Air Combat, wishes from the field + some RW history that might be of intrest.

I love the air combat part of this game. I only wish it was even more complex. I like the feeling that i`m watching events on radar from the ground and hearing the realistic sounds of the pilots as they make contact. It`s just a sound byte and simple graphics but it way adds to immersion! I would hope that someone could add even more real world comms to the combat too.

Always surprised me that the guy`s at Firaxis didn`t think of this.

CAN have 4 cannons. It's just that 2 won't show up on the interface.

That is what I wrote.

I would hope that someone could add even more real world comms to the combat too.

I would hope it would be moddable so that we could set individual sounds for individual crafts...then we could have the standard ones for F16 and Russian comms for Mig (or a Russian accent). Also I was thinking about adding a helicopter, the jet sound effect in air combat kind of demotivates me.

That is what I wrote.

I would hope it would be moddable so that we could set individual sounds for individual crafts...then we could have the standard ones for F16 and Russian comms for Mig (or a Russian accent). Also I was thinking about adding a helicopter, the jet sound effect in air combat kind of demotivates me.

There are (at-least were) Airshow audio mp3s/cds out there that are pretty clean and free of copyrights. It would be a good place to look for the various engine sounds you want. Please note, the F100-PW-220E in a F-15 does NOT sound like the same F100-PW-220E Engine in an F-16. Likewise the F110-GE-100 in the F-16 does NOT sound like the F110-GE-400 in the F-14B/D Tomcat. There is a lot more to the sound of an aircraft engine than the core engine itself.

I would suggest recordings of HIGH SPEED passes. They won't be supersonic but they should howl appropriately. And if you really want a howl, look into the Vulcan B.2 SLOW SPEED passes. The Vulcan (A RAF strategic bomber for those not in the know,) could really screech and howl when flying low and slow. Noisy and unique in her sound. I have, what is for our purposes un-useable (Copyright) a CD with the Su-27S Flanker-A, the Vulcan B.2, the Tornado F.3 and various piston aircraft and helicopter sounds. I know the stuff is out there. I will try to look in the interim for some non copyrighted materials.

>There are (at-least were) Airshow audio mp3s/cds out there that are pretty clean and free of copyrights.

If you're looking for comms from actual combat, you can find some on youtube, probably free of copyright since it was uploaded to net.

It's attacking ground targets, not interceptions, but i didn't see any footage from real interceptions, just some training fights:

Ehm...thanks for searching guys.

But as I said this is not moddable atm

The Aircombat sounds are not tied to aircrafts. But to aircombat itself.

So it's impossible to implement atm and I do not have access to the game's code to try and change it. It would probably be complicated too.

Ehm...thanks for searching guys.

But as I said this is not moddable atm

The Aircombat sounds are not tied to aircrafts. But to aircombat itself.

So it's impossible to implement atm and I do not have access to the game's code to try and change it. It would probably be complicated too.

This explains why the combat speech does not actually tie into what the aircraft are doing. Still it`s very immersive.

Well I`ve been looking into the files as a noob and it seems quite possible to add more speech by just replacing the standard sound. It won`t tie in to exactly what the pilots are doing, but with some clever editing, it should be possible to give the impression that more air combat is taking place. Say like adding a little background comms too.

I just need to find a sound converter to read the sound files and then replace them.

Yep, it is possible to replace some files, maybe even add some (im saying maybe cos the game engine already surprised me with hard coding in so many places which shouldn't be hardcoded that Im constantly pessimistic :P).

I won't be doing it atm, as I have other work and I want to wait a while and see where the community expansion is heading - aircrafts wise.

Good luck Seafireliv

Btw...if i do implement helos then I will remove all jet sounds from air-combat. Do you think it would break immersion - not having those sounds around?

Also there is a soundtrack (jet sound) which lasts the whole fight,...its more of a background sound than what the radio broadcasts are. Do you guys have any idea what to replace it with? I mean something that would work for both helos and aircrafts.

Yep, it is possible to replace some files, maybe even add some (im saying maybe cos the game engine already surprised me with hard coding in so many places which shouldn't be hardcoded that Im constantly pessimistic :P).

I won't be doing it atm, as I have other work and I want to wait a while and see where the community expansion is heading - aircrafts wise.

Good luck Seafireliv

Btw...if i do implement helos then I will remove all jet sounds from air-combat. Do you think it would break immersion - not having those sounds around?

Also there is a soundtrack (jet sound) which lasts the whole fight,...its more of a background sound than what the radio broadcasts are. Do you guys have any idea what to replace it with? I mean something that would work for both helos and aircrafts.

I`m no modder, but i`ve been lurking and the files aren`t as hard to get into as I had imagined. i`ve already changed some screens just experimenting. I`ll try some things, but don`t anyone expect anything from me yet!

I`m not sure what you have against jet sounds. Why do you want helos so much? As far as I see there are no Helos in the jet combat.

Something I'm curious about:

2) Using non copyrighted names for aircraft that actually existed. I can't speak for Mikoyan i Gurevich (the i is a Russian abbreviation for 'and' hence MiG not MIG nor Mig design bureau or OKB,) but the USAF is who sets the designation of US fighter planes. Therefore no copyright exists on any official USAF Designation (which includes the popular name.) It is considered public domain.

While the USAF designations might be public domain, are the designs themselves still considered to be the intellectual property of the contracted designer? Would that have any bearing on how those aircraft could be portrayed in-game without explicit permission from those contractors?

Something I'm curious about:

While the USAF designations might be public domain, are the designs themselves still considered to be the intellectual property of the contracted designer? Would that have any bearing on how those aircraft could be portrayed in-game without explicit permission from those contractors?

1st) let me say I am NOT a lawyer, just a guy who has some experience in this due to a different game system and some magazine articles I have written (published and web) That and I think I have a pretty good grasp on logic... or is that just my ego talking :>

Any Images based on official US Government photographs or descriptions are free and clear. Thus, My suggestion to use the F-16XL is not a major issue. There are literally thousands of photos of the two F-16XL Prototypes out there due to their years of service in NASA post failed attempt at what became the strike eagle. Now if you were to try to make your own F-16 based on anything but those very exterior photographs, you could run the gamut of design Copyright infringements. As modders, we are not trying to sell anything there-for "free use" or "fair use" or whatever the legal term is should apply. If there are Copyright lawyers on the list it would be nice to hear from the experts (we realize that any statements they say will not be legally binding, just like my statements are not legally binding.)

If just using a Name or likeness caused Copyright infringements then wikipedia and any other published web source would be illegal. Let alone any books that do not expressly get permission from the manufacture.