Sectopods discussion/questions.

kahvipannu

So I had some time and created my own "Droneoid Sectopod":

Sectopod thix.jpg

It is quite obviously based on the Heavy Drone. I have changed the pointy "wings" - as skaianDestiny has put it - into weapon-arms, though the real Heavy Drone fires from the white area it seems in the game.

The body could be tilted a little bit so that it is not that even as it is now, but for presentation sufficient I guess.

My thought about, why the aliens want to use walkers instead of drones: Terror.

As a second thought, maybe also as a vehicle that can approach soldiers very close. For instance if such a walker will carry a "shield", it would be a counter measurement to the Xenonauts that use shields. So this is the quick answer of the aliens to that. Sure they could equipe their drones with force fields, but either they don't have it or the change of production line is too much.

I have made this in SolidWorks as my Blender skills are too low and it would take me ages to get this done. SolidWorks is more natural to me. Ok it is definitely more complex for such modell building, but I am fast with it. And here you can move legs and arms. :)

Sectopod thix.jpg

577e7d0d33813_Sectopodthix.jpg.38c6a27d8

As a second thought, maybe also as a vehicle that can approach soldiers very close. For instance if such a walker will carry a "shield", it would be a counter measurement to the Xenonauts that use shields. So this is the quick answer of the aliens to that. Sure they could equipe their drones with force fields, but either they don't have it or the change of production line is too much.

I wouldn't worry too much about a lore explanation - it's already canon that the aliens have a thing for mechanical bipeds (i.e. Androns) in spite of their inefficiency.

And, the models look cool!

I wouldn't worry too much about a lore explanation - it's already canon that the aliens have a thing for mechanical bipeds (i.e. Androns) in spite of their inefficiency.

And, the models look cool!

I always think about the reason why something should be in the game or how it should be in there. I don't want to break immersion or the "feel" of the game. This is important for me.

Actually, I thought the Lore+ Xenopedia text were so similar to Chris' texts as I did some translations, totally in line with the game.

And thanks.

Edited by thixotrop

I haven't planned it, just wanted to picture my imagination here to khavipannu.

So, I don't know what is necessary to do that and if I can do it - with my software and with my skills. I know all the animation is possible with blender (I did this with a tutorial) so you can walk it, shake and tilt its head and waver ist "arms". (Sigh, don't have the time to dig my way into that really.) With SolidWorks this is more work I guess, but my only option right now.

However, if someone would tell what is necessary, why not. Would love to try.

Drawing this was fun, though I would probably change it to be not a blunt copy as it is now.

I have some more features for it in mind:

- now it can see only to front (45°), it can be equipped with a backside view or other

- different weapons

- weapons to sides, back or 360° all around

- rocket launcher on back (like Fireaxis version

- shield to support alien troops with a mobile cover

- flame/gas/acid thrower

All this maybe with generation models like the drones in the game now.

I guess all the weapon modders would like this to use, but I don't know if anyone of them "upgraded" the alien armory.

So I had some time and created my own "Droneoid Sectopod":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4931[/ATTACH]

It is quite obviously based on the Heavy Drone. I have changed the pointy "wings" - as skaianDestiny has put it - into weapon-arms, though the real Heavy Drone fires from the white area it seems in the game.

The body could be tilted a little bit so that it is not that even as it is now, but for presentation sufficient I guess.

I have made this in SolidWorks as my Blender skills are too low and it would take me ages to get this done. SolidWorks is more natural to me. Ok it is definitely more complex for such modell building, but I am fast with it. And here you can move legs and arms. :)

Thixotrop, that looks pretty damn cool. I think that is way better presentation of Xeno-design than mine currently. Also justification for such unit to exist as kabill stated don't need to be 100% waterproof I think, since Androns are already a bit of a mystery why they are what they are. But Terror seems good enough excuse for me :P

Also, I use Milkshape almost all time with modelling :o I have an same issue figuring out one thing, and just sticking to it. It's easier to just do something with something you know, than learn the tricks again, so I can relate there.

I haven't planned it, just wanted to picture my imagination here to khavipannu.

So, I don't know what is necessary to do that and if I can do it - with my software and with my skills. I know all the animation is possible with blender (I did this with a tutorial) so you can walk it, shake and tilt its head and waver ist "arms". (Sigh, don't have the time to dig my way into that really.) With SolidWorks this is more work I guess, but my only option right now.

However, if someone would tell what is necessary, why not. Would love to try.

Drawing this was fun, though I would probably change it to be not a blunt copy as it is now.

I have some more features for it in mind:

- now it can see only to front (45°), it can be equipped with a backside view or other

- different weapons

- weapons to sides, back or 360° all around

- rocket launcher on back (like Fireaxis version

- shield to support alien troops with a mobile cover

- flame/gas/acid thrower

All this maybe with generation models like the drones in the game now.

I guess all the weapon modders would like this to use, but I don't know if anyone of them "upgraded" the alien armory.

If we can at some point make the sprites right, it would actually be really cool to have more options in terms of enemy design.Making such model just for presentation (which it is actual very good at) sounds a bit waste, since as I stated I think your design will please people who want more immersive unit in game more. We could have optional for more immersive, or old-school variations, or just making them invidual units in-game. More options is always better.

Now regarding anims, we really don't need that many to make it functional. Walking 8 directions is the biggest thing. If nothing helps, first iteration could be on tracks, it kinda defeats the idea of Mech, but would be start.

Shooting legs maybe spredding out a bit for better grip, and middle chassis lift, but in worst case that would not be animated at all. In best scenario different anims for "grenade" weapons.

Destruction, lots of cool explosions in game already, those can hide actual death, and carcass would be left behind the smoke.

It does sound doable, things can always be improved later. There is so little anims needed in the minimal, those could potentially be made with PS with trial and error, unless there is other reasons to use other programs.

Regarding weapons, I really like the idea of gas, that would go really well with the idea of terror unit.

Think I would still like to see the Scuttler make a comeback.

Wonder if any other assets were ever made other than this:

scuttler.jpg

*edit* The Juggernaut was the 3 tile tall enemy:

juggernaut2.png

Well that is interesting.

That Scuttler looks awesome, and 3 tile tall enemy obviously too. Why were such things cut out, and how much more is there these units?

Edited by kahvipannu

The Scuttler was designed to be a 1x1 tile small enemy but the model was apparently too thin to be able to make out any detail so was scrapped, I think it was replaced by the current light drone.

I think it would have looked better as a 2x2 or 3x3 though.

The Juggernaut was just too big.

The game engine barely works to allow you to shoot up or down a level so the work involved in making a unit that spanned multiple levels would have been a very large investment.

Goldhawk seem to have felt it wasn't worth it for a unit you might only see a few times in a whole game which I think is a fair estimation.

I haven't seen any additional assets for either unit unfortunately but Chris might still have some in his recycle bin or somewhere.

The Scuttler was designed to be a 1x1 tile small enemy but the model was apparently too thin to be able to make out any detail so was scrapped, I think it was replaced by the current light drone.

I think it would have looked better as a 2x2 or 3x3 though.

I see, that makes sense. Yeah, as bigger unit Scutter would make sense if that was the reason. The design is really cool, and would be shame to go waste.

And thats the famous Scuttler. I always look curious at this unit.

Did you have the images for this one? I can set any animation if you want :D

Im glad to help introducing new alien units.

Dragon, you do have hands full with your guys conversion mod, but if you could find time you could help with Sectopods and such too? If nothing else, in terms of advising and tutoring.

The game engine barely works to allow you to shoot up or down a level so the work involved in making a unit that spanned multiple levels would have been a very large investment.

Goldhawk seem to have felt it wasn't worth it for a unit you might only see a few times in a whole game which I think is a fair estimation.

Hmm is there a particular reason the Juggernaut couldn't just be downsized to a normal 1x1 enemy? I have the feeling it would fit pretty well (and much better than as some kind of a Transformers spawn :))

@kahvipannu

Thank you for your comments.

I can do the animations for any direction, as an avi-video, although I don't know the visual isometric angles. How to do the sprites out of that is unknown to me. The paint over to look like game style has to happen then too.

The destrucive models will take some additional time, but definitely want to have that too.

I have never heard of Milkshape (maybe because I am normally not looking around in game industry software tools). I stumbled over Blender because I want to do photorealistic paintings with 3D perspective and so on.

Do you think Milkshape will be better for this here than Blender? Or is it just "another" software to dig into?

@Gaudlike

Yes I have read about the Scuttler some time ago and that it should be a small fast spider like "facehugger-but not hugging" inspired robot.

The Juggernaut, if shrinked to Andron size, seems to me obsolete as it will just be another Andron. I would prefer a Sectopod then.

@Ogaburan

Doing this is for me not money related but time related. I have a full time job and so spare time for such things only at weekends. Ah so much to do so less time...

@TacticalDragon

Help is always appreciated, exactly as kahvipannu said, even if it is only for a push in the right way. I actually thought that having such a unit available for other modders, as I will definitely not do an own mod.

I have never heard of Milkshape (maybe because I am normally not looking around in game industry software tools). I stumbled over Blender because I want to do photorealistic paintings with 3D perspective and so on.

Do you think Milkshape will be better for this here than Blender? Or is it just "another" software to dig into?

Believe me, your not missing anything. It's rather simple/basic/also clunky in terms of use, but also in terms of functions. It happened to be good for the specific games I have been modding in past (Mostly older TW-titles), so I got it and have been just sticking to it, no special reason besides that. I wouldn't recommend it unless one is starting 3-d modelling and such and gets overhelmed by the more complex programs, it was initially designed for Half Life. It is a good starting ground, with low cost, something like 20€.

Edited by kahvipannu

I think this idea is cool as hell, and I'd definitely vote to give sectopods a flame/gas/chemical weapon to set them apart from all the other ETs that spew nothing but variations of plasma. I know Max has played around with alternate weapons quite a bit; maybe he'll join in on this