where do you build your bases and how many bases do you build?

How many bases?

Where exactly do you build them?

Which ones do you outfit with a squad and dropship, or just a guard squad?

How many soldiers and vehicles do you station at the ones you do equip with a squad/dropship?

My first base is in Sudan, south of Khartoum. With three radars it covers nearly all of Europe, North and South Africa, Middle East, and a good chunk of Russia. This is my main base with a dropship and my main fighting force. I usually put another lab in my main base for a total of two.

My second and third bases are build in Panama and Taiwan for covering most of the Americas and Australasia. I usually build the second one wherever the UFOs are causing the most funding losses. Third base gets build in the other remaining location. Second and third base are first focused on intercepting with only hangars and radars, but my second base slowly evolves into a manufacturing center where I build as many workshops as I can financially. Second base usually gets a garage with a vehicle or two and I rotate and station a few troops there to form it's defense team. Third base usually gets loads of Defense Batteries (around 5) and remains an intercept base.

Now did the Lord say, "...Then thou must build to three. Three shall be the number of thy bases and the number of thy bases shall be three. Four shalt thou not build, neither shalt thou build two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out.

Once the number three, being the number of the bases, be reached, then launchest thou the Holy Foxtrots in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Edited by StellarRat

Now did the Lord say, "...Then thou must build to three. Three shall be the number of thy bases and the number of thy bases shall be three. Four shalt thou not build, neither shalt thou build two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out.

Once the number three, being the number of the bases, be reached, then launchest thou the Holy Foxtrots in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

/clap

But yeah, I build three bases. Main in Saudi Arabia, second in Cuba, third (eventually) in Japan (because Australia is generally lost by then). Only my main gets troops in it, the others are defended by air dominance. If I have money to waste later in the game, I'll throw down 4-5 turrets in my secondary bases.

Shooting down UFOs over water gives relations with the closest region.

WOW this hand me ROFL so hard! and to think I thought when I made my base in England and named it the Holy Hand Grenade I thought I was honoring Python! One problem. When your Avatar lives by the rule of two, how can you build three bases? :)

to the original bases question:

I actually run the full 9 bases. I start in either Newfoundland or Michigan unless I am doing the Holy Hand Grenade schtick. I routinely start multiple bases at the same time and build multiple identical bases slowly.

My first base is always my research base, It only gets the initial Manufacturing stats from game start, I build it to 5 hangers and everything else is research, I think that leaves me a max of 15 squaddies I can have with how it builds. I NEVER have 3 radars at my first base (it almost seems to attract the base assaults to it. My 2nd and 3rd bases are always manufacturing bases and eventually have LOTS of hangers. I could care less about the vehicles (I loose them quicker than I loose squaddies the way I play,) so I just load them down with Hangers (7 or 10 total) and everything else is Manufacturing capacity and ancillary items (3 radars, Stowage, Defense turret (ONLY EVER ONE) etc...) I ALWAYS try to intercept bogies with 3 aircraft, even if they are small or V Small. Prevents issues if you are ambushed.

But I have found it completely depends on how you play as to what is right FOR YOU! Kind of like Opinions. Everyone has got one and every one of them is RIGHT for the holder of that opinion.

I run 3 fully developed bases and then 6 "radar stations" basically.. Just a base with 3 radars to help cover the rest of the world. My interceptors from the 3 main bases can generally reach any ufos the radar bases detect, no need to give them their own aircraft.

Now did the Lord say, "...Then thou must build to three. Three shall be the number of thy bases and the number of thy bases shall be three...

Oh yes! You just made my night. Gotta watch the Tale of brave sir Robin now...

I run 3 fully developed bases and then 6 "radar stations" basically.. Just a base with 3 radars to help cover the rest of the world. My interceptors from the 3 main bases can generally reach any ufos the radar bases detect, no need to give them their own aircraft.

Id love to see that just for kicks.

• 2 weeks later...