomy,this is something which was intended since vainilla and i doenst see nothing wrong with it xD.

I may be misspoken, but things like this should probably be shown somewhere as changes to the game.

I saw no mention of this, so it never occurred to me.

Time to go pillage for data cores.

. Actually...it does in the changelog :rolleyes:, also in the corvette xenopedia issue..but dont worry is fine just try to find them again and bring down that prrrrrreeecious cores >:)!

I think the mod devs have stated, numerous times, that this is because the stats are constantly being worked on.

Personally I think they should add something like, "No Stats - WIP. Don't Ask. Thank You," would solve a lot of hassle.

Precisely, thank you for the answer :D,by now is a little tedious doing it (is the most time taking part of the entire weapons creation stuff xD)

Does it normal - 1st light scout - i match sebillians + 2 zombies and 2 crysts.

in the end mission brief i've got TWO gargols corpses... ups !!!

and just to mention. there'is no vortex weapon texture (purple analog of alien rifle)/

And at 1.09 still bug - Nosoldiers present at this base happen.

What i do: i moved from charlie all soldiers and after last was unassigned - that happened

but soldier list - is ok. and if i assign the soldier from the list - bug solves.

(posted that to Chris 1.09 thread)

This is still a issue with the XCE. And i know that in the main thread they only said:

grab this mod,put in your folder then proceed to play until your eyes start to bleeding xD...but a lot of the big features this mod uses are using the XCE, so you might dont know you are using it...but....YES you are using it(at leas we are using it xD). So Thats the reason why we cant fix it right now,XCE is the amazing work of SOLVER he is a amazing coder,i surely want to help him but my coder skills are...just to a number...between ZERO and DUMB AS A ROCK :P.

OH and what do you mean with texture?.the "PLASMA BOLT" you mean? well thats because the vortex use the same shooting sprite but a totally diferent set of sounds and explosions o.O.. So you can completely know when you have a vortex gumball stuff flying at you xD.

Edited by blackwolf

[/i]

-take the weapon from the the floor.

-see what side of gun they where shooting you.

-point over the alien folks.

-figured out what or where is the trigger. PULL it

-PROFIT! then repeat.

a weapon is a weapon no matter what, but you have to remember that you cant reload them and also have a BIG AIM penalty because they dont fit the human anatomy,this is something which was intended since vainilla and i doenst see nothing wrong with it xD.

Me nether, question was: is it supose to be like that?, to make sure that second thing in post is relevant which means that some weapons are not visible in GC, I am sure about vortex gun, u can pick this up shoot and u see hands shooting.

Ok Alewalek, If you dont like it go play vanilla instead of spamming here with this senseless minor issues.

Im very dissappointed with the lack of deep feedback of the players, you only write here to criticize and harrass all the rule set.

I repeat IF YOU DONT LIKE IT go play vanilla o install senseless Add-Ons like Xenophobia (Thta is a unbalanced micro-nightmare).

Some time ago we have players that really want to contribute and share his clean opinion about importan or major features of the mod, right now this discussion forum become a endless painfull report of vanilla bugs or minor asthetics defects.

Right now Im about to close the developement of this mod.

Im sick (Litterally and figurative).

Ok Alewalek, If you dont like it go play vanilla instead of spamming here with this senseless minor issues.

Im very dissappointed with the lack of deep feedback of the players, you only write here to criticize and harrass all the rule set.

I repeat IF YOU DONT LIKE IT go play vanilla o install senseless Add-Ons like Xenophobia (Thta is a unbalanced micro-nightmare).

Some time ago we have players that really want to contribute and share his clean opinion about importan or major features of the mod, right now this discussion forum become a endless painfull report of vanilla bugs or minor asthetics defects.

Right now Im about to close the developement of this mod.

Im sick (Litterally and figurative).

In a game that heavily depends on luck (random number generators, controlling the % odds) rather than on direct control (FPS gameplay), the player that had previously played the vanilla game may find the mod outright unfair, rather than just brutally hard.

Its really a matter of perspective. If a player would have played XNT before the vanilla game, the effect would be the opposite and people would think vanilla gameplay is silly.

Personally, when I first got this mod, the difficulty felt very unfair, especially after my experience with the vanilla game. Even on easy difficulty, I got 4 guys shooting machineguns and shotguns at a single gargol on the first mission, and even with that combined firepower, did not kill it, resulting in two soldiers getting slapped to death by the single gargol.

The problem is ultimately in comparing vanilla with this mod. If a player will treat XNT as a seperate game, not comparing to vanilla in any way, only then there will be no complaints or feeling of unfairness. Otherwise you'll naturally be encountering more and more of the comments that made you sick. Its unavoidable really, althought it could help to post in big red letters to urge players to understand that they must not compare this mod with the vanilla game and furthermore know that the experience is going to be Ultra Difficult.

Stay strong and understand why people behave the way they do, see it from their perspective and use that knowledge to find a way to make them see your point of view more clearly.

He is not alone in this.It may not entirely depend on his decision because I feel same way (I am not literally sick but I am figuratively)

Its really a matter of perspective. If a player would have played XNT before the vanilla game, the effect would be the opposite and people would think vanilla gameplay is silly.

We stated countless times before that this mode is brutally hard and quite different from vanilla so I don't give a damn.People we were warned ... and we repeated ourselves until our throat got "sore" (figuratively speaking).

You should see our previous thread of older version which is locked now .Compare that thread and than this and you will see difference.It's more than two weeks and all we got is being overwhelmed by vanilla bug reports and endless "vanilla does that why XNT doesn't or why XNT does that when vanilla does this...".However do you know what really is killing our will to continue developing this mod ?Digging trough our files and changing rules that we set because someone feels like it.

This mod has it's philosophy and we tend to stick with it.TD is not willing to change perspective because of some players and I respect his decision.This mod has been under development for more than 3-4 months and it's build around TD's original idea so you could understand his frustration.He and rest of us spend a lot of time developing this mod and asked nothing else but to respect us and our goal.Some people did that most however didn't.

So let me summarize:

-Lack of feedback is one of the reasons.

-Read above what I already said

-Some of our team members are not active anymore and we don't know if they will come back

-Lack of time and will to go on.

Edited by Sentelin

Maybe a little break would reinvigorate you a bit. I just discovered the mod and I really enjoy it so far and to be honest I can't comment on much that hasn't been mentioned before so perhaps that's the reason why you don't get that much feedback anymore; the old stuff has been fixed or implemented already?

Myself I could only say that maybe an 'easier' option would be nice for those commanders that just can't bear losing soldiers at the start of the game ... although I've edited the game myself to lower the defences of the early vipers (got a bit frustrated when on the first few UFO's I got so many resist shots :) ) so with a little bit of effort the player can do it themselves. Although after powering through I'm enjoying the mod alot more.

You guys have done a lot of hotfixes & updates lately so it's understandable to get a bit burned out on it; especially since most of the reactions are of course criticisms but that's logicial I guess... I mean most people that enjoy a game just enjoy it and keep it to themselves ... when you are annoyed with something then you are much more eager to go online to complain so it might seem that nobody likes it. But I think there are plenty of people that really enjoy the mod and are very grateful for you work. Me included so it would be really sad to see it end.

TD,

This mod is awesome. Don't let the haters get you down. Keep up the good work - oh and, where are the dang Xenopedia entries for the new weapons stats???!? :P

Thats sense of humor ;)

Stay strong and understand why people behave the way they do, see it from their perspective and use that knowledge to find a way to make them see your point of view more clearly.

This is a feedback, right now we'r talking about something.

Unfair? In this mod you can build a heavy laser that destroy 3 walls in a row... Predator Armor make the soldiers near God-like entities... There are the possibility to make lot of money...

Hard? How is possible that some players can handle this game in Veteran/Ironman to begin to end.

Thank you for your feedback, and maybe is better put a big word that say "FORGET ABOUT VANILLA, HERE WE SELL CHOCOLATE"

I thank you sirs that have done and test this mod for this is great expansion, cannot go back to vanilla, so please HATERS BEGONE AND STAY IN YOUR CAVES !

Thanks TD and senteline for the efforts you have done :o

I'll begin to play again after the summer, it's to hot now :cool:

the no soldiers bug but have soldiers is easy to sort. i get it on every new base.

solution: soldiers page (hire/manage) simply assign anyone to helicopter at the base and the soldier loadout becomes available.

as i said i get this all the time and was annoying, i was firing and re-hiring spending loads of recruitment, until i tried the above and works a charm.

XNT guys: my first base i can't sell/demolish any building there. i can however sell buildings from my other bases. is this intentional?

P.S. Game difficulty compared to vanilla is insane, first aliens you see will be damn near impossible to kill.

i was a big complainer about this, but playing the game(yes game as its more a new game than mod) more i have discovered various ways to tackle them. i can still only play on normal. :P but im getting better at it and love this mod more and more.

i just hate the fact aliens can shoot through walls and extreme angles, but when i try to return fire i get its 100% blocked. meh you can't have everything. major respect and praise to the team from me.

TD. If you became ill - take rest emediatly. No time for 1/2 life. Countrmeres must be set.

ps. insane - is wonderful! better to feel than veteran for me.

just to tell about zombies and other - tested them for some more and... now i understand your and Sentelin and other devs opinion to make them less countered by reaction fire. Now they become really good enemyies, that "workload" all squard alike. For now they aren't a bulletmeat and for any case - they are now a real and good support for sebills.

question - maybe there is some point,but i feel that progression of soldier experience was downed for a little. i got for no no one +1 acc gained even if killed 1-2 aliens, or reflexes of tu. Its a planned downspeed or not?

heavy plasma boo-oo-o-o-om is frightening.

zombies are fast and frightenning

minor vipers are even less frightening than zombies-)))

3 gargols dead in light scout... FRIGHTENING like asshell... wonderfull thatthey are dead... just even if its bug, no way... 3... its numbers make me tremble-)))

with great fear waiting for corvete challenge...

is some cases got a one time bug: going to the land battle - when it loaded from the geoscape - its music doesn't ended. So i hear 2 melodies - land and geo simultaniously. Tryed to repeat that bug - but can't. Just mention that something could be there so-so.

play:

XNT 5.31hf2 with community 0.25hf2

kabills maps and fire in the hole tiles+maps

skitso maps, femonauts, insignia ranks

no unsolvable problems!

Unfair? In this mod you can build a heavy laser that destroy 3 walls in a row... Predator Armor make the soldiers near God-like entities... There are the possibility to make lot of money...

Hard? How is possible that some players can handle this game in Veteran/Ironman to begin to end.

Thank you for your feedback, and maybe is better put a big word that say "FORGET ABOUT VANILLA, HERE WE SELL CHOCOLATE"

Its mostly the beginning that feels unfair, due to the first light scout UFO spawning 6 aliens with heavy weapons and advanced types. Also you start with only 6 soldiers and unless you leave the crashsite be, it'll take a while before the soldiers arrive to complete the full 8-man squad to take on the mission.

Also some aliens can resist shots a lot. Combine this with the poor accuracy starting stats of soldiers, most shots end up being misses or resists, making it feel like I should just forget guns and only equip grenades and C4. :P

This first impression is what freaks out most new players and send them here to complain.

A new player has no knowledge of the advanced weapons and systems the mod will offer down the line, expecting rest of the game to be this hard as described above.

I want to stress that I feel this mod is excellent and well done. The problem lies entirely with the mindset of the player who just beat xenonauts vanilla for the first time and uses that as a reference to compare the mod when they first play it. You've done right in sticking to your values and your balance is the one that is correct, so stick with it.

Its the player that is at fault here, not the mod. Its just very natural for them to react this way given the experience and transition from vanilla to XNT.

"FORGET ABOUT VANILLA, HERE WE SELL CHOCOLATE"

I like that :D