Illogical things in the game

Yes, Jukaga. The game does leave some of that to your own imagination. Your supposed to be able to imagine an American Airforce General convincing Jimmy Carter that despite the fact we can't rescue those hostages in Iran, we can totally protect ourselves from the XENO threat... Sorry, right now I've got some beef with the United States because they drop my funding so fast. Next game ill put my second base in the Dominican Republic or Mexico rather than Mongolia. I do find that having my first base in Sardinia and my next base in Mongolia gives me awesome coverage of Europe, The Soviet Union, and Asia. If the U.S. was a bit more patient we would totally build a third base in the Dominican Republic. Hell ill even cave and build it in Texas. But, no, Its been a few months, they were only giving me a few hundred thousand dollars representing a pittance compared to their combined military spending... NERD RAGE!

If you fail you throwing roll, then the grenade may hit any cover (bush/crate/desk etc) that was on the line of fire.

Yes I learned this one the hard way. Tossed a frag at an alien that I just really needed dead. This was the first frag I had ever thrown and didn't realize they didn't explode until the end of your turn. But anyway I figured I had just hit a bug or the soldier had screwed up as I couldn't see the grenade anywhere. End of the turn and I realize he A) had thrown it and B) it bounced of the crate he was hiding behind and had landed at his feet. And boom goes the grenade and splat goes my best assault.

As for the some of the improbable story sections of the game I find it more unlikely that at the time this game takes place any military organization working for both the US and SU could exist at all. And even if it could, the number of scientists talented enough to study something as alien as well, alien tech you can employ as well as soldiers taken from all parts of the world (including US, SU) just seems so unlikely to me given how small scale the threat is at the start of the game. I can see it being formed later on when the threat is much larger but it would have likely been way to late by that point. Though it's easy enough to suspend this disbelief when actually playing and the soldier thing I explain away as we are getting people who either left their respective armed forces to join Xenonauts or were the type of soldier that would have been discharged from their respective military organization sooner rather then later anyway.

~Zero~

Yes I learned this one the hard way. Tossed a frag at an alien that I just really needed dead. This was the first frag I had ever thrown and didn't realize they didn't explode until the end of your turn. But anyway I figured I had just hit a bug or the soldier had screwed up as I couldn't see the grenade anywhere. End of the turn and I realize he A) had thrown it and B) it bounced of the crate he was hiding behind and had landed at his feet. And boom goes the grenade and splat goes my best assault.

As for the some of the improbable story sections of the game I find it more unlikely that at the time this game takes place any military organization working for both the US and SU could exist at all. And even if it could, the number of scientists talented enough to study something as alien as well, alien tech you can employ as well as soldiers taken from all parts of the world (including US, SU) just seems so unlikely to me given how small scale the threat is at the start of the game. I can see it being formed later on when the threat is much larger but it would have likely been way to late by that point. Though it's easy enough to suspend this disbelief when actually playing and the soldier thing I explain away as we are getting people who either left their respective armed forces to join Xenonauts or were the type of soldier that would have been discharged from their respective military organization sooner rather then later anyway.

~Zero~

That's what the Iceland Incident covers. There was an earlier incursion, Xenonauts was set up to investigate (and then was promptly forgotten about). When the real invasion starts the funding nations are prepared to throw some resources your way since you seem to be doing OK

That's what the Iceland Incident covers. There was an earlier incursion, Xenonauts was set up to investigate (and then was promptly forgotten about). When the real invasion starts the funding nations are prepared to throw some resources your way since you seem to be doing OK

Lol it seems that nobody actually reads the book that comes with the game. My only problem is with the name Kirov. Generalissimus Kirov was the leader character of my Nationstates nation, back when I did Nationstates.

But yeah seriously give it a good look, helps you submerge yourself into the games atmosphere.

Heres the truth of the matter of Women in combat roles, It has become political because every politician wants to preach about equality but has never seen a women preform in combat nor has ever served in combat. Everyone speaks of women in Israel serving as front line troops. This is an exaggerated fact. Women were/are required to serve in the military. Not as infantry or or as "front line" troops. Yes they receive training and some have found themselves in combat, just as some women have found themselves in combat in the USA. But no Israel and USA do not have women as combat arms currently (and for good reason lol) I speak from experience as well.

7 year active duty Navy SEAL

• 3 weeks later...

Illogical things in game...hmmmm

What I find illogical is the use of radar scanning range. 'cause in my opinion doesn't matter how many radars you have installed/build the range should not be increased but the radar sweep per sec of the covered area is increased by building more radars, which was also the case in the original X-com series. The range was increased by building advanced radar.

The second thing which I find illogical is the day/night influence on aliens field of vision, While humans do suffer from day/night effect the aliens do not and not only that but their weapon range is also higher then any kind of human weapon, which this can be swallowed some how 'cause of alien superior technological advance but at least aliens should have some vision penalties during day/night shift.

As it is now, all the aliens need to do is to send one battleship filled with Praetors to MC everyone, everywhere. They sure have the means to do that.

Re the 'traitor' nations that bail out of the organization. Originally, in X-com, those nations would form a pact with the aliens. Meaning a big chunk/most of their goverments would consist of aliens. And they would never accept to surrender those regions/states back to us, ever. With that I am perfectly okay.

Hm, the alien weapons are not suited ergonomically for us Humans? many/most of the aliens look like Humanoid species to me. Two legs (usually), one head, two arms. Heck, even their UFO's are human-ergonomic in shape: doors with touchpads, padded high recliner for their cushy lil alien butt to rest on etc. Take the blue shirt for example: how the heck is he able to operate the plasma rifle at all? To him our laser rifle would be a much easier weapon to tote around.

I don't think Goldhawk's mision/goal was to make a revolution, but an evolution. Everything is based on Julian Gollop's ideas. And he had to tinker with 320x200 graphics and microcomputers with 16/48/64 kilobyes of ram. HIS concept was yes, revolutional. The concept was born during the microcomputer Stone Age. Today, it's too easy to complain about game flaws, inconsistencies (sic) and illogicallities (sic). I am happy that the 'remake' was made by a developer company of gamers for gamers. It could have been much worse. It could have been Electronic Arts :D

What annoys me is the fact that its 1979, the cold war is still strong and there should be a ZILLION fighters all around the world, yet YOU have to use 2 normal fighters to hunt single UFOs.

Im like "wat ?"

Or Ufo lands, you find 5 civs, 2 neutral soldiers.

wat ?

Where are tanks, special ops ? The world is building on military investitions and yet you use 10 Privates to clear UFOs...

ESPECIALLY when you land into a base full of t-80s and bradleys, yet all the soldiers you see are 2 guys with m16s.

having more organized local forces woulda been nice addition- more aliens, and more locals to counter them.

anyone remember XCOM apocalypse? in that game UFOs actually sometimes got shot down by megapol hovercopcars and if they were dumb enough to hit any crime syndicate buildings with their smaller UFOs, the skies would suddenly be full of osiron/psyke/diablo hovercars and bikes and even valkyrie interceptors shoting the poor bastards out of the skies.

Edited by corpse