(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Yes, but all games are more or less made this why. Engine is a framework which provides a general use core functionalists like rendering 2d, 3d graphics, collision detection, animation, sound and so on. And can be reused for many different games.

Sometimes teams writes their own engines, sometimes they use someone's engines. In this case, many many years ago, Chris decided to use a bad engine that further brought a loooot of problems.

All this is decribed in Developer Diary if you are intrested: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11603-Development-Diary-Post-Mortem

Ok, found the problem.

There's a new variable in XCE which allows the range of the short-range-to-hit bonus to be modified. Only, it's broken such that changing the value of the variable only affects the displayed to-hit chance rather than the actual to-hit roll. It's something I found and reported a while ago with XCE.

Until it's fixed, I recommend going into config.xml and changing the <ShortRangeHitBonusMinDistance> value from 8 to 5 so it shows the correct calculation in game.

EDIT: Thanks to Solver, this will be fixed in XCE 0.28

Edited by kabill

Typo in researches.xml - Landing craft Disassembly protocol Xenopedia info is empty after research.

In Researches.AlienLandingCraftDatacoreDsb is typo in UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienLandingCraftDatacoreDSB" ); need to be correct to UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienLandingCraftDatacoreDsb" );

This looks like a cool mod. Some things I'd like to know:

1) I hear there's going to be a new version soon. Can I ask if it's going to be very soon or not? Becasuse I'd like to know if I should wait or not before trying out XNT.

2) Is XNT compatible with the Community Edition?

3) In the first post it's recommended to install the Fire in the Hole mod, and to pay special attention to it's install notes, yet the link given goes to an old thread.

In the new FitH thread there's no mention of special XNT-related instructions.

So, do I (as stated in the OP) just get the vanilla FitH and extract only the tiles and map folders?

4) If the answer to 2) is yes, do I still go for the vanilla version of FitH, or do I use the X:CE one?

Thanks to whomever answers.

1) I think TD is supposed to be doing some balance changes with XNT. When they're done, new version will be out. Old saves won't be compatible with the new version, so it might be a waste of time starting a new game now.

2) XNT ships with the community edition mod and the new version of XNT will be fully modularised.

3) I suspect that, with FitH and XNT both being fully modularised now (when the new XNT is released), that you could probably just install them both and they'd work fine together without doing anything complicated. Although XNT should probably be given the higher priority (hmm, there's something small I might change in XNT which will help with this).

4) Use the XCE version of FitH.

Kabill, XNT team

Getting a strange lock up bug when trying to enter a small UFO to finish the mission. Game will will lock forcing me to task manager close the game.

I installed a new copy of xenonauts and patched.

I then installed the latest xce and xce settings. Moved the exe out to the main so it could be used as the launcher.

Installed firebat.

Installed the map packs

Installed fire in the hole CE edition as per instructions maps and tiles only.

Other than this lock up everything was working fine. Not sure why its doing this but if it helps improve the mods :)

ground 6.sav

ground 6.sav

ground 6.sav

Getting a strange lock up bug when trying to enter a small UFO to finish the mission. Game will will lock forcing me to task manager close the game.

Actually, I forgot to report this one, and I guess it might be ubiquitous, but I found that such lock-up happens to me a lot with small UFO with Vipers or Gorgols inside - they get "reaction shot" from a distance, and AI can't seem to decide what to do.

Simple "fix" I found is a) save before entering small UFOs b) liberal use of explosives to make sure one shot = one kill c) super-buff reaction-proof peoples d) first go point-blank to viper then fire, it will retaliate (bite you) on reaction instead of locking the game up.

Kabill, XNT team

I installed a new copy of xenonauts and patched.

I then installed the latest xce and xce settings. Moved the exe out to the main so it could be used as the launcher.

Installed firebat.

Installed the map packs

Installed fire in the hole CE edition as per instructions maps and tiles only.

Other than this lock up everything was working fine. Not sure why its doing this but if it helps improve the mods :)

Have just tried the save twice and don't get a CTD. Can you tell me precisely what it was that you were doing in case it's something specific?

Typo in researches.xml - Landing craft Disassembly protocol Xenopedia info is empty after research.

In Researches.AlienLandingCraftDatacoreDsb is typo in UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienLandingCraftDatacoreDSB" ); need to be correct to UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienLandingCraftDatacoreDsb" );

Surprising, I fix this typo long time ago.

Let me check.

Thanks for reporting

Kabill I believe MK is correct. There was a viper and a spike thrower in the small ship. The spiker thrower was blocking the viper from getting out to attack. If I try to rush in and shoot the spike thrower it locks up. Or it will lock if you try to get near the door hence the "reaction shot error". I stayed back from range and just managed to snipe kill the spike thrower. This freed the viper who I was lucky enough to unload on with the entire team.

Kabill I believe MK is correct. There was a viper and a spike thrower in the small ship. The spiker thrower was blocking the viper from getting out to attack. If I try to rush in and shoot the spike thrower it locks up. Or it will lock if you try to get near the door hence the "reaction shot error". I stayed back from range and just managed to snipe kill the spike thrower. This freed the viper who I was lucky enough to unload on with the entire team.

When does the lock-up happen? During your turn or the alien turn? If during your turn, which soldier were you using and what were they doing?

As I said, I tried twice moving into the UFO with troops, messing around to provoke reaction fire, and killing the aliens and nothing caused a crash. I was hopping to get some information from the debugger to find out what the cause is but since I can't make it crash I can't find the exact problem.

This is a issue of the engine itself, I identify only few locks of iteration of this problem before. The problem is mainly because the target calculations reach for a reason 0% accuracy, then when the action of "shot the projectile" is trigger all the calculations fall in a mistake. All the multipliers or divisions by 0 was impossible mathematically.

You need to avoid the situation, this issue can be recreated shooting a flamethrower at range 15 when accuracy reach 0%.

Nice! This means now I can actually blow things without abandon. Though I love C4, I always had to handicap myself to not bring one because on densely packed Terror map, single explosion very often led to unfortunate crashes. Awesome to see the mod keep up in recent developments. :)

Also sincere appreciation to the developers for taking my non-mandatory suggestion seriously, and even finding the time to fix it themselves!